Argh! Not my day..and kids acting up

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jan 27, 2010.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

I had to have a sub today for work purposes. My student teacher was going to sub, but ended up sick! Yikes! I had no idea what she had planned because she is submitting the plans a day ahead to the elementary coordinator.

So, finally get another sub, and have to explain what I could understand from the plans to her and leave.

I come back at the end of the day and find out the class had just misbehaved all day! They have been acting up all week, and I just don't get it. Their music teacher complained, the librarian complained, and today their PE was cancelled due to their misbehavior. I don't know what to do. I told them early this week if they get 5 checks, they lose computer and free-time on Friday. They are now up to 3 checks after today. I moved them out of their groups, and I am very anti sit-in-rows alone, but all they are doing is talking right now. I have one super smart boy who keeps arguing with all the kids. Also, I know my student-teacher is doing an awesome job, but she still doesn't have that "teacher" voice, which is normal, and sometimes the kids get away with talking while she is instructing, which is something she is working on. I am wondering if this change in teachers is partly due to what's happening. I don't know. I seriously felt like crying when I heard what happened because I feel like this is a reflection of me as a teacher...Oh, and apparently one of my little students knocked down a metal sign and it hit my coordinator in her back-she was using an ice-pack the rest of the day... :( Any advice??? I really need some... Thanks guys!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

That was my first suspicion-- that YOU need to take control for a few days and get them back into the routine of listening to YOU.

It sounds as though they feel that there's no one really in charge.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

I would LOVE to do that, but technically my ST is supposed to be teaching at this point (I still teach math and science, but that's not until the afternoon and is only the last 2 hours of the day).Also, I wouldn't even know how to approach my ST about this without offending her. Maybe I should just assert myself more when she is teaching? I have been almost completely invisible when she is teaching because I want her to experience and learn how to control the classroom, and I feel that I might hinder her learning by interrupting, but at the same time I can't let me kids get out of control. My ST will be with us until the very end of March, and that's too long to just let their behavior go down hill... :(

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

Then she needs to take control, and NOW.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

She needs some guidance, do her a favor and help her out. You don't want her to go out in the real world and have problems and possibly job insecurity because she can't discipline.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 27, 2010

I agree that you need to leave your ST to figure it out for herself. Is she observing you while you are teaching at the end of the day? If so, she should see how much you have control of the class and how you deal with behavior problems. Do you have weekly progress meetings with her? Maybe you could set something up to just talk about how she feels things are going.

I wouldn't step in-she needs to learn. This is her chance to figure out how to control a classroom, and I don't think you should take that opportunity from her. At the same time, when I was a ST in a 3rd grade classroom a few years ago, there were a few major behavior problems going on. Students were being outright rude and disrespectful to me at times, and the classroom teacher stepped in and let those students know that their behavior was unacceptable. I felt relieved and grateful when she did that.

Basically, I think you need to sit and talk with her. Maybe make it seem like a collaboration-What should WE do about these kids?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

Do you have the same kids in math and science??

Could you address the issue during that time??

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 27, 2010

Does she have a university seminar that she meets with weekly? When I ST'd there were eight of us who would meet weekly with our advisor to discuss things that were going on. If she has this type of problem, odds are her cohorts do as well and maybe her Uni Advisor could address it with the group without pointing fingers.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Ask her what help or support she wants.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

I have daily meetings with her where we reflect on her teaching for the day, and when she can ask me questions as well. We have discussed these issues, and she is VERY open to improving, and everytime I suggest she try something she does. At the end of her teaching yesterday, I did inform the class that I was very disappointed in their behavior, that it was unacceptable (and at that point moved them out of their groups, gave them a check for the day and said if they get 5 checks for the week they lose free time-I have NEVER had to this before), and I had them put their heads down to think about their choices. After that, we had a class discussion about different choices they plan on making next time. At that point, I gave out stickers and complimented hard workers who were on task. So, that was why this was even more upsetting today that their misbehavior continued even after yesterday's discussion. Oh, another thing, my sub "rearranged" their seating today, which I am fine with normally (as long as she moves things back, which she didn't), except she moved the girls with girls and boys with boys! I had them seated with certain persons for a reason! Putting them with their own "group" could only make things worse, so that could be part of what was going on today, but, like I say, this has been an issue all week....

12. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

when I was student teaching I was with a substitute nearly the entire time (my teacher had to take sick leave and I was with a new supervisor who didn't have the connections to switch me on no notice).
    The substitute I was with had previously been a tenured teacher in special education, so I think its safe to say she knew how to handle a class. The two of us were there from October-mid December. The regular teacher came back around December 15. I noticed an immediate change in student behavior once she returned - students even stood up straighter when they were in line.

13. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

Tami,
    I know you want to be invisible, but I hope you are also helping as well. My first student teaching placement was hell - the teacher refused to help me, would not offer any advice (though she was quick to criticize me for not doing things she never mentioned I should do when she filled out the evaluations for my professor). In addition, she would also put away my lesson materials when I began teaching and would then complain to my supervisor that I never had my materials out and ready to go.
    After about 4 weeks, I had other teachers in the building come to me on their own and offer to look over my lesson plans. I spoke to another student teacher who told me that her co-op could tell mine wasn't giving me any help at all.
    I was so stressed out I didn't have the energy to fight the issue when I tried to explain the problem to my supervisor who assumed I was just going through normal student teaching problems and having a tough time. She kept cutting me off, saying "its not that bad" etc. But then the university had to put another student teacher with this co-op the day after my placement ended and she had all the same problems - the co-op refusing to offer advice or assistance, openly laughing at her mistakes, and interfering with the lesson materials. At the end of the semester, the dean told us they would never again place STs with her. I didn't learn a single thing from her because she never helped me at all.
    Obviously, I don't expect that you are laughing at your ST or hiding the materials she has out every time she turns her back on them, but I do hope you are at least offering advice, and do something to assist her if the students are talking over her (such as making sure she disciplines them)

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

It's almost like if the teacher is not their regular classroom teacher, they think they don't have to listen. I had one girl who just ignored my ST. She did not acknowlede her or her instructions, but walked out and ingnored her! Well, when I found out about this, I wrote her a discipline report and sent it home. During conferences last week, the mom said her dauhter's explanation was "[she] didn't know she was a teacher and didn't know she had to listen to her." ?????????? Really?????????

15. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

Did the mom find that an acceptable explanation? I can kind of see how a kid might end up thinking that after being taught about stranger danger. - I remember how confused those programs made me. I was never supposed to talk to strangers, but I was supposed to talk to the teacher on the first day of school who was, for all intents and purposes, a stranger to me, I internalized that as meaning I should throw away the whole "never talk to strangers" message, but I can see other kids interpreting it as "Don't talk to strange teachers."

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

Toak,

I am very much trying to help my ST. I set aside a meeting time with her everyday where we discuss her teaching for that day, and I give her advice. As her CT, it's my duty to do these things. I take her questions and give as much advice as I can. We work really great together, and I want her to succeed. I just feel that during the time she is teaching, I am not letting her fine tune her craft by interrupting and overstepping her authority as a teacher at that time. If something very traumatic were to occur during her teaching time, of course I would, but I always discuss with her those areas that she needs to improve, and she's really great about utilizing my advice and making the necessary changes. She also has my email and telephone numbers and we speak (electronically, lol) over the weekend when she has questions. I look over her plans, but for this week she had submitted them to the coordinator (our school requires) and had only one day done, so I was unable to look at it until this morning. And I have also spoken with my ST about the discipline, even asking her to put together what she thinks her plan in her class will have. And, she is doing an awesome job, but the whole class management and discipline is where she is needing to improve most, but slowly she is making improvements and I am quite proud of her. I think it's just going to take time, of course....

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

Thankfully the mom did not find that to be acceptable. She explained to her daughter that anyone in the room needs to be acknowleged when spoken to. But I must add, the said student knew that our ST is a teacher. Before Xmas break I told my class we would have another teacher teaching with me in the room. I never have told them she is a ST because I don't want them to think she is not a teacher and doesn't have to be listened to. And then after break when she joined our class, I introduced her as Ms. X our new teacher to help in the room, so the kids knew...

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2010

So, today ST was absent again and I was with the kids all day. Their behavior: beautiful. Let's see if they can continue this. I think ST returns tomorrow...

19. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Jan 30, 2010

I am surprised to hear their P.E. was cancelled. Isn't that teacher certified? I would imagine that he/she could just make the class boring for them instead of cancelling class. Where did your kids go when they didn't have P.E?

I am a big proponent of special area teachers taking responsibility for discipline and classroom control when they have the students. They are certified teachers.

How are they behaving for you?

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2010

Kids have been behaving well for me. I was there with them on Thursday, and then I had work-related business to tend to, so they had a different sub on Friday morning, and were great, and then I was with them the rest of the day and they behaved beautifully.

I am not sure of the details in their PE being cancelled. I think my coordinator, from what I understand, cancelled it. The sub had asked my coordinator for help, and I think PE was taken away from them because of their behavior.

21. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 30, 2010

Sorry about the difficult time...

Just use the discussion about how the day went on Friday to let your ST know your concerns. In my opinion, even if your ST is teaching, you could still help model proper classroom management. And, the longer you wait, the crazier it'll be for you to take back over. Ultimately, you are going to be held responsible for the children and their learning....so work on it now.

Try to focus on the positives. How about keeping track when the kids make good choices and reward that. Use students who are doing a great job as an example. Teach exactly what you want the students to do in all situations....classwork, direct instruction, centers, bathrooms, halls, specials, EVERYTHING. It's worth taking time away from academics for a few minutes and this time will be MORE than made up when the kids get under control.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Oh, and give that above grade level kid a bunch of challenge work/projects/activities and keep him super involved. He won't have as much time to argue with others!