Are your kids sick?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrgrinch09, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

Anyone else dealing with sick kids at school?

My kids are getting sick left and right. Of the 14 kids in my classroom, 12 of them have missed at least one day of school this week due to sickness.

We've had fevers, vomiting, diarrhea, strep throat, ear infections and a confirmed case of roseola. All this week. Today I only had 5 kids show up for school, and I had to send one of them home because he got sick before we even made it to lunch time.

I guess next week all of the teachers will take a turn getting sick.

:dizzy:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 26, 2009

My classroom has been like a TB asylum. We've been passing upper respiratory germs around like mad. I've been sick since early January. I just got a second kind of antibiotic and I sure hope it does the trick. One teacher's daughter had influenza B.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 26, 2009

My classroom is actually fairly germ free this year. (I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing- when I see the other teachers walking down the hallway with their very smaaaaall classes, I'll admit I'm jealous!) We had a horrible 24 hour stomach virus that went around for a LONG time that virtually every child and adult in school got at some point. Other than that, my students have had a few colds, a fever or flu here and there, but I usually have 95-100% of my kids in school every day. I truly believe it is because I have been opening the window religiously this year. The past few years I have not done that because I cannot stand to be cold, but this year I resolved to force myself into it. 2 inches or so of fresh air is the only difference between my classroom this year and my classroom in the past, and my attendance records seem to speak for themselves in comparison.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 26, 2009

Yep. Mine keep a hacking cough and they don't cover their coughs or even sneezes. Knock on wood, I've not had any pukers or any with the runs for a little while now. Give it time.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 26, 2009

We are usually pretty germ free. We crack windows, go outside (not always to play, sometimes just for a walk) even when it is in the teens. We also wash with soap and water more than 6 times a day-mostly more than 10 times.

We have drippy noses but it rarely goes further.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 26, 2009

I just got sick! I don't understand why kids come to school sick!

8. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Feb 26, 2009

Our school has been hit pretty hard the last couple of weeks! Yesterday, out of my class of 11 kids, I only had 3 at school! It was crazy!

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

My hubby had it last week...My daughter has missed all of school this week...and I got it today! Stupid stomach virus!!!! :( I just finished my sub plans for tomorrow and am hoping I'll be better soon! :)

10. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

Yes...and my poor 8 y/o DD was just diagnosed with mono last week and has been battling a high fever, headache, and sore throat for the last couple of days. I am worried sick about her. My DH sprained his ankle playing basketball and is wearing a cast and hobbling around (you can imagine how helpful he's been!) I REALLY need the summer to arrive NOW!!!

11. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

Well we found out we didn't have a case of roseola after all, but my kids are just sickly.

I realize now that it's probably because we've been trapped inside all winter long. As soon as it gets a little bit warmer, we'll be outside constantly.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 27, 2009

We have to walk to another campus to drop off some of our children. I am always thankful (but shivering) for the need to bundle them up and walk a bit for the air it gets into them. We don't play outside much, but that walk may help their immune system.

13. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 27, 2009

My classroom is just full of green snot noses. BLEH!

14. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 27, 2009

It really doesn't matter how much you hassle them, they never cover their dang mouths!

We have some kind of stomach thing going around. I had one throw-up before she even got to breakfast this morning, and she had a note pinned to her saying that she had told her mom she didn't feel good so she gave her tubs. The poor thing was burning up and soaked with sweat...if they're sick, leave them home!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2009

Strep has been going through my room...We had it before our Feb break- off for ten days, would have thought that would have given time for the germ to run its course- and now it's back this week...I'm all about antibacterial cleaners and frequent hand washing. :eek:

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 27, 2009

Ew, strep takes for ever to leave when it gets in my program. I fill all of the tubs and sinks with bleach water and everything goes in. One year I joked about throwing the remaining liquid on the walls. Spring is almost here. Hang on. and keep washing.

17. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

We spray hands with a disinfectant (specially made for hands) several times a day. I have a special spot for blowing noses and disposing of used tissues and I have an amazing air purifier in my room (it costs $200 a month to hire). I don't think any of these things will help when winter arrives, but as of now, week 5 of the year, I've had two kids out of 26 who've had a day off. I love Summer! Of course, the down side has been 7 days in a row over 44 degrees Celsius (that's about 111 Fahrenheit). We've had to keep the kids in and the air conditioning on. Oh boy.

18. pabef

pabef Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

Yes! We have lots out with various things. We are a small church preschool and I actually had all of my teachers and my cook out in one day! Talk about stress. They had pneumonia, stomach bug, and bronchitis.

19. pabef

pabef Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

Someone told me that a lampberger (sp?) will help get rid of germs.

20. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 28, 2009

What would that be?

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 28, 2009

Because a lot of parents don't want to have to put up with them... just give them meds and send them on. The fun is when the meds wear off.

22. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 28, 2009

many parents will medicate the kids and send them to school to hopefully get a half day of work in. I know it's not right . It sucks for the kid and for the rest of us who get the sick germs, but I can understand that parents need the money and they can't afford to lsoe their job for taking time off---that being said, y room has done pretty good this year--we've had some colds and a stomach bug and one case of bronchitis. I too often open my window a bit and we go outside for 1/2 to 1 hour every day that is warmer than 19 degrees. the biggest thing I ddi different this year is stop usig hand sanitizer. Havent' sued it since summer-- actually our new state regs don't accept the use of hand sanitizer except on field trips weher no water is available. Studies are showing that using it actually lowers the bodies ability to fight anything off---we clean everyday with bleach and water and I removed alot of toys for the winter and keep rotating them so there isn't so much to have to keep cleaning.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2009

My kids have been very healthy, but I am a clean freak,(Lysol dabbed full strength on a cloth and wipe down door knobs, light switches,) make up a solution and wash all tables and toys with it, OFTEN. I open a window or two for a bit each day no matter how cold it is outside.

24. kb8ywp

kb8ywp Rookie

Mar 1, 2009

Wow. Both my classrooms have been fairly healthy this year (knock on wood). Two years ago my classroom instituted a policy of having parents help their children wash hands as soon as they walked in the room before they touched anything. It was such a success all the classrooms do it now. We still get bugs going around but they don't seem to wipe out entire classes like they used to.

We also can't use hand sanitizer unless there isn't soap and water available this year. I think it's been a good thing. We also go outside as much as possible. If a parent tells me their kid shouldn't go outside because of a cold or whatever, I tell them to take their child home. I can't keep the rest of class indoors, surrounded by germs, just because one parent thinks that keeping a kid inside is healthy. My own mom believed cold air was good for health even when you're under the weather. Don't know how true that is!

We're pretty strict with the stick kid thing. We tell the parents that if their kid isn't feeling well enough to have fun then they should stay home. We call them as soon as we realize someone is a miserable germ factory. As a parent I totally get the desire for some time without a sick kid, but I also fear the ire of other parents who might see me drop off an obviously sick child.

Our school nurse (actually a parent who's a nurse who volunteers her time and talents, thank goodness) recommended that we spray our rooms with the remaining bleach solution each day after the kids go home. Once the solution has evaporated there's no dangerious chemical residue, apparently. Just after all the cleanup is done you'll see us all dancing around our rooms randomly spraying bleach solution. It's quite a sight!

25. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

We can't use hand sanitizer unless we are completely away from water either. And we can't use anything to sanitize other than bleach. It is a soap and bubbles in the hand washing dept here. We are healthy so far though.

26. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

OH, I never thought of that. Does it help the air-or just waste not want not. I usually just dump that part while secretly wishing that I could work out exactly how much to make so that it would magically get used all up.

27. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Mar 1, 2009

So far, we've had a healthy year with few absences. We do lots of hand washing, including having everyone wash first (adults too) as soon as they walk in the door in the morning. They also wash before breakfast, after any nose wiping (or picking :eek:hmy:), after bathroom, etc.

We also use plenty of bleach water to clean and alternate/wash toys a lot. We spray the door knobs, shelves, etc. after school with Lysol everyday.

We are also pretty strict about keeping sick kids at home.

28. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

My kids have been pretty sick but it's getting better. We had a few bouts of strep throat, which included a trip to the ER for me, right before Christmas but now it's just colds. I wish parents would keep their kids home but they don't. My center has a sick policy but it's very lenient. I can only send a kid home if their fever is over 101 or if they've thrown up more than once. I call parents if I feel their child is sick but they aren't obligated to come pick them up so most usually do not. It's sad, I know how cranky I am when I'm sick, I just want to be home and as comfortable as I can be.

I'm going to be opening the windows from now on - I had never heard of that. How long do you leave them open? My assistant is always cold so she will not like this, lol, but if it will help with the sickness I'm all for it.

29. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 1, 2009

I am always cold too, and I really do not mind this at all so she might be fine with it!

I open one window, about 2 inches, for the entire day. It gets opened as soon as the kids come in in the morning and gets closed right before I walk out the door at night. I open the one that is furthest away from the heater, that way the heat does not come up and go right out the window. Even with the window being open, my room is pleasantly warm.

Of course there ARE days when the wind blows in the wrong direction and the children are all freezing during morning circle! Those days, I just push it down a little bit further to about an inch open, and wait it out. After a while I open it back up to 2 inches and it's usually fine.

It really works wonders and it's worth a shot. Good luck!

30. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

can your assistant put on a sweater?

31. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 2, 2009

I wuld say try to keep it open for at least 15 minutes--- you want time to give the air a good exchange. If nothing else nap time might be a good time to open it since all the kids will be sleeping and covered up

32. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

Today I opened the window for about 10 minutes right at the start of nap time and was planning on leaving it open for awhile but it is very windy and cold today, I was freezing! Tomorrow I'll try for longer.

Oh, and my assistant was not to keen on the idea but she's all for the kids being healthy so she said she'd deal.

33. kb8ywp

kb8ywp Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

Nope, it doesn't sanitize the air, just the stuff it lands on. Our spray bottles, at least, don't make small enough particles for it to stay airborne more than a few seconds.

34. kb8ywp

kb8ywp Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

The kids at my preschool might be healthy, but my own children are in a scary place right now. My daughter was out today with a fever (the school secretary asked how high and seemed to imply that it needed to be really high before I could keep her home, whatever!) and when my son came home he said 11 out of 27 kids in his class were sick. Let's hope it stays in the elementary schools and goes no further!

35. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

Sorry! Just checked this post. A lamberger is an oil fragrance lamp.

36. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 2, 2009

Hmm, never heard of that fighting germs? Not saying it doesn't. I would dance on a fairy ring if it would make flu season pass me by. what is it supposed to do?

37. msj

msj Companion

Mar 4, 2009

My classes have been hit hard this week...I had 7 out of 11 on Tuesday and only 5 out of 10 today.

38. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2009

If the schools could and would enforce the "Don't bring children who have had a fever or thrown up within the previous 24 hours" thing, maybe they'd stay home and get well!

39. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Well, the little germ factories finally got me sick too. I missed the last 2 days with some kind of sickness. It seems that the worst has passed for us. I had 13 of my 14 kids at school today.

40. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

we had over half the class missing today!!

41. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

I ruley believe many parents can't afford to take time off from work, either because they need that money to just survive or because if they take too many days ff they wil lose their job. so they medicate the kid and send them to school int he hope that they can get at least a half day of work in. It is still against policy and still aggravates me, but I can sympathize with them in some ways is all. I was always fortunate when my children were small that I had people who could and would stay at my home with my children if they had an extended illness so I didn't have to worry about missing too many days. I stayed home for the worst things, but not many parents these days have that luxury.