Area rugs/ carpet

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jwilliamson, Jul 11, 2007.

1. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I will be starting as a second grade teacher in the fall. So far, I have received LOTS of helpful info from all you on this website. Thanks!!

I want to set up a corner of my room with an area rug or carpet remnant (or something like that). I found a rug that is fairly cheap and very large. However, it is a very boring beige color. I also found a more expensive, not so big rug with lots of bright colors. Obviously, I want to the more colorful one, but at this point, I can't spend that much.

Where do you guys get nice colorful rugs for your rooms? Is there a website that sells them for cheaper? Any help from those of you who have BTDT, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Just about every summer during back-to-school/back-to-college time, Home Depot marks area rugs down to $20. You can get them in all sorts of colors. I bought a navy one (6'x9') last year and my friend got a bright blue one (same size).

4. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I just called our local Home Depot to see when that sale would be, and the guy I talked too was clueless about it. He said they do back to school sales in August but he didn't know anything about rugs being marked down. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out.

Thanks anyway!

5. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I was very lucky last year and had a wonderful parent buy me a beautiful rug with the solar system on it for my room. It was pricey though, so I would never have been able to buy it on my own! I know Big Lots had cheap rugs at the beginning of last year here in VA, but I don't know if you have those where you are in PA. (I'm originally from PA and we did have Big Lots there). You might want to check there for rugs as well as cheap pillows, which my kids loved to curl up with while reading on the rug! They ranged in price from $5-$8. Hope that helps!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

I got mine (maybe 4' x 6' or a little larger) for $15 in Big Lots. I don't have the space for a larger one. Their large floor pillows were $10. I got another small rug at Walgreens - the kind with roads printed on. It was $8.

7. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks, I will look into that.

One more question. I will have 18 students in the fall. What size rug should I look for? I want one that is big enough for them all to sit on. Would 6 by 9 be big enough?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

The real question is, how much floor space will you have?

9. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Well, I have enough floor space for it to go in the back of the room behind their desks (and sort of to the side). It will have to be rectangle shaped.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

I'm not the best one to judge for that number of kids. I rarely have above 10.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 11, 2007

The plastic covered chair pillows at the Dollar Store are cheap, easy to clean, easy to store, don't have to worry about head lice and they make great reading pillows.

12. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I just found a very colorful, fun rug at Wal-Mart for about $25. They also had larger ones for around $30. I love them!

13. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I was able to get most of my 4th graders (I had 22 total) on the 6'x9' rug. 18 second graders will probably fit just fine depending on how you want to seat them. Some teachers have students sit one row in front of another while other teachers prefer to seat the class around the rug, which offers more eye contact and lends itself to whole-group discussions. If you want to be sure you have enough room then consider an 8'x12' rug or some size in between the two.

14. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I am not sure why it did not occur to me to look at Walmart :eek:

DUH!!

Thanks, I just found a great one for $12

15. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks, LuvTching, for help with the size. The one I found for $12 is 3 by 5, so I will probably just get two and put them side by side. And it won't break my bank!!

I am still new to this :eek:
    I was looking on teacher websites and finding great carpets for LOTS of money.

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

Don't forget to ask friends and family if they have anything you can use. Last year, I got a rug and a rocking chair from a friend when I mentioned I was looking for them for my classroom.

17. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I like using the colorful "mats" that fit together like a puzzle. They are a little softer than a rug I think. I got one at Sams for 20. I think there were 12 or 16 squares to it and I put it together.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

My friend, Big Lots. :) I am getting a pretty flat (you know... not too carpet-y) one to go underneath my desk this year. My desk will be on the tile, and I don't want anyone to think I am denting it, even with the milk gallon toppers under the legs.

19. leelondon

leelondon New Member

Jul 12, 2007

^^^^^

That's very considerate of you!!

I'm personally a big fan of bean bags in the class room, very comfy and can be used for a multitude of things.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

I am thinking about getting a couple of the colorful ones in the college/housewares section of walmart. I think they are either 3x5 or 4x6, and they are 19.99 (I think).

Last year I got a 5x8 rug that was Target Salvage from Goodwill for only 14.99. It was shag & shed everywhere though. I was glad to throw that one away at the end of the year!!!!!

21. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I saw these too and was thinking about getting them. I thought they would be easier to keep clean (spray and wipe down), but I was worried they might be a tripping hazard? Do you have any kids trip on them?

22. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 12, 2007

not any moreso than a rug

23. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

I bought a rug for my room last year and when my principal found out, he wanted the receipt so that he could have me reimbursed for it. I didn't think I would get any money for it, I assumed that I had to just pat for it, so make sure you check with your principal; he just might pay for it!

24. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Walmart and Target have all of their "dorm" stuff out right now. I just got a 5' x 8' rug at walmart for $19.99. Nothing fancy, but it will get the job done. They had black, pink, blue, red, beige, green...and maybe more.

Target's were 4' x 6' for $24.99 but they were thicker and more plush...they may have had larger sizes, but I didn't even look.

Last year my friend got lucky and got a CUTE 8' x 10' classroom rug off of Ebay for about $60!

Good luck!

25. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Many of you have mentioned the foam puzzle shaped mats that you found to use as rugs. What stores and where in the store do you find these? I have looked all over the place and I cannot find these! I really want one to use for a rug for my kindergarteners and one to use to help define line spots for them.
    I have looked in Target, Wal-Mart, Costco...maybe I have just looked in the wrong sections of the stores.
    Help!
    Thanks!

26. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

Sams has them in the office supply section. HTH you :)

27. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I just got the foam puzzle mats today from Target. I got a whole pack that makes a 5x8 area for 24.99. I was excited to find them for so cheap!

28. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I got mine at sams for $20, not to burst your bubble MissaG :)

29. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 12, 2007

That's alright...:) I let my Sam's card expire because I can never go in there without spending 80 dollars! So, the extra 5 is alright since I would have bought a bunch of other things too!

30. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Thank you! I will definitely be taking a trip to Sam's! :) I sure hope I'm able to find them in my Sam's!
    Thanks again for the help!

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

I got mine on clearance at Wal Mart last August. They were really cheap.

32. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

I love my puzzle pieces mat! So easy to clean! I powerwash mine at the end of the year with my chairs! Plus, you can always add on to your mat if need be! I have an extra set if my class is larger than the year before I just add the extra tiles. I got mine at Sam's...great investment!:)