Are you retaining anyone this year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 5, 2013

I am retaining one. He was flagged for retention in 1st grade but his mom fought it. Halfway through the year she shows up unannounced at my lunch asking to have him moved back to 1st grade :dizzy: This student has made no growth all year on his AIMSWeb R-CBM and still needs to make tally marks to add. He cannot subtract with regrouping at all, nor does he have a solid foundation with place value. He's simply lost :( He is reading on a level 9/10 (barely...benchmark is 23/24.) He is going to be tested for SpEd early next year.

I feel confident retention will help this child, but it's always hard just the same! He's very immature and has missed 21 or 22 days of school (and has had similar attendance in K and 1st.)

From what I hear, he wants to be retained because he hates school. It's too hard for him. Poor guy.

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 5, 2013

I'm retaining a kiddo.

Kindergarten boy, summer birthday---just very immature and not Kindergarten ready. Parents had wanted him to do another year of preschool to start with---not sure why or how it didn't work out, but they were very open to having him do another year of Kindergarten.

I think he's going to do great next year. :thumb:

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

I tried. My P agreed with me, but parents refused. Child is very immature and very behind. I truly believe that his parents will regret their decision one day.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

Do we have the same kid?

Very immature. 25+ absences in K and 1. I'm not sure why he hasn't been retained yet!

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

I didn't retain anyone this year, but last year I had two students move back to first grade after a week in my class. One of them has since been placed in special ed and the other was in my class this year and is doing great! I also retained one child at the end of the year last year- it turned out to be a great decision! He ended up being a top math student and the best cursive writer in the class. I sure am going to miss him, though!!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 5, 2013

I have 2 definite retentions, 2 "maybe" retentions, and 1 "I wish I could retain her." Sounds awful, I know.

Of my 2 retentions, one has "flatlined" in reading all year long. Her progress in math was little better. She has no grasp of phonics at all, although she does know her alphabet, and can decode a few cvc words. She can (as of May) finally write her 14-letter name!

The other retention is a little different - he needed medication - desperately needed it. He finally got it in March, and if he had progressed as well beginning in November that he did from mid-March on, he might have passed. It was an amazing difference, but he just had too much ground to make up.

My 2 "maybes" are both for attendance (a girl & a boy). The girl came to me FOUR WEEKS before the end of school, as a disciplinary transfer (she hit a teacher). Before coming to my class, she had over 30 days of suspension, including the 16 days she was out before coming to our school! She only had 5-6 absences, but her number of suspended days was appalling! She is very low in reading and in math as well, but I honestly don't know if she will officially pass or not.

My boy "maybe" had over 30 absences and more than 40 check-outs/check-ins, and ZERO excuses! The only excuses I ever got from mom were "Well, he was with my (brother, mom, etc.)," or "His little brother (in kindergarten) didn't want to put his shoes on." I wanted to remind her that the word parent is a verb! This child could have been a straight A student. He is exceptionally smart. However, his homework NEVER got looked at (much less done), nor did home communications get read. He had an F in Social Studies for the 3rd nine-weeks because he didn't do (much less turn in) a Black History project that is a major portion of the grade that quarter! (This despite multiple letters home offering help, three (yes, 3) posters (that I purchased) sent home for him to complete the project with, and 5-6 phone calls!)

My "I wish I had" student is just weird. There is something (that I've never encountered) wrong with her. I have nominated her for SPED, and of course, that is taking forever. I have spoken with her dad (mom doesn't bother to answer the phone) almost weekly. Her behavior AND her progress are awful. Unfortunately, I was too nice the first 9-weeks, and she had just enough quality points to slide through to 2nd, although she is DEFINITELY NOT ready! I have already apologized to the 2nd grade teachers. One of my "definites" made more progress than this child!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

I'm not retaining anyone this year, but I have 3 that need to be tested. 1 definitely is, 1 is likely to be tested, and 1 has to fail next year before we will attempt the talk with the parents b/c they feel it's my fault and my co-teacher's fault. :dizzy:

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 5, 2013

I am retaining one child this year. He really needed to be left back because he has made little social and academic progress. He's a young first grader who I really feel should have had another year of daycare before they allowed him to start first grade. I read an article that said retention has not been shown to help students in the long run, but I have a hard time believing that. I've been fortunate enough to have a few of the students I've retained be in my class again and it has brought tears to my eyes to see the progress.

One boy was reading a level 3 DRA at the end of first grade last school year. He repeated and this year he is exiting on a level 20 DRA which I feel gives him a running start when he begins 2nd grade

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2013

I didn't retain anyone for the past two years. The last year I taught fourth grade, over eighty percent of my homeroom had been retained before. I had a transient population so most of the kids had not been retained by teachers at my school.

11. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jun 5, 2013

I've got two who could use it.
    But in my state, unless a parent initiates it, it takes an act of God to retain a student.
    I've never even heard of it happening in my state for years its so difficult..

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

Nope. Never have. Doesn't happen often in my district.

13. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I was going to say, are we in the same state? Because I'm definitely not in the same state as everyone here. Kids hardly EVER get retained around here.

In fact, my parents had to fight the school district to get my sister to repeat the second grade. The district wanted to push her through, my parents were against it. In the end, she repeated second grade, graduated high school on the honor roll and is now at UMass Amherst. Her teacher told my parents that she agreed with their decision, but only after it was all said and done, of course. Hard to be in that position :)

I've read articles in grad school saying that it does more harm than good, but I really find that difficult to believe in all cases. K-2nd children are required to do so much more than they were a couple of generations ago, and sometimes a kid is just not developmentally ready.

We have one that we'd like to retain, but it's not going to happen. He has severe attentional issues, but beyond that, he's just behind in everything and very immature. He's a second grader, but seems more like a Kindergartener/Pre Schooler (socially, academically, emotionally, etc). He came into second reading at a B level, and now he's reading at an E. He has made progress there, but he struggles all day long. He only started writing his first and last name this month; previously he didn't know how to spell his last name. He frequently leaves letters off his first name when he writes it. It takes him 30 minutes sometimes to copy down his homework. Sweetest kid in the world, but sometimes, I seriously feel like I'm interacting with a 5 year old. I really think he'll struggle tremendously in 3rd grade, but I hope not.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 5, 2013

No, but one has required summer school in order to be advanced to the next grade (school policy based on his grades).

15. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

5!!! I am retaining 5!

With large class sizes, there are more and more kids who are falling behind academically and socially because their needs are not being met in the kinder/first grades.

Our RSP teacher does an intervention program in Language Arts most of the year but we do not have summer school or after-school programs to help boost them along.:unsure:

I will keep 4 of them and one is going to another teacher.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 5, 2013

I am retaining one for sure and one possibly, depending on whether she qualifies for special ed (I think she will, but who knows?) We still have over 3 weeks left of school so there is still time to decide about her.

The one who is definitely being retained is very young (November birthday - up until recently, our Kinder cut off has been December 1st!) and immature. She really does try, bless her heart, but she is just so far behind that she can't catch up. She really hasn't moved beyond short vowel words, and has only recently mastered most of the kindergarten sight words. (She does know a smattering of first grade sight words.) I feel very good about her level as she enters first again - she will NOT be the lowest and she will have a good running start to hopefully finish the grade successfully this year. I also think it will be easier for her to make and keep friends with the upcoming first graders because they will be closer to her maturity level.

The other seems to have more underlying issues, so that's why she is being tested. I'm hoping she will qualify and get the help she deserves.

Both girls will be placed with me (a common practice at my school) if they are retained.

I am so glad you posted this. It really gives me hope! I'd been feeling guilty after reading a little bit about the negatives, especially since I truly believe retention is the right choice for my one student. I hope to have an experience like this next year!

I knew you were in California when I read your post before even looking at your location. I'm guessing you're in one of the many many many districts with 30+ kids in kinder and first grade classes with no aide for any portion of the day? Both districts I student taught in were like that. I am in a charter and have 19 kids in my class (my max is 21) and I cannot believe the difference. :( It's just heartbreaking, and I'm wondering how long we'll have to wait for the state to actually realize that class size DOES matter. Or be able to afford smaller classes...