Areas still needed to be filled in NYC

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissPapa, Aug 13, 2014.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 13, 2014

Apparently, the areas that are still being needed to be filled in NYC are the following…

* The arts (including art, gym, music, dance, etc.)
    * Math
    * Science
    * ESL
    * Bilingual
    * Early Childhood

I find it strange that everyone always says "special education is always needed" and it's not there. Yet, subjects like art and gym, where people are saying that you don't get any security there, are needed. Pretty strange…and they had the need of special ed and ESL throughout the entire summer last year. I understand the strong need for early childhood, though.

So for those who are still looking in NYC, if you have any of these certifications, try to apply to schools for those positions! If not, still apply!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

I'm surprised to see early childhood on the list!

4. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

People probably don't think of the arts. I know I don't because schools especially elementary tend to have just one teacher and that teacher stays for a long time.

Math and science are always hard to come by. Most with a math/science degree background go for money and accounting, medical and not teaching or teaching at a higher level - research, university, etc.

I'm surprised early childhood is there. I thought early to elementary were the jobs people duke it out for

5. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 13, 2014

The NYC Department of Education along with the mayor is implementing Universal Pre-K which is why there is such a need for early childhood. I'm in NYC and I don't see nearly that many open positions.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 13, 2014

The thing is most positions are never posted. Most schools either look at their subs or receive mail and email resumes. In the better districts Ps talk to each other and recommend their subs to other Ps if their school doesn't have an openings but another does.

Jobs that are posted are for schools that don't have résumés on hand for a particular position.

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 13, 2014

I'm taking an early childhood class so I can get my license (I'm actually finishing up in a week!) I've mentioned that in interviews and principals are always impressed to hear that. Who knows if I came across a school who is looking into having pre-k classes for the first time.

And Bunnie, I totally agree. The times I used the NYCDOE job search was not useful…I spent a ton of money on stamps to directly mail my resumes out to the principals. Maybe that's why these jobs are advertised in that way. And yea, usually the schools that are "looking" and have their ads out on the job search are in not-so-great districts or in related charter schools.