Are you focusing on anything in particular this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 19, 2013

When I was a new teacher my mentor told me to pick one thing each year and really "master" it. I have taken her advice each year.

This year my focus is on math, specifically kids talking about math. I really want to get my kids to talk about Math, explain their solutions, explore new solutions to problems and persevere in solving them without the use of algorithms*. I hope to be more of a facilitator in my classroom as opposed to a modeler.

I'm in the process of a year-long PD class/research study (funded by the National Science Foundation) and I learned so many new ideas this summer I hope will help me.

*There's a big push in my district and in CC to move away from algorithms. I still am on the fence about this, I welcome a discussion on algorithms...

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 19, 2013

I understand the need to have multiple ways of solving problems, etc., but in 5th grade CC math states students will do several math concepts by using the standard algorithm. My district has had lies of discussion about what exactly an algorithm is vs the traditional recording system. Personally, as long as they understand what they did and get the right answer, I don't care what they did.

This year I am focusing on organization. I am tired of all the little piles of stuff that build up in my room.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

I'm in a new position this year so really I just want to focus on surviving! :lol: Since this is my first year in this position, I want to focus on building good relationships with the principals and teachers I'll be working with.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

Common Core math- :rolleyes:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

I'll be back full-time in a classroom (after being in Special Ed for the past 7 years), and will be teaching all subjects to my class. I'll be focussing on incorporating inquiry-based learning as much as possible.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 19, 2013

I want to focus on adapting my teaching style to my school's new direction/philosophy. Even if I don't agree with it, I will give everything I've got to do it right.

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I want to focus on having the kids develop their own solutions and problem solving skills so they better understand the problem. I incorporated this into my lessons in the last few last years, but I want to do it more this year.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 19, 2013

Communicating more/collaborating with classroom teachers. I don't want my reading intervention to be seen as something different from classroom instruction.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 19, 2013

For me it's time management as well as inquiry-based learning.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 19, 2013

Meta-cognitive learning and taking responsibility for their goals and subsequent progress. I have a few things I've tried to introduce so far, but with everything being new, I'm also trying not to overwhelm myself or rush things with the kids. We ran out of time for portfolio overviews today, and it made me realize how much time we really need to set aside for those things.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2013

When I went back three weeks ago, I'd have told you that I had it under control. Now that I've had kids two weeks, I'm going to change that to revamping some classroom management. I'm no newbie at this. I've had 7th graders for most all of my 21 years.

I've got it together most of the time . . . or at least as together as one can be with unstable hormone-ridden 7th graders.

I have HUGE classes (35), and I'm pretty sure that they've given me 7th grade girls and 5th grade boys. They are wearing me out. I'm working too hard to keep them in check. Something's gotta give, and it's not going to be me. I just have to dig deeper into my bag of tricks and pull out strategies that convince them that I really truly mean that I am in charge every minute of every day and I'm not changing my mind. I've tried my "big classes & no space" tricks and my "immature kids" tricks. This is the first time I've needed both the same year. Fortunately I don't appear to need my "drama queens" and "thugs" tricks this year. I might, however, need my "I'm not taking my medicine" tricks.

Oh, I'm also piloting the new statewide classroom observation model. That should be interesting.

13. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 19, 2013

Well, being new to teaching and my campus, I have two goals: building relationships between both students and faculty, and developing my classroom management skills. The kids come back in a week, I can't wait to meet them! The faculty seems pretty helpful too. I'm looking forward to a good year!

14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 19, 2013

I really like to make literature relevant for my students. With that in mind, I'm photocopying the new Shirley Jackson story. It's fantastic and ties in perfectly with current events - NSA, snooping, paranoid governments.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

New Shirley Jackson? She died in 1965.:confused::rolleyes:

16. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 19, 2013

I'm really going to be honing in on writing instruction this year.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2013

Ummmm . . . I'm confused on the new Shirley Jackson, too. What's the name of this "new" piece. :confused:

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

I'm going to have to focus on several things, not only one.
    1. surviving; this is my first 'real' year as a teacher.
    2. building relationships with my students. This is huge and crucial to classroom management. I have to work at it every day, before school, during break, during lunch, during classes. Every single 'how is your day going' or 'can I talk to you for a minute?' gets me closer to my students.
    3. I'll have BTSA. Have no idea how much work that will be.
    4. organization and follow up. This actually goes with building relationships with students and classroom management, and so far I'm on track.

The teaching part seems to be the easiest, even with Common Core.

I gotta say #2 is the big deal, it can make or break this whole year.

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I'm in a new grade level, and trying to develop deep meaningful units with the new standards.

I'm trying to differentiate more - homework choice menus, work at your own pace spelling, etc. And of course reading and math groups.

Once I met my kiddos I realized writing will be my big struggle this year, and I spent my weekend working on that...

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I'm focusing on classroom management this year. I feel that I'm really good at classroom management in general ed, but it's a lot different in music. I started a new system this year and it seems to be going well so far.