Arrogant teachers????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher girl, Oct 14, 2012.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Oct 14, 2012

Ok... back ground info on me.... ( I am a student teacher and I passed all my teacher exams and am almost done with my masters in special education- super excited to be teaching soon but not arrogant about it) --- I have friends that have graduated and gotten their teaching licenses too.. but have COMPLETELY changed.... like they are way arrogant now. Why is that? They act so above other people... and their egos are enormous... they brag like all the time about their jobs, and feel superior or smarter than the rest of the world... Its so annoying...

I also work as a paraprofessional and I hate working with some teachers in the building because they always look down on me and other aides. Some won't even speak to you if you say hello/ good morining... I know one teacher, and she gives teacher assistants her old clothes... like, not in a nice way, but in a I think you could dress more professional... and doesn't want them helping her kids with any sort of academic activities, because she feels they aren't smart enough too, Even though, aides are suppose to be 80% instructional and every aide in our building has at least a bachelors degree. she doesn't speak to teacher assistants, janitors, ... basically anyone that is considered beneath her....position. Have you ever seen this? Why do they get so pompous, and holier than thou... It really grinds my gears, because it's so rude.... I guess because I am on the other side of it. I get scared that the same will happen to me, because I see it alot and some people let teaching go their heads... Does the world treat them differently ? Why do some people act that way? I've met nice teachers, not ALL teachers act that way, but some... can be real jerks, why?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2012

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I would definitely say this is not the way aides/paras are treated everywhere. In my experience, new grads (in all fields, not just education) tend to show a slightly confident nature (not ready to use your word arrogant) when they get their first job/independence/salary. 5 year HS reunions are particularly awful. Hang in there!

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 14, 2012

It sounds like that teacher has a stick up her ask. :) I wouldn't extend any courtesy to her if I were in your position; it seems as if she doesn't deserve much to begin with.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

One of the best pieces of advice I was given as a new teacher was to make the secretaries and custodians my friends...same applies to paras. No one is 'above' anyone ls...it takes a team to make a school work. I'm so sorry your experience has shown you otherwise.:(

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

Just to play devil's advocate for a second....Some people (teachers included) just aren't very social. What you could be interpreting as arrogance could really be shyness. It could even be a lack of attention to other people and things. I've certainly known people who were thinking about something else and didn't even notice that someone had greeted them or asked them a question. It happens, and it's usually not malicious.

My advice to you would be to avoid trying to find reasons for other people's behaviors. Focus on your behavior, which you can control, rather than the behavior of others, which you can't control.

7. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 14, 2012

I would say that's unique to your situation.

When I worked as a para 99.9% of teachers went out of their way to be kind, friendly, and supportive.

I can only think of one case in 2+ years where a teacher treated me like dirt, but she came back and apologized for it later.

The only way you'll become like that is if you allow yourself to. Just be genuinely nice to everyone.

As far as your friends go - there are people like that all over the world. There is still a strong school of thought that one shouldn't mingle with subordinates, whether it be in business or any other profession. I think it's a ludicrous way to live, but some people swear by it.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

Some people are arrogant, period. Why they think they are better than anyone else, I'll never know.

Just shrug it off and move on with your day.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 14, 2012

I've definitely done that myself before! At school I feel like I'm always "running" to the next thing and my mind is going a million miles a minute. I'm thinking of all the things I need to get done in the next few minutes and don't always notice other people in the hallway, and I certainly don't have time to stop and chat. I do sit down and eat with the people that have the same lunch time as me, and I'm perfectly friendly then, but that's only a small portion of the staff.

We have one custodian who comes in right after school and is always wanting to have long conversations. I always say hi and I don't mind talking for a minute, but sometimes I do get irritated. Not because I think his position is "below" me by any means, but because I'm trying to get my stuff done so I can finally get out of there! Once I really had to stay in the room because I was entering DIBELS data (the website doesn't work on my home computer) and he stayed there talking for almost 20 minutes!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

It takes MANY people with many different titles to make a school successful. I may be a great teacher, but my students are great students because of my fellow great teachers, the bus driver, the secretary, the maintenance crew, the cafeteria staff, the principal, the vice, the sup.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 14, 2012

Some teachers aren't as friendly as they should be to STs. Hang in there, once you become a teacher you'll find most are very friendly.

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 14, 2012

I can understand where your coming from since I've done this myself. However, at what point do you think it becomes malicious? I would find it hard to believe this teacher doesn't notice others every single time.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2012

teacher girl, I was in your shoes once...I earned 2 credentials & got my MA in special ed too! :) Yes, there are many on their high horse, that's for sure.

I've since switched gears & am now an SLP (speech-language pathologist) & if you think teachers are arrogant, you should be in a room full of SLPs! :eek: It's unreal how haughty they are! They really think they're something, probably due to the facts that there's only one SLP on every campus, so they're the expert for the whole school on speech & language issues & all SLPs MUST have a Masters degree, so they probably think they're on the level of the principal or higher, I guess. It's really sickening to see! I'm a pretty newly hired SLP, but I used to sub for these SLPs for years who I'm now at the same level as (& no longer below them on the totem pole). They're nice when it's just the two of us talking somewhere else when it'sjust the two of us, but in a room of us all together, you can forget about it. They'll say hi, then sit as far away in the room as possible with their noses in the air. Plus, all the SLPs at my district are females, so they really have their bitch meter up high. :mad: All I can do is grin & make the best of it. Thank God I only have to see them, but once a month & that's way too often!

Someone I know who works in another position at my district said to me more than once that all the SLPs really think they're smart & an odd group at that.

14. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Oct 14, 2012

Hey Teacher Girl, same is sometimes true for teachers... I work with a teacher colleague who has 2 Master's and is qualified to teach SPED. I feel like she often questions and looks down upon some of the things I do (2nd year teacher, no MA) and I just shrug it off. I'm not trying to prove a point to anyone.

15. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 14, 2012

I've seen that attitude, but it is with older, experienced teachers. It is odd that this attitude is coming from teachers who have very little experience.

16. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2012

Some people let all their schooling accomplishments, degrees, and all that shett get to their heads. They tend to flash it, and brag about it every chance they get, and in everyone's faces. I ignore these kind of people and just do my thing. It is not worth my time to listen or read about what they are bragging about, SO I ignore them. They are not paying my mortgage or paying me, so why waste my time listening to them? I see teaching as; I am there for the kids, and would not give a rat's a$$ about those who act like they are the best animals that God has placed on earth. They would wonder about why you don't pay much attention to them, and they will finally realize that nobody gives a crap about all their bragging, ignorance, and jerky attitude.
    It's one GREAT thing to be educated and decorated, so show it by what you do with the kids, BUT to sit there, brag about it, and treat others like dirt is just not right. They will be humbled some day, when they will least expect it!
    Every dog has its day.
    Rebel1

17. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 14, 2012

I'd take her clothes and burn them....but that's just me! :)

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 14, 2012

:spitwater:

19. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2012

:lol:

Take the clothes, put them in the staff lounge with this sign on it.
    "These styles are outdated! I want the latest styles!"
    Rebel1

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2012

Arrogance can certainly happen with BOTH the youthful & the elderly. The older ones know they have the experience & vast knowledge. The young ones are arrogant because they're still young & looking good & have this attitude like "look what I've accomplished at 20 something." And let's say the young ones happen to come from well-to-do families & are already driving the fancy cars, etc., well they just figure they've got the brains & the looks & are already "halfway home" so to speak.

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 15, 2012

:yeahthat:

It's not just teachers. It's people, period.:(

22. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Oct 15, 2012

:yeahthat:
    I was about to say literally the same thing. All my life people have accused me of being meaning/arrogant/snotty when in truth, I'm just really shy.

As a matter of fact, I'm sure there's an aide at my school that would say all kinds of nasty things about me because I don't greet her in the hallway or act particularly friendly when she comes into my classroom because when I first started teaching at my school, she was extremely unfriendly to me.

I didn't know that we had to pick our students up from the playground (at my old school the aides delievered them) and she was pretty rude about it.

After that, whenever I'd see her in the hallway, I used to try and smile and say hello to her and she'd only say something if I said something first. After several months of being kind to someone that acted like they were gracing me with their presence, I finally stopped. Now when I see her, I don't say anything.

Do I think I'm better than her? Nope. But I'm sure anyone who didn't know about my experience would shake their head and think "Wow, Lyn's totally stuck up."

Also as a teacher at my school, we are often put on the defense. Low test scores? The teacher isn't planning rigorous enough lessons. Children not progressing as much as the P thinks? Teacher isn't challenging them enough. Behavioral issues? The teacher needs better management. Missed your grade quota? You're irresponsible.

I feel like I am a whipping girl for parents and the administration, so I've had to develop a tough shell or else I'd be in tears everyday.