Are your kids making gifts for their parents?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Dec 18, 2013.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Dec 18, 2013

Are you having your class make anything to give as a present for their parents? I did last year but it gets expensive! I'm out of time too so I'm thinking of just skipping this year.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 18, 2013

Yes, but it was free. I cut out card stock circles and stuck their (free) Lifetouch sticker picture in the middle. They then made it a wreath using tissue paper, which is supplied by the school. I punched a hole and put a pipe cleaner (also free at school) through it to make a hanger. I really didn't want to spend money on it. I spend money on my gifts to the students.

4. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 18, 2013

Yep! Today we made sand candles and most of them can't wait to show mom and dad.

It was fun and I made three lol.

I'm pretty sure the custodian hates us :blush:

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 18, 2013

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 18, 2013

We make welcome rugs with footprint Rudolph on them. A local carpet store donates the carpet samples. I buy paint and we do it in one morning.
    http://www.dltk-holidays.com/xmas/mrudolf.html
    Kinda like these.

I also make swirl ornaments. I have several that have split parents so we make at least two gifts.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2013

We made ornaments. I bought clear glass ones on sale. The kids put fake snow in it, then suspended a mini candy cane inside it. They wrote their names in gold sharpie.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 19, 2013

I've always done the carpet welcome mats, but I called a carpet store, never heard back and didn't follow through. Doh!

This year I did etched drinking glasses for the dads. The kids requested specific pictures, which I cut out on my Silhouette Cameo in vinyl. Then today I showed them how to use transfer paper, put them on the glasses, apply the etching cream and wait. After 2 hours we rinsed them off and they looked fantastic! I washed them thoroughly in the staff room after school and they'll package them in gift bags tomorrow.

For the moms, we did sugar scrubs. I had three different types of sugar: granulated, brown and raw. The kids had a cup and could make their own combination. Then I brought around the vanilla and olive oil, and they told me how much to pour in. They mixed it together, put it in a mason jar, made a label for the top, wrote the directions on a gift card and tied a ribbon around the neck. Ta-da! Done. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2013

Wow. I think I will have my grandkids make that stenciled glass for their parents--next year.

I usually have something for my grandkids to make at Thanksgiving for Christmas. This year Thanksgiving was so hectic that we only had time for ER visits, shooting BB guns, making pies, eating, watching the civil war football game, and eating some more.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 19, 2013

Kids made foam ornament wreaths I purchased from OrientalTradimg last year from their after Christmas sale. My class just visited a horse museum. I took pictures of them in a one horse open sleigh, printed out at school, mounted on card stock and put a magnet on the back. Each made a card, too. Cost for all was very minimal for 15 and they loved doing it.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2013

I like that some of you bought your stuff last year after Christmas to save money. I am going to plan on stencil glasses next year.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 19, 2013

I've never seen a project like those etched glasses. I want to try them on my own! Very cool. I'll bet your kids loved it.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2013

We had no time. I can only sneak in something fun the last day and my kids were at an assembly for a big part of the day and between lunch and my prep we just had enough time to read a holiday story, give out their gifts and eat the snacks that we had.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 23, 2013

They made book lover gift sets. They drew a picture for the set. I scanned them and printed them on bookmarks and a sheet of avery labels as bookplates. Then they made a blank book with the original picture. They came out really nice.

15. Ctls_Rajesh

Ctls_Rajesh Rookie

Dec 24, 2013

Kids made Santa cartoon before Christmas day, it is very nice.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2013

I love the rugs!