Are you ready?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

For us, time is just about out.

I still have to make the brownies for chocolate trifle, and the meatballs for tonight.I want to strip my bed (mom is sleeping over tonight) and have the kids vaccum the stairs/ do the bathrooms/ tidy up. They also need to clean out the van.

But then we have to deliver the candy to the fire station, police station and the rectory. My husband will hit 7-11. He always leaves $20 to buy coffee for the first 10 people who want some.

We exchange gifts with each other this afternoon. (We've always done that. That way the kids' lower budget gits aren't dwarfed by the larger Santa gifts.) They're going to love the gifts they've chosen for each other-- now that they're getting older, there was a lot of thought put into this year's gifts. From us, the kids will get rolling duffles (they really need them before this summer's Disney trip), the mandatory pair of PJs, and a single share of Disney Stock. Everything else comes from Santa.

Then it's off to 4 pm mass-- which means we need to be in the school gym by 3:30. (We don't even try for the 4 pm in the church. We would get there on time. But then we would end up giving up our seats to some elderly man or woman and standing anyway. It's simply easier to give in and go to the gym. )

From there it's home to pick up the meatballs and trifle and the first round of gifts, and off to my sister's. It's immediate family-- and there are 34 of us on my side, aside from the 4 or 5 on my brother in law's side. It's hectic and crazy and my favorite night of the year.

Then it's home and to bed, so Santa can arrive. The kids will sleep in tomorrow, at least until my 10 year old can't stand it another minute and gets them up at about 8. It's presents, cinnamon buns and coffee/ tea, and a quiet morning.

Merry Christmas to all!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2013

I've planned a day of baking today- simple cookies, nothing fancy. We will go to the early family service even though my kids are grown. We just prefer it. After church, we will continue our tradition of mini foods- a tradition started when we got home from church one year and nothing was open ( I had promised pizza). Tomorrow we go north (90minutes) to my mother's house. Then when we get home, we get a visit from my in laws.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 24, 2013

I did all my baking and wrapping last night. Today I have to spruce up the house for tomorrow's company. Can't wait to finally relax on the 26th!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2013

Today I will spend most of my day with my annual Christmas vacation goal of watching the Harry Potter series. My daughter works at Disney...at the Buzz Lightyear ride (my personal all time favorite!) and she will have to stay a little late because of the crowds. When she manages to get home, we will head off to Grandma's where the family gathers every Christmas Eve.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 24, 2013

We head out in a couple of hours to do Christmas at three different places, in three different towns (in two different states.) We will not be home until the 30th,so I've been busy cleaning, getting things ready for the house sitter, cooking, packing, wrapping, and figuring out how it will all fit in the car, and figuring out what needs to go on the plane...

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

Brownies are in the oven, meatballs in the crockpot.

Has anyone seen my Trifle bowl??? We haven't used it in at least a year, and EVERYTHING got moved around during last summer's kitchen reno.

I'll give myself an hour or so to find it, since the brownies have to bake and cool before we can do anything. If it doesn't turn up by then, it's on to plan B: a regular large glass bowl. Not a big deal, but my sister gave it to us a few years ago, and I would love to use it.

I bet Mrs. C. "borrowed" it and forgot to return it. :p

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 24, 2013

I would like to borrow that bowl for New Years if Mrs. C ever returns it! I have never made a trifle but always thought they looked good and easy to make.

9. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Dec 24, 2013

Still need to help clean and cook, oh and pack for 10 days in Vermont! Which of course means I have to pack 20 outfits :lol: and have a last minute trip to cvs , hope they are open!

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2013

Still have cookies to make. Waiting on one last present to arrive. It shipped on time, but two-day shipping has turned into 7 days. Grr.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

I have a few trifle bowls, Alice--but I doubt that you'll have time to drop by and pick it up!

I've been out to the grocery store and am back in for the day. Have a bunch of light cleaning to do today, along with wrapping, and I'm hoping to get some of the veggies for tomorrow started. It will be a quiet day and night here--my husband had to work and the kids will be sleeping for a few hours yet. It will just be the four of us until mid-afternoon tomorrow when my sister and brother-in-law arrive, followed by my mom and, hopefully, my mother-in-law late in the afternoon.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

Ours is soooo easy:

http://www.food.com/recipe/jello-and-cool-whip-easy-chocolate-trifle-49017

Not sure whether the picture will come out, but if anyone is unfamiliar with trifle, mine looks like this:https://www.google.com/search?q=cho...hocolate-trifle-with-raspberries%2F;1063;1600

And that's a trifle bowl: a clear glass bowl on a pedastal, so you can see all the layers.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2013

That trifle looks yummy... I make a fruit one in the summer.
    We start Christmas week due to bdays being around the holidays as well!!!
    Wrapping needs to be done!!!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 24, 2013

Since we have no family around our Christmas is simple. My son really wants Christmas cut-out cookies so I'll make some today. I want to touch up my roots and start cooking for tomorrow. I want to at least get the eggs boiled. Maybe make a macaroni salad. I think we're going to the early service tonight.

We need to run to the grocery store. I thought I had a ham in the freezer, I went to pull it out to defrost and it was a pork loin! Grrr. . . Plus my daughter wants a pumpkin pie.

We do Christmas afternoon/evening as my daughter works as a waitress and they are open tomorrow.

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Dec 24, 2013

Will work on making a sweet potatoe casserole and pumpkin flan when dh gets back from Wal-mart. We'll be going to my sisters house tonite to spend Christmas Eve. I still have to wrap presents. Our Christmas tend to be quite and simple so I'm working on getting myself out of bed!

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 24, 2013

I need to make pinwheels and cranberry sauce, everything is ready to go to MIL for tonight and tomorrow morning I'll pop the ham in the oven when the cinnamon rolls are done!

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 24, 2013

I'm almost ready. I have to wrap some presents over at my parents house for my wife, but other than that, good to go.

There are a lot of people in the area with no power right now, due to the ice storm, and I've offered a few teacher friends that I could help Santa deliver presents to wherever they are staying. Hopefully their power comes back and it won't be an issue.

18. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Dec 24, 2013

MT, That is so nice of you! Hopefully everyone has a warm, safe Christmas wherever they are!

19. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 24, 2013

I'll be done as soon as Santa (aka Amazon) delivers my last two gifts so that I can wrap them.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 24, 2013

I've been sick for the last 3 days. I just mustered up enough energy to wash some dishes. Next I will try packing my suitcase so I can head off to my parents' for a couple of days.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

Feel better, MissScrimmage!

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2013

My Christmas is just the two of us. We are going to a football game tonight and will open one gift (PJs from my mom). I'll probably just lay around and read books the rest of today (I've already read 6 since break started on Friday). Tomorrow we'll open presents and have a small meal.

But this is our last Christmas alone. Next year we'll be living by family and will have the baby. It will definitely be different!

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

Feel better MissScrimmage!

24. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 25, 2013

That trifle recipe looks really good--and easy. My DH is from England, so I make trifle like they do in England. I use cake or cupcakes in the bottom. I mix jello with strawberries and soak the cakes just until they are saturated. (real trifle has some sherry in it, but I don't like sherry.) Top with custard--real English custard can be found in major grocery stores. It is called Bird's Custard and sets up great. Then I top with whipped cream. A little bit more effort, but yummy and makes my DH happy. (I have made these for events. A cupcake fits into a short plastic cup nicely.)

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2013

I've been up for 3 hours--no sign of the kids. The breakfast casserole and cinnamon buns are ready to go into the oven as soon as I hear stirrings upstairs. The carrots and green beans for dinner are blanched and in the fridge. The table is set. The dessert is made and is cooling on the counter. The stuffing is almost ready to go. The turkey is thawing in the laundry room sink. The smoked salmon is thawing in the fridge. The stockings are stuffed. All I need is some kids!

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 26, 2013

Thanks for the well wishes! I am hopped up on cold medicine and was able to enjoy a few family events. It's off to bed again so I can enjoy the rest of my break. (I hate that the first 5 days were 'wasted' by being sick!)