arm hair

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irma, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 4, 2009

Pardon me if this post seems odd but lately, after watching Bridezillas, I realized that some people shave their arm hair. That got me to thinking whether or not I should start? I am curious, how many of you opt for smooth arms- if so, does the hair grow back thicker/darker or is it no problem. My arms aren't particularly hairy but maybe they'd look better w/o hair.....:confused:

3. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jul 4, 2009

I used to shave my arm hair. When I let it grow back, it came in thinner. Also, I didn't have to shave it as often as my legs.

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

I shave or wax my arms. Honestly, I would get electrolysis to remove all of my body hair below my head if I could afford it. I love being smooth.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 4, 2009

Irma,

It does not grow back darker. The hair stays the same color.

It does not grow back thicker -- but instead of a tapering end, it will be a blunt stubbly cut -- which seems to many people to be less attractive.

I wouldn't shave your arm hair if it is dark or noticeable -- the reason being at when it grows back, it will be stubbly, and you won't like the feel of that. If you have a day when you can't do it, you will look and feel all stubbly, and that is not a pleasant (or feminine) feeling.

If you really want to get rid of arm hair, consider having it waxed a few times. The first time is agony -- but after that, you learn to deal with it.. it is 10 seconds of a scream to be done with it for quite a while.

After you wax a while, the hair tends to come back softer and thinner. It also comes back with that natural tapered end..not a "cut off" end like with shaving. As you get older, if you wax enough, it stops coming back altogether.

I don't think you will be happy with the result of shaving your arms. Just my opinion. Waxing gives a much better effect. If you aren't sure, you can try shaving. If you hate it, wait until the stubble grows out a bit (a terrible in-between time, but you can handle it) and then go get it waxed just the once. That way, it will grow back with the tapered tip if you decide you want to stop shaving afterall. You aren't stuck with grown-out stubbly hair on your arms.

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

You can also use NAIR or another hair removal product.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2009

lol. I always said if I won the lottery, the first frivolous thing I would do is get full body electrolysis. Everywhere but my head and eyebrows.

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

I'm happy that I am not alone.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

Nair gives me a chemical burn.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

I shave my arms. The hair that grows back is not really that stubbly, not like the legs. No one has commented on it and my boyfriend didn't even know. I don't do it that often because I forget about it. I had a lot of long hair and when I found out my roommates did it, I tried it and have never gone back.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

When you get older you wish you had some on your arms!!!

Where did it go??

When did it go??

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

I've heard laser hair removal only works on dark hair. Being a blond, I'm out of luck...

13. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

Really Jem? Darn. I'm out of luck then too.

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

That's not actuallly true. It has to do with the contrast between your skin and hair. And you don't go by the color of the hair on your head, but the color of the hair on your arms (or whatever area you are going to have the hair removal.) If it is blonde (very, very light blonde) and you are very, very pale (the kind who burns instead of tanning) then you are not a good candidate for laser hair removal. If you have skin that tans, you can have laser hair removal. The only real exception is people who have "colorless" hair (white blonds...or towheads) and again, that is only if that is the hair color where you want the hair removed. Towheads tan incredibly well, but have whitish blonde hair.

It also depends on the quality of the laser. There are more expensive lasers that do fine with blonde hair, but you find them only at the best physicians office.

I've known several blondes who have successfully had laser hair removal -- and just at a regular office.

It is also hard for very, very black skinned people with very black hair to get successful removal -- again, it is the lack of contrast.

A simple consultation visit will give you the answer. If you are a poor candidate, they will tell you. They don't want to deal with candidates who won't be successful, anyway.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 5, 2009

My arms don't have an extreme amount of hair on them, but sometimes I wish they were just smooth. But I wouldn't shave them if I were you. I remember my friend used to shave her arms in high school...and sometimes when we'd go out I'd be like "ouch you're poking me" cuz if her arm rubbed up against you, it'd be stubbly sometimes and it was kinda weird, haha.

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I had mine waxed for several years, and am genetically a very dark-haired German, Italian, French, and Cherokee Indian woman. :) However, my arm hair is very fine and light colored now. I give credit for that to the multiple years of waxing. I would never have touched my arms with a razor though, due to the previously listed genetics, I would be mistaken for Bigfoot, literally, I am 6' 3" ! If I was walking around with rugs on my arms, it would not be pretty! :lol:

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 5, 2009

I've NEVER touched my arm hair in my life. It never bothered me enough to have it removed.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I am glad yousaid that Hoot Owl - it's not just me!

19. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 5, 2009

I have shaved my arms before and I got bumps like ingrown hairs.

20. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Wow!! I never noticed the hair on my arms until this thread! It is blond right now, so it doesn't bother me. I don't think I could handle the waxing - OUCH! So I'll just stick with my lightly haired arms. :)