are you sad on the last day of school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kimrandy1, Jun 5, 2009.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

I teach PreK and I cry like a baby every year. Our last day was yesterday and I'm still dealing with some residual sadness. I just get really attached to my stduents, and I hate to say goodbye.

Kim

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

Some years yes, and some years no. This year has been an amazing one. I had the best groups of kids, and I wish I could loop with (most) of them to 8th grade. I will probably cry next Tuesday when we are together for the last time as classes.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

I was more sad the day before the last day.

Yesterday was such a whirlwind (in classroom at 8, party from 10 until 11:30 outside (we had five fun stations set up outside with everything from hula hoop contests to water balloon toss), and pizza at 11:30. Then, dismissal at noon.

So it probably won't hit me until next Monday.

I will miss them, but I also feel the same sort of relief I experienced when my son finally moved away from home :)

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

I'm sending my last two periods of seniors off today. I read them Oh, the Places You'll Go and weep copiously. But, it's the last morning I have to get up at 5 for a while! Woo!

6. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

I wasn't sad but maybe that was due to the fact that I'm leaving for Hawaii on Sunday. I was excited about that as well as ending a long year with the kids.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

Mrs.K - I do the SAME thing! Read the book, cry like a baby. Only difference is I no longer have to get up at 4:45am! :)

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

I get sad just before the last day and the day after it. It always seems like the actual last day is a whirl wind. I looped with my class last year. They are the best class I've ever had in 14.5 years of teaching and I'm changing schools. I broke down when I locked my portable door for the last time. I'm blissfully excited about changing schools, but I will miss most things about my old one.

I've got to get that book (Oh The Places You'll Go). I say that every year and haven't done it yet.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 5, 2009

Sad? Hahahaha...... I count the minutes until dismissal on the last day. Oh sure, I love some of them and will be sad not to teach them, but it's a small school and I will probably end up teaching some of them again anyway.

10. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 5, 2009

Hell no! Upsadaisy, I'm with you on that one! (Only we're a large school, but I'll end up teaching them again because they're lifers....LOL)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 5, 2009

haha.

12. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 5, 2009

I can honestly say that EXCEPT for this year's class, yes, I am always sad to have them move on. However, this year's class was a very unique and I hope, one in a million type class! Not that I don't care about them because I do, but it was a rollar coaster of a ride, and I am so glad to be off of it! :)

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

I've only done student teaching so far, and I have cried on my last day every year. I can only imagine how emotional I will be after a year with my own class.

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

I'm always exhausted, sad, relieved, the whole gamut. One year, the last day of school--we were to let out at 3:00--I talked to my husband (now ex) on the phone around 2:00 and he told me he was leaving me. I had to get off the phone and act all normal (normal for me, anyway!) and hug all the kids goodbye. He didn't leave then, but 12 years later when he did leave, he told me at 1:30 AM, the first day of school. So I guess anything is better than those two years!

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

HECK NO! lol. I love my kids, but I am so burnt out by now that I just can't wait for it to be over. Even this year, when I know I am moving - still not really sad. Although at graduation last night I did get a little emotional.

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

I always have a good cry after I get home on the last day, but never in front of the kids.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

No, I usually cry on the first day of school.

18. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 5, 2009

It was a little sad when my last class left after finals. I was sad because this is my first year as a teacher with my own classes, but started from when I was student teaching , at the end of the year, I take a picture of the entire class for each period and so I have a reminder of them and I keep it in the same scrapbook where I put all the thank you letters and little notes that I get from my students.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

I'll be sad at this year's grade 8 graduation. I've worked with some of these kids off and on for 5 years so I've literally seen them grow up. I am more than ready for the end (3 more weeks!), but will miss some of the kids greatly.

20. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 5, 2009

Not really. This year was great and went way too fast. I am moving up so I will have 6 students again. I always see them around school.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2009

I'm in a pretty good mood on the last day of school. It's the next day when I realize I've just given up to the seventh grade teachers a great number of students who I love deeply. That's sad.

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

I remember fighting back tears as I said goodbye to some of my grade fives last year when I was a resource teacher... I really liked the fives last year (I never thought I'd like fifth graders that much).

This year will likely be worse. This year has resulted in much closer relationships with students as a behavioural interventionist. I've seen kids come a LONG way in their classroom behaviours. I'm so proud of them, and yet I know that next year, these kids will have no additional support now that the program has been cut. At the same time, I'm ready for summer vacation, and I'm counting the days... it's a weird thing.

23. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

I know I'll shed some tears at the culmination this year.:( So sad to see them go.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2009

No.

My first year I, along with my other kinder kids, sobbed. Second, year a few cried, I felt sad. My third year, I sobbed because I was forced to resign and I had a great group of kids. This year, I felt nothing. I mean, I'll miss the little buggers, but not once did I feel like crying.

25. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

Today was my last day. This was the first year that I've gotten teary. I could have held it together, but half my class were crying too! Two of them even asked to speak to the class. They made little speeches about how much fun they had and how they'll miss their classmates. Keep in mind that these are 1st graders!

I had a very special group this year and I'll always remember these ones.

26. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 5, 2009

I worked as a substitute teacher in a kindergarten class for a few weeks and I cried my last day. I'm not sure how I'd be if I had my own class for an entire year.

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 5, 2009

No - not at all. I'm ready and they are ready to move on to Middle School.

28. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

Even though this was one of the best classes I've ever had, I was just ready for the year to be over. I feel alittle sad, but agree with Shouldbeasleep- I save my tears for the first day!

29. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 6, 2009

I guess because I know I'll see them next year, I don't get too sad. You have to walk down the 2nd grade hall (I teach 2nd) to get to the 3rd grade hall -- so I definetely see them every day next year.

I had a really fabulous class this year, so maybe I will be a little sad. It is hard to see the room all "torn down" but since I'm teaching summer school, mine won't be totally bare like most.

On the last day of school, all the teachers gather at the front of the school and wave goodbye to the kids on the buses as they leave. Then, as soon as they are out of sight, we all do the "celebration dance." It is a tradition.

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2009

There are definitely kids I'll miss. When that last bell rings I do get a little melancholy. I'll see them in the 5th grade hall next year, so it's not good-bye at least.

31. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I am always happy and sad. Sad that time flies by so quickly and happy that I know this is how life should be. But I do get teary eyed and it takes me a few days to adjust.

32. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2009

Nope! It's funny when I was in college I cried after a few placements and cried like a baby after student teaching. But in my four years I have never cried on the last day. Our last day is Monday and I will be stanky legging, Harlem shaking, and Cupid shuffling my way out the door and on to our staff party. I love my kids and this is the best year I've had yet, but i'm ready to move on, and so are they.

33. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2009

I will miss some of mine because I looped with about 3/4 of my class. I don't get teary over them though. I look forward to my summers off to regroup and relax!

34. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I teach elementary, and I definitely get teary about my graduating 5th graders. I am a special ed teacher, so I have usually had them for a few years, and I always worry about "my babies" going off to middle school.

I am missing graduation because I am at a conference this year. I am going to have to have a separate to-do in my room with my 5th graders.

L.

35. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

Yes - I cry at least 2-3 times that last week. Then I mope at home all sad for about 2 weeks until my family says ENOUGH! They tell me I will get new kids next year, but I remind them that they won't be THESE kids - the kids I spend more waking hours with than my own at home...the kids I have watched grow and mature...the kids I have laughed with, pushed along, seen some real milestones in their educational journey...see what I mean? Then, I move past it and remember that this is the cycle...and by the end of the summer I want to get back the first two weeks when I was mopey! Luckily I live in a small community so I can go see a ballgame for my students or run into them at the store. This year I am moving up to 3rd grade so I know I will see them next year, so it hasn't been so bad. Enjoy every day of the summer! :blush:

36. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

I will be more sad this year than in the past, as this year I was back in the 3rd grade, and there is something just so darn cute about them. Will I miss them all? NO! Definitely not. But there are those who just grow on you as the year goes by.

37. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I am very sad. I have strong relationships with my students that it is hard to let go.

38. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

This was year 20 for me and I loved those kids so much. I think it's been the best in my career, and yes, I've had problems, but those kids were mine for one whole year and I loved them very much!

39. MissTeacher44

MissTeacher44 New Member

Jun 10, 2009

Sad on the last day of school

This week has been so chaotic that it hasn't really occured to me that the last day of school is coming up.
    It suddenly hit me tonight. My fiance and I were at the grocery store when we ran into one of my third graders and her family.
    Now it's finally beginning to hit me that I am losing this class that I've loved working with. Yes, I'm sad.