ARE YOU READY FOR COLLEGE FBALL?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by DizneeTeachR, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2006

I don't know how many of you are Football fans...but hubby & I love to cheer on our favorite college teams!!! Most start this Saturday!!!:D :D :D

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 28, 2006

Our son is a junior at the University of Cincinnati. He plays the trumpet in the UC Marching Band.

Parents of band members get free tickets to the home games. I think that we deserve free tickets - just for having to watch the band members enter the field. Nippert Stadium is like a soup bowl - upon entering, you walk into the top of the stadium and have to walk down the stairs into the seating. Before the game starts, the band members stand at the top of the stadium. Then there is a POP! and they all come rushing down the aisles and race onto the field to find their spots to start marching. I have seen a few tumbles and it just scares me to death!

My husband and I are already looking forward to the first UC game this Saturday! UC plays Eastern Kentucky. The BIG game with Ohio State University is on 9/16! The UC Bearcats are going to get clobbered by the Buckeyes!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2006

That'll be fun...we had frenz whose daughter played in the U of M band!!!

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 28, 2006

Football games are ALL about the band!!! :) I don't really care too much about the game! LOL
    OH - and the funnel cakes!!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 28, 2006

I agree.... but then again, I'm a HUGE band geek... marched in HS and college, and still go back to my university and march for homecoming. ;)

"The football team will be playing between tonight's featured performances by the marching band."

;)

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 28, 2006

:D :p :D :p

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 28, 2006

we don't watch football we are nascar fans, but with the colleges we like to back our favorite basket ball teams..... DH likes duke, and we like Gonzaga of Spokane!

The college football team here (UofA) really doesn't have their "stuff" together.

I was in the colorguard in H.S.--we did the half time shows too.

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2006

I'm taking my son, a high school sophmore, to his first Penn State game. I haven't been back to a game since I graduated in 1984! He's interested in attending - a family tradition - and he loves the aura of PSU. My hubby is the black sheep of the family. he graduated from U. Penn so we plan to take the family this year to soak in the Ivy experience as well. Can't afford to take the whole family for PSU!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 28, 2006

I hear you, Glenda!! Our HS band had shirts made that say "I'm here for the band." Northmont is this Saturday.

Off topic: any luck selling your house?

11. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Aug 28, 2006

I am looking forward to it but I will not be able to see many games.

I am a middle school coach so most of my weekends will be spent dissecting tape for the H.S. and my Thursday nights are shot because of games.

I am looking forward to my Aggies finally doing something worthwhile on the field. Anything less than 10-3 and we have under-performed.

12. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Aug 29, 2006

I'm so ready for some football. Too bad I'm for University of Florida and I am DEEP in OU/OSU territory. Unless the games make ESPN I probably won't be able to see many SEC games. Speaking of bands I marched for 4 years with UF.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

So is my hubby!!! He's in U of M Territory in my family!!!

14. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

What about pro football! I'm a huge Bengal fan! So glad to see Carson Palmer get back on the field last night and do FABULOUS! :D :D :D :D :D

Any fantasy football girls/boys out there?

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2006

The PRIDE of the SUNSHINE. Too bad it doesnt warrant that
    rep. As a kid I thought the gator band was excellent (frank wickes and Richard Bowles) but compared to many other SEC teams and FSU it doesnt seem to measure up. Im not flaming you. I love the band especially while it marches down UNiv Ave. on homecoming.
    Those are my best memories.
    but this is about COLLEGE FOOTBALL.
    GO GATORS.........I have my season tickets (since 1979)
    btw, its great to meet a fellow gator here, specially an ex gator
    band member.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2006

My hubby was a Gator...I'll cheer for them if they aren't playing Michigan!!!! Our lil' one is usually decked in orange & blue!!!

17. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, I agree. There were a couple shows that we had it going good. Hopefully the new director will be making us live up to our name. I wish I didn't live so far away. I haven't been to the Swamp in over a year :( It will be a real treat when my husband and I can get down there for a game. Go Gators!

18. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

19. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 30, 2006

Hey Ann K, were you originally from Pa? I hope you have a big umbrella for Sat. game... if Ernesto comes, it will be a mud Bowl! I always watch Penn State Games, although I am not a crazy fan. Some of The PSU fans here are insane. Really!

20. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

Yeah, I'm originally from near Allentown, PA. I've ended up at some games with miserable weather (although I think rain is the worst)...the hardest part is that there are many restrictions about what can come into the games (and I think umbrellas are a no-no). I'm not sure if I'm a "crazy fan" or "insane," but I do have PSU decos in my classroom and I tell my 4th graders about it all the time (it's never to early to think about college). Then again, I am willing to sit in the car for 11 hours a weekend to come see the games. I guess you can decide how crazy that is...

21. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2006

I saw in our newspaper this morning that to combat the excessive drinking, police will be patrolling the parking lots and will not allow tailgating during the game. That's not really going to work, is it?

22. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

It could be interesting to see them try...there are some real diehard fans that tailgate throughout the game. Unfortunately, when it comes to excessive drinking where there's a will, there's a way. I just hope that the rain stays away.

23. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2006

They updated that information in today's paper. The PSU police will only be enforcing a "no drinking" policy for the parking lots during the game, not a total ban on tailgating. Still, hard to enforce.

24. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 1, 2006

Woohoo!!! GO VOLS! And now that I have moved to Virginia I need to learn about the Hokies. :) Hehe

But I'll always bleed orange. ;)

25. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2006

That aint orange, it's creamsickle. ;)
    BEAT the PAC ten today/tonite.

26. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 2, 2006

AnnK, did you get to go to the Penn State game? I watched it on tv. It looked pretty wet there... I think it was raining harder there than it was here where I live. The field did not look too muddy though for all the rain we had. Gotta hand it to JoePa.. he is like the energizer bunny, he just keeps going and going and going...

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2006

GO BLUE!!!!

28. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 2, 2006

The University of Cincinnati won their game against Eastern Kentucky!
    The UC Marching Band was terrific!!

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 3, 2006

Go Huskers! Go Notre Dame! Those are my teams. I didn't get to see the Husker game because I had to work, so the radio came to work with me. I did get to see the ND vs. GT game. That was a fun game to watch. Both teams won yesterday!

30. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Yes, we made it to the PSU game. It was a little cold, very wet, and as always exciting. It rained throughout the entire game. Luckily it never really poured. JoePa just keeps going and the whole crowd loves it! The football field did look great, but you should have seen the parking fields around the stadium...I'm not sure if the grass will grow again.

31. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2006

I went to the Univ of Fla game agains the Univ of Southern Miss.
    It was 90 degrees at kickoff (and that was 6pm). UF 34-7.

32. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 6, 2006

Too hot for a football game, stephenpe! I bet the players were dying! I watched alittle of the U of miami game. My husband likes them.

33. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2006

They practice in it everyday. The sun wasnt hitting the field by then
    either.

34. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Sep 7, 2006

Yeah, and to think just two years ago I would be at those hot games in a many layered band uniform. I would give anything to see the games now. :(