Areas of Focus

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Securis, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 11, 2009

I like doing 3-dimensional works and I like to bring that to my classroom. It's not often that I can due to the amount of space and preparation that 3-dimensional work requires.

I like doing a paper-pulp mask with my students but haven't been able to gear myself up to do it given the amount of time it takes to move a class that I see once a week along.

I've some training as a painter and teach some of that around trying to introduce critical thinking into the lessons I teach.

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 11, 2009

I'm a mixed media kind of person. Rarely do I do a project that is just all one media. And it breaks up a lesson a bit for my kiddos I think.

I wish I did more printmaking. Last year in my first year I didn't do any. I was thrown into the situation and never really had a chance to get caught back up, it was more survival. And for whatever reason I have a hard time coming up with good ideas to print with, that can easily be transferred..but isn't all the same thing.

My undergrad program in a way was very idealistic in what teaching should be like, lol. I really try my best to incorporate artworks into my lessons with some kind of discussion. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to go with my 4th graders to our local museum how awesome they were with talking about the art. I was all smiles that afternoon and proud :) Reminded me why I went into teaching after a rough year and a half.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

I agree, my undergrad program was taught to us in a VERY idealistic manner. Reality is Much much different than anything they taught me at school.

I love painting and drawing, hence many focuses of my lessons are centered around the two. I have some means to do 3-d work but not a lot, and I find that it is quite difficult to store and work on the 3d projects with the dynamics of my school. There are at times too many behavioral factors that get in the way of a successful lesson.