arm brace???still??? (just venting)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiffharmon2001, Sep 15, 2009.

1. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 15, 2009

I have a child in my class who has been wearing an arm brace/sling kind of thing since the first day of school (nearly a month):(. Supposedly, the day before school started, he fell at home and hurt his shoulder:unsure: (can't remember exactly what they said he did). Then, a few days later, at after school daycare, another child pushed him off at table:eek:hmy: (don't ask me why he was standing on a table) and "broke" his elbow.
    This thing wraps around his stomach, fastened with velcro, then had a loop to hold his elbow next to his body, and another to hold his hand against his stomach. It looks very uncomfortable:crosseyed.
    The thing is, he has never once complained about it hurting. In fact, he has been using his arm to climb on the playground (which usually results in the velcro coming undone and the brace falling off) and in the classroom.:confused:
    He is allowed to take it off during rest time and when he goes to the bathroom. The rest of the time, he has to wear it.
    I'm beginning to think it is more for mom's benefit that his. I know there's nothing I can do about it. I'm no doctor. It's just annoying and I needed to vent about it.:p
    Thanks! I feel better now.:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2009

My guess would be that it was an ugly break, and they want to be certain it sets correctly. I'm guessing that they're erring on the side of caution with a vary active 3 year old.

My sister broke her arm at age 3, and it didn't set correctly. To this day she can't fully straighten that arm.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2009

He may have broken his collarbone. I fell the same way when I was little and broke my collarbone and had a similar brace.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2009

Do the parents know he's climbing on recess equipment and taking off the brace at school? Make a 'concerned and compassionate' call home to find out the scoop.

6. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 15, 2009

I would involve the school nurse and try to get a definitive answer as to what he should or should not be doing.

There are certainly injuries that would require him to wear the brace, but I think they would also limit him from play ground equipment.

7. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 15, 2009

The funny thing about the brace is that it really doesn't seem to brace anything. It's so loose when he gets here in the morning that I really can't see how it's doing anything but making him uncomfortable.
    I have a parent meeting tomorrow night, so maybe I can catch them and just "check" on how his arm is doing.

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 15, 2009

I would suggest not trying to catch them per se, but to instead go over protective.

After all, he shouldn't be climbing on playground equipment if he's so injured. Come from the angel of limiting what he can participate in because of his injuries and your concern for his well being.

I'm betting that the brace will go away very quickly if he has to sit out activities.

9. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

If it's not preventing him from doing his academics, then I don't see the problem. Just inform his parents that he is able to use the playground equipment and clarify that they are ok with this. Don't suggest he refrain from it - for all anyone knows, the doctor is ok with him going about normal activities with the sling. Bottom line is, as long as he's doing what the parents and doctor want him to, it's nobody else's place to try to change his activities.

10. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

Of course, they didn't show up for the parent meeting tonight...

I'm not trying to be cold hearted. If he truly needs it, then I want him to have it.

I've had some other issues with this child where the mom just does things to make him stand out and draw attention to him. Nothing really bad or wrong, just obnoxious. Like I said, I was just venting.

It does, though, disrupt my class when I have to keep stopping and putting it back on him 10 times a day. So, if it isn't needed, then I would really prefer it not come to school.

11. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 16, 2009

Oh joy!!!!

I still think finding a way to make it a bigger issue than she is willing to deal with is the way to go. That said, it's going to be tough to do so with her being unwilling to show up for a parent meeting.

I doubt that this can be resolved at your level and is something you will have to simply deal with unless the P or AP is willing to take it head on.