Armed Forces Door Contest

Discussion in 'General Education' started by uclalum, Apr 26, 2009.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

Next month we are having an armed forces door contest and I don't have any good ideas. Should I divide the door into sections for the marines, air force, army, and navy or should I just choose one? Any ideas? What title should I put? I kind of want to make it 3-dimensional somehow.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

Do the kids create stuff for the door contest?

...and could you remind us what grade you teach?

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2009

It should be all Air Force. Preferably transport planes being loaded and unloaded.

5. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Apr 26, 2009

As the wife of a Marine, I am picturing a door decorated like dress blues. The colors and patterns are so recognizable - royal blue with the red stripe on the slacks, the navy blue coat with wide white belt, black patent leather shoes., big brass buttons. You can find examples of ribbons and such on the web. Rank is indicated by the familiar gold stripes on the arm and years of service by stripes on the lower arms.

Be sure to let us know what you decide to go with.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

I think I would do a huge Thank You note, with letters from the kids thanking all who serve.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 27, 2009

What is the medal for above and beyond the call of duty? The bronze star, I think. Or maybe some other medal honorific. Or a collage of those honors that might apply.

midwestteacher has a great idea if you can incorporate the other branches of the military into the scheme, then you'd be inclusive.

8. Treyser

Treyser Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

I agree about the Air Force but I believe a few aircraft AND a few computer systems would look better.

Former 3C0 here :D

9. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

As a soon to be Army wife, I say Army strong! I would make the door camoflauge (but you could incorporate all of the camo from the different services)

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2009

Is that like a c3p0?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

You need to go with all service branches.. maybe a red white and blue theme.. Hooray for Heroes...:2cents:

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 27, 2009

Air, Land and Sea....
    Clouds with airforce airplanes
    Army and Marine images on land.
    Sea area with a Navy carrier.
    Thanks for your protection.

Another idea is to adopt a soldier or unit. Then start donated care packages. Locate your local military unit for help with this. Decorate your door with the letters, care package list items (and keep it growing), and anything else related to the project. The base you contact may have stuff they can give you and the students. Take pictures of your project.

I know our base has really cool booklets with sample letters that the kids can use to start out writing to their deployed parent. I'm sure they have similar things for kids wanting to adopt a soldier.

Plus you could not only have images of that service member's branch but also information about where the service member is deployed (if they can tell you) or even a general country would suffice.

I say contact your local military base and start from there. You might even adopt a veteran post instead. They can come out and be guest speakers. Let the creativity flow from the project instead of trying to do it the other way around.

I'm assuming you have some time for all of this. :)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 27, 2009

What's funny is that when my husband came home from Afghanistan, the thing I remember the most is the homecoming when he came off that plane. Some cub scouts and other children volunteer groups had come with homemade cards and just started handing out what they had. One kid insisted my husband take it. My husband didn't see him. I saw him tuck it in the outer pouch of his bag really quickly. Regardless of what any of those cards said, the sentiment meant a lot to me. Something like this would take a day and a half and you could post pictures of their service.

(Providing that you could time the fieldtrip at the right time.)

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Apr 27, 2009

Yeah, the teacher and the kids can participate. I teach 5th grade.

15. Treyser

Treyser Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

How about half the door as a world map (with borders and such) that has stars that show everywhere in the world soldiers are located.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 28, 2009

Or you can see if any your kids have a mom, dad, grandma, or grandpa are veterans. If they could bring in a picture it would be a neat tribute to them.