Are you required to turn in lesson plans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistTchr, Sep 15, 2013.

1. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 15, 2013

This has never been a consistent practice in my district; however, I heard that our superintendent wants to make it a district requirement that every teacher turns them in to their evaluators each week. If you need to submit them, how detailed are they? What type of feedback do you receive?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

My very first year, I had to turn in lesson plans for about a month. No matter how detailed they were, they were never detailed enough for my evaluator. After my first year (at my second school), I've never had any administrator ever ask to see a single lesson plan from me.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

We turn them in twice a tear ona rotating basis, 2 teachers each week to the p/ap. we have to have: objective, procedure, evaluation. They usually say great job, have you considered xyz to make your schedule flow or make math plans more rigorous by xyz.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

We turn in once every 3 weeks. Grades 3 and 4 are turned in online...not sure why the other grades are not...maybe because we are testing grades. I don't get too detailed, I don't put state objectives but some teachers do.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

Absolutely, from the first day to the last. Plans must contain the specific objectives, detailed account of the procedures, homework, and common core standards.

The district I was at previously was extremely particular with how they wanted our lesson plans. I had to put in objective, anticipatory set, essential question, procedures, wrap up, materials, multiple intelligences, technology used, differentiation methods, and standards - for each and every lesson. It was basically what I did sun up to sunrise all weekend.

ETA - With regards to my old district, I left out one component: method of assessment

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

Nope, no requirements. We don't have a specified format, either. My P trusts us, I suppose. My plans are detailed enough for me but probably not a sub. I type mine into a template every week.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 15, 2013

I have to turn them in each week.

They have to include standard, learning intention, agenda, technology used, literacy strategy used, assessment, and I think that is all.

There are 2 other people who teach the same thing as I do so we take turns writing them and turn them in as a group.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

We didn't have to turn in lesson plans until the end of school and they didn't have to be detailed at all.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

Yes. We have to have it in our lesson plan folder on Google Drive by Monday at the latest.

11. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 15, 2013

My district says that we need to hand in lesson plans, but I've never been asked for them.

However, our plans must be very detailed. We need to include learning targets (objectives), assessment strategies, procedures, instructional methods used, Marzano strategies, materials, CCSS, skills, and essential vocabulary. There are a few teachers in our building who are just doing basic plans, but I'm including all of these components in my plans. Yes, it can be a huge pain in the butt, but I'd rather just cover my butt than have my admin ask for plans and I have nothing.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

not submit them, but have printed copies ready for viewing at any moment.

Ours can be really simple. Date, objectives (number only is sufficient) and a general idea of what is going to happen.

a typical one:

Monday, Sept. 16
    obj. 4.1

bellwork - submit labs, finish vocab
    PPT through slide 18, biodiversity
    graphic organizer
    peer review on papers
    review game with vocabulary
    Hwk: study for tomorrow's quiz

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2013

Yes, we must email our weekly LPs to our IL by Sunday evening. The template is very detailed - the completed form is usually 5 to 7 pages. It includes: Common Core Standards, Date, Unit, Topic, Materials, Unit Assessments, Unit Projects, Major Themes, Major Events/People/Places, Objective, Unit's Essential Questions, each lesson's Higher Order Thinking questions, Warm up, "I Do/Teacher", "We Do/Teacher-Student", "You Do/Student Practice", Interventions, IEP/504 Accommodations, Homework, and Evaluation. I cried the first time I saw it and continue to cry every time I write a lesson plan.

Feedback is rare. Overall, its a waste of time and paper (we must print them out and keep them in a binder in our rooms).

This is the only school I've worked at in my district where LPs were mandatory. This is not a district wide thing.

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 15, 2013

Teams have to turn in unit plans and we are required to have a daily lesson plan displayed in the room every day for observers. Neither have to be in a specific format, but the daily plan has a list of required items.

Starting this year, we are also supposedly supposed to upload lesson plans daily to a certain online program, but there's been a LOT of resistance (because it's double the work and unclear whether the other high schools can see our plans/work) and we haven't been trained on the program yet. So we'll see when/if that gets up and running.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

Never. We do need to have plans done 3 days in advance and have these available.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

We have to e-mail lesson plans each week. There is a template we use that includes stating the standard and many other items. I live with it, but I have never liked it. I find requiring teachers to do lesson plans more than 3 days in advance is a waste of time. Handing in by Monday morning what they do on Friday is a waste. What I end up doing Friday is rarely what I write down on my plans. It is nearly impossible to know where the students will be in math or some other subjects 4 days in advance.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

Goodness! Just curious, for how many preps? As an elementary resource teacher, I had 7 different subjects per day, 35 a week. My plans were equally long (one time I made it up to 10 pages) and I also had to keep them in my room in a binder, ready and available for inspection. I think I cried now and then myself. ;)

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2013

For the past two years, my school required that we post our LPs online onto a page in our school's folder on our district's Blackboard website by Sunday evening. People were always complaining so this year we have to email them to our IL (department head) by Sunday evening.

This seems to be worse because ILs check their email daily so they know if you have sent the LP on time whereas they never seemed to check the Blackboard website on a regular basis.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2013

Goodness is right!:lol: I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me so I'll leave it at that ...

I teach two classes each semester. No one in high school teaches more than three preps per semester.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

Yes, must have objectives and common core on each lesson. Due by 8:00 a.m. each morning in principal's mailbox. If not, by 9:00 you have an email asking for them. Make it a pattern and it goes on your evaluation.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

Thank God, we don't have to bother with lesson plans. Our P trusts us that we are prepared to teach what we need to. She does walk throughs often, checking for objectives and that the lesson matches them, and I guess you can tell from a 5 minute visit if there was a lesson plan, or you're just winging it with worksheets.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

We have to post detailed plans each week to the school server. Mine are about 25 pages each week, but much of that is just adding new items to a template I created, so it doesn't take as long as it would seem.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

We turn them in every Friday for the next week. We include the standard, procedures, assessment, and homework. Mine are about a page and a half for each class.

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

Eek... 25 pages. Even with a template... wow! My personal lesson plans end up being about 7 pages typed each week, and that's more detailed than most teachers at my school.

25. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

Yes. We have to e-mail them to the principal by the Thursday of the previous week.

26. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

At my last school, our plans were very detailed and averaged 40 pages a week, size 10 font. I don't miss those plans!

At my current school, we are not required to turn plans in, but my P comes around to our rooms to check them randomly, so they have to be done. He prefers to see them notated as well if you are making changes as the week goes along (simple things like, move abc to Tues if you didn't get to it on Monday). I really like that he views plans as documents in progress as your instruction changes based on student needs.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

We are required to post fairly detailed plans on a district-wide web-based program. We must include specific standards, warm-ups, closures, descriptions of various activities, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it takes very little time to crank out a week's worth of plans.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

My old school- never
    The school I will LTS in- no as well
    The school I am quitting this week- yes. We turn them in weekly. They have to be extremely detailed. We get detailed feedback on them.

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

No, and I am so thankful!! I have a lesson plan book and I jot down notes in each square for the week. I also do our I Can statements. That already takes hours of thinking and creating resources and preparing!

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2013

Well. It's better than the last few years. We previously had to turn them in one week ahead of time. Each plan had to be a minute-by-minute account, including standards, objectives, essential questions, materials and resources, technology used, and ESE/504/ESOL accommodations.

This year, they're collected twice each quarter, and don't have to be a play-by-play... but now I have to include all questions I ask in class, differentiation for low/high students, and types of assessments used in each class. Plus everything noted above.

Writing lesson plans stresses me out more than anything else in my job.

31. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

I've never had to turn in plans except for when I'm being evaluated. In that case, I make sure they're pretty detailed but not excessively so. Generally for myself I just list the time/date/subject, objective, some bullet points about the lesson sequence, and an assessment. An entire day is usually on one page.

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

We turn them in once a month. Mine aren't that detailed- objective, procedure, assessment, materials, and hw.

33. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

I love my job, overall. But if I had to turn in plans like some of you are describing I would resign tomorrow. I'm really not kidding. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

Teachers in my area (I can say this because I'm friends with several administrators from nearby districts) don't turn in lesson plans...ever.

As an assistant principal, I wouldn't have time to look at plans from 30+ teachers. On an average day, I get at least 40-50 emails from teachers, my principal, and other district officials.

Teachers follow pacing guides (for example: Theme 1 Week 3 Day 2); therefore, it'd be completely ridiculous for them to type all that stuff out for me.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

New teachers have to turn in lesson plans to their department chair.

I've never had to turn in mine. Though I teach with my door open... anyone who was curious about what was going on in my class need only stroll down the freshman hallway.

36. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 15, 2013

All teachers turn in lesson plans weekly, through a district-wide lesson plan format. The format is very concise, and I can fit a week on one page with very narrow margins. So, I do one page a week for science, reading, and writing.

37. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

I have to turn them in every two weeks. They are only like 5-6 bullet points per day per prep.

The only feedback I got last year was a notification from the online program stating "Administrator ___________ has reviewed your lessons". We have a new supervisor though so we'll see if she gives more feedback.

38. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 15, 2013

We don't turn them in but admin can ask to see them any time

39. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Sep 15, 2013

We have to turn ours in and our principal actually checks over them and reads them! I don't know how she has time for that with like 60 teachers in our building probably.

Also, it sucks for me. I'm one of the sped teachers, so I actually have to write 3 plans. One each for language arts, writing, and math. All the regulars only have one prep. Thankfully she lets us format them how we please, so I do mine in a weekly view with the standard and some bullet points for each day. I'd go nuts if she wanted us to do those extensive multi-page ones per day, times three. We have to email her by midnight on Friday with next weeks. I know she actually checks because my coworker who I co-teach with just sent me hers and there was a reply below to my P where my P had emailed and said "please turn in your plans." Whoops. :/

40. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 15, 2013

At my school we are not required to submit lesson plans. My school last year did make us submit them Monday mornings though.

I am pretty much going day to day at this new school.... so luckily they do not collect them lol.

41. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 15, 2013

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I am sure I will receive more information about this request this week. I rarely write full lesson plans. I always filled out my plan book, but that only included objectives, activities, assessments (very briefly). That's the case with most teachers in my school, too.