Are you getting a flu shot?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Oct 17, 2009.

?

Are you getting (or have you already gotten) a flu shot this year?

1. Yes, just the regular flu shot/nasal spray

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Yes, just the swine flu shot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, both the regular flu shot and the swine flu shot

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. No

40 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

I just got a flu shot. I'd like to get the swine flu vaccine too, but that will have to wait for when they start administering them to the general public--I'm not classified as 'high-risk'.

Are you getting one?

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

I've never gotten a flu shot and never got the real flu. I already had swine flu so I'm not getting that either.

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I am only getting the flu shot because I already HAD H1N1 and have been told I am now immune.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 18, 2009

I have already had the seasonal one, and am waiting for the H1N1 to be available.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2009

I've never had a flu shot in my life & don't plan to & the same goes for the swine flu shot.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I'll get both as they are available.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

I got the seasonal flu shot several weeks ago and my doctor called me Friday to come in any afternoon this week afterschool and get the H1N1 because my asthma puts me in a high risk group.

9. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

I don't know what is the right thing to do. I hate taking those shots, and I rarely get sick; but I just don't know what I should do. So I guess I'm undecided.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 18, 2009

I got the regular flu shot because my school paid for it at a free clinic. I don't plan to get the H1N1 shot.

11. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

I'm never into shots, but I'd rather not get the flu or H1N1 so I got the seasonal flu shot and waiting on the H1N1 shot.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

ditto

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 18, 2009

I just found out there is a strong chance that I've already had H1N1 before people were getting tested for it in June. Most of my symptoms mirror that particular strain. It may come down to my not needing the second shot because I'm immune from further infection.

14. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Oct 18, 2009

My school gave shots out a month ago to the teachers who were on the insurance plan. I got one and ended up in the hospital with the flu a week later. I had 4 confirmed cases of H1N1 but I did not test positive for it. My class was hit hard, at least half were out at a time with the flu. I am in the high risk group so I probably should get the H1N1 shot but I won't. I am not comfortable with it.

15. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Oct 18, 2009

I know people who had such a bad reaction to the vaccine that it was tantamount to actually having the flu...so I don't plan on it (then again, I am not in a high risk category). Instead, I try to be very careful about washing my hands frequently/having my students wash hands after sneezing or coughing into their hands.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

You do know that it wasn't the flu shot that gave you the flu, right? You might have already been exposed to it before you got the shot, or you might have gotten a different strain not covered by the shot. I just want to make sure that you're not blaming the shot for getting the flu. ;)

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I got the regular flu shot about 2 weeks ago. Still have remnants of a bruise and 'phantom pain' in that arm...I've never had such a reaction before (the night of the shot, my arm was purple and SWOLLEN). This has been a major factor in my decision not to get the swine flu shot (and to re-consider regular flu shots in the future).

18. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

Great, I think I have the flu and will be calling out tomorrow. I hope my class is not destroyed.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 18, 2009

Oh no! Maybe you can call your class on speaker phone so they can hear how sick you sound? Maybe that will guilt them into behaving.

20. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

There is some evidence in Canada (not definitive) that getting the flu shot may increase the risk of H1N1 so Ontario has delayed the flu shot for those under 65 without high risk. There is evidence that women in the young adult category are at high risk for H1N1 and the first woman in BC with no other health issues died this past week. So as I'm unlikely to die of the flu I will not be getting the flu shot. I know H1N1 could kill me as a young healthy woman but I don't trust a new vaccine from big pharma so I probably won't get it.

21. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Oct 18, 2009

I always get the flu shot. I'm not getting the swine flu shot because a friend's doctor told him not to get it because it was too new and the risks outweighed the possible benefits.

22. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Oct 18, 2009

I know the flu shot did not give me the flu. It was spreading like crazy in my classroom. No matter how many times we washed our hands, use handsantizer, clorox, and Lysol everything it still happened. I am now waiting for round two.

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

I'm 99% positive that my husband and I had it in April. (I got sick first, then passed it on to him.) People think I'm crazy when I say it, but we had every single symptom. It took weeks for us to both completely get over it. (The first few days of it, though..... I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.) Since we didn't have health insurance at the time-- and since it was right before we both started our jobs-- we couldn't afford to see a doctor for it.

Is it true that if you did have H1N1 you won't need the vaccine because you're already immune to it? In my district, all teachers and students can get the H1N1 vaccine for free this week. My mom is pushing me to get it, but I'm too wary. Besides, doesn't it have mercury in it? If I asked for a vaccine without mercury, would it be available?

I doubt I'm getting the seasonal flu shot. I've never had a flu shot, nor have I ever had the flu (and I was around my whole family numerous times when they all had it).

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure of this because it was my doctor friend who told me. She then turned to our pregnant friend and made her promise to get the vaccination since she is in one of the high-risk categories. Considering this is the doctor who took care of me when my blood pressure crashed at a party last year, anything she says is gospel.

As for the mercury, I found this on a physician website:

Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative that has been phased out of childhood immunizations since 2001 due to concerns that the preservative MAY be linked to autism. But thimerosal (which is about half-mercury) will be found in most vials of the H1N1 vaccine. However, it may be possible to find doses that are thimerosal-free if you ask for single-dose shots. According to the CDC, "Single-dose syringes will be thimerosal-free, which will address concerns about this additive, especially regarding pediatric and pregnant vaccine recipients (inhaler sprayer vaccine products also will be thimerosal-free)."​

25. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

I have never had one before and I would just not do it even more so this year.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I've never gotten one before.

And, to be honest, I'm just so darn sick of doctors that I probably won't get one this year either. I have upcoming visits to the oncologist, the radiation oncologist, the surgeon and the plastic surgeon-- none of whom will have the shots.

So I think I'll probably pass out of sheer laziness.

27. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Oct 18, 2009

I don't know if I should get the H1N1 or not.

I had decided "absolutely NOT"

....and then, a dietitian/ Dr. friend, who generally doesn't believe in preventative shots, whole-heartedly backs getting the shot.

I told her I'd get it. ..but... :unsure:

28. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

I really HATE shots. If I get the flu shot, will it keep me from getting the flu? Is it true?

29. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

I will not get the regular flu shot. Everyone in my family who has ever gotten a flu shot gets down and out sick much more frequently than thoseb who do not get the flu shot. (knock on wood) I'm very scared of the H1N1 as I already know a great number of families directly impacted by it. But I'm too scared to get the shot. Shots scare me, and I have always gotten very weak after any kind of shot. Needles make me so nervous. (even the TB prick will exhaust me for a couple of days...I'd better hope I never become diabetic--I'm at risk)

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

I got my H1N1 on Thursday of last week. I am pregnant, and I got the last shot that my OB had. It was the one that is thimerosol free-the only one she would recommend.

Had I not been pregnant, I probably would not have gotten it. I have not gotten a regular flu yet, if my OB's office has any next time I go in, I'll get one. But only from them.

I'm on the fence for my two daughters. We have had our first confirmed case at school, and it is a kid my oldest plays with, and goes to church with. It scares me! I'm calling our pediatrician tomorrow and see what she recommends.

31. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Oct 18, 2009

I had the seasonal flu shot on Friday. I was at the doctor anyway, so I decided to walk over and get a flu shot. I am completely undecided about the H1N1 shot.

32. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2009

I have a history of bad reactions to vaccines and shots (including a coma once), but I can't risk getting the flu this year. I am living with my dad and he is very high risk. I am trying to see if I can get the nasal sprays since I am less likely to react to those.

33. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

Thanks! :)

34. MarKus

MarKus Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

I'm still waiting for the H1N1 shot to be available here in our country.

35. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 19, 2009

I got my flu shot when I went to the doctor for my sinus infection. I was sicker from that so I hop it is effective. this was about a week ago.

36. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 24, 2009

I had my seasonal flu shot on Thursday. It gave me the yuckies (best way to describe it) until today. A lot of sleep and fluids have worked out the worst of it. It's worth it in the long run.

37. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 24, 2009

I won't get the shots because I am allergic to one of the ingredients!

38. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 24, 2009

I've already been sick with flu, so there is no sense getting the shot to prevent it. Hopefully my immune system has built up from the real thing. Besides, no one around here has the vaccine anymore.

39. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2009

Had my seasonal flu shot on Thursday with no reaction other than a little soreness. I may pass on the H1N1 because DH and I are old enough to be in that group they think may have been exposed to a similar strain many years ago.