Arghhh - horrible pencil sharpener

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katenar, Oct 28, 2007.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Oct 28, 2007

Okay - last year at my old school they purchased every classroom the X-ACTO School Pro sharpener. Every couple months they would have to buy replacements for the sharpeners. In addition to the sharpeners burning out, I also had problems in which we would sharpen our pencils and the lead would fall out. This would continue to happen until the pencil which was once brand new was now a little one that you could barely hold.

However, I though that perhaps it was the pencils because I was using the Staples one cent pencils. This year I switched schools and had to purchased a sharpener for my room and I bought the X-ACTO Magnum 1645 Heavy Duty Electric Pencil Sharpener. I am still having the same problem with my pencils!!! We are going through 20 pencils a day!!!! :down:

Now is it the pencils or is it the sharpener?? I think it's the sharpener so my question is does anyone have a high quality pencil sharpener that you can recommend. I want one that will make a nice point with the lead. Please help - this is ridiculous. :mad:

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2007

I don't know! I had heard great things about the X-acto School Pro, so I recently bought one. I haven't used it much yet, but will be very disappointed if I run into similar problems.

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Oct 28, 2007

The one I got from Target - Target brand - is battery-opearted, small, and works great! It's only $9.99!

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 28, 2007

I switched to mechanical pencils. I bought these bic mini pencils for my students (10 in a pack) and they are working really well. I told the kids they could only have 2 this year!!! So far, none have been lost! They come to me for lead, but I give them about 3 pieces at a time, and they don't use it up too quickly.

I did have to teach them how to close the pencils (lead was snapping every time they put them in the cup) and how to use them at first (a couple didn't know) They also each have big pink eraser for big erasing jobs, since the erasers on the bic pencils are small.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

It's the sharpener! Last year, a student bought that same sharpener for all his fifth grade teachers for Christmas and within two months all of our sharpeners had died!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2007

It's the sharpener. I had one in my classroom,and it would never work!! My students had to go next door to sharpen their pencils in the morning.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 28, 2007

I went the mechanical pencil route too... I hate the feel of wooden pencils anyway, and the sound of pencil sharpeners drives me batty too.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2007

uh..x-acto people make knives! problem #1

a lot of pencils are being made in China, and other imports are just horrible!! I know the dollar store pencils will just shrivel up when I sharpen them. I can spot one a mile away! I toss em, and give the kid one of mine!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2007

I have the good old kind you actually have to crank. Can;t beat it. :)

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 28, 2007

I wish I had a pencil sharpener that worked well, period. Our crank one always falls apart. The electric pencil sharpener that I used as a kid, circa 1992, that I brought into the classroom is already going down hill. It makes this terrible grinding sound and won't stop until you beat on it. This is why I have an electric pencil sharpener on my wish list. :)

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 28, 2007

I suggest you let the kids use the mechanical ones and you go through them a few times a week with the electric ones. The kids overgrind. They don't know how to judge (and don't care) which pencils shouldn't touch it. They don't empty the shavings often enough. And even though it says heavy duty..don't believe them.

13. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

I have already been through two of the X-Acto sharpeners since school started. The school is supposed to order me a new one but they always get the same kind. I try to tell them to switch brands, but what do I know? I'm only the one who uses it!:rolleyes:

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2007

I have had my school pro sharpener for at least four years. It works great! The only time it eats a whole pencil is when it is a cheapo pencil. The other sharpener in my room is from school specialty. it is their house brand, and it is an awesome sharpener.

15. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 29, 2007

This year I ordered the old fashioned crank kind and I love it. I got tired of the mechanical ones breaking down. Our media clerk sends them out the electric ones to be repaired but after a few weeks they are broken again. My parents have had the same crank sharpener in their home for 50 years and it's still going strong!

16. katenar

katenar Cohort

Oct 29, 2007

That just the problem - it's not the kids. I'm the only one who used the electric sharpener. (Sorry if I gave the impression it was the kids - I'm tired. ;))

Truly - I barely sharpen the pencil and the tips break right out of the pencil. It so horrible. I decided to make this a teachable moment and we are going to write business letters to the company about their product.