Are you feeling stressed?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SCTeachInTX, Sep 21, 2011.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 21, 2011

My job comes with a lot of stressful situations.

* Reading Assessments
    * Passing on information that teachers don't want to hear
    * Mountains of paperwork
    * Helping to data collect
    * Planning interesting professional learning experiences
    * Record Keeping and Progress Monitoring
    * Implementing small group lessons and planning for those lessons
    * Keeping up with teacher accountability
    * Teacher Instructional Rounds - Focused Walk Throughs

Ummmm... the list goes on and on.... It seems like there is always SOMETHING. :whistle:

I KNOW my job was not nearly as stressful at my previous schools. And I think that the administration has no idea the kind of pressure they are putting on the teaching staff. I really would like to be part of the solution and not a whiner. But quite honestly, I don't even know where to begin.:confused::confused:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

I'm with you...every day the priority list gets longer, with less time to accomplish any of the tasks. I need to make a list, but I'm almost afraid to!

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

I get stressed out due to my veteran coworkers trying to micromanage my classroom.. =( I don't know how to tell them politely to leave me alone and let me do it on my own. I'm never going to learn from my successes/failures with someone hovering over me making sure I'm doing what THEY want me to do....

Other than that, yeah my list is getting longer every day!

5. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Sep 21, 2011

I am right there with y'all. I feel like I am always a few steps behind in EVERYTHING. But I have been working on a lot of stress relieving activities. Here are a few things I do, I hope they work for some of y'all and I am sorry if they do not fit well with you.
    Watch one episode of your favorite program with the family.
    Watch a favorite mOvie with the family.
    Keep a post it note on your computer as to why you began teaching for a constant reminder of why you are here.
    Sit down for a few minutes alone in the break room and have a piece of chocolate as you take in the sweet silence.
    Get organized. Or more organized. Make sure you have a calendar of sorts, make a to do list, label things and file them. This will create a better flow through the activities of your life and will help them run smoothly.
    Watch the sunset.
    Just some ideas.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2011

I agree on the organizing. I'm overall an organized person in life, but at school things pile up and I always feel behind! I spent Saturday afternoon reorganizing my desk area and files, and it feels wonderful. Just getting that task accomplished makes me feel so much more peaceful when I sit down in the morning and at the end of the day! I also started a "Project List" instead of continually putting those things on my To-Do list that don't HAVE to be done right away. I'm planning on tackling a couple each week.

Hugs as you work on finding some solutions for your stress.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 21, 2011

Just ONE piece of chocolate????:D
    I've been trying some stress reliefs myself-and one that I am doing which was very hard for me is to just walk away. I am polite about it, but I walk away when the negative talk starts. It seems the past few years have been FULL of it, and it was making me depressed, cynical, and bitter. I feel much better now.
    I am very organized already-but I love the post it idea!:thumb:

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 21, 2011

Ditto.

I don't think politicians and administrators realize what we do every day. If they did, we would get paid a lot more. :lol:

I feel like the big problems for myself are:
    -Higher class sizes (23 isn't crazy high, but it's still a lot of kids when your classroom has many needs)
    -Very little support
    -No time for prep and professional development

I am only one person, and I feel like they expect me to be a miracle worker, but they don't give me the tools to be successful.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 21, 2011

Well, organization is my middle name. I not only organize myself, but I help to organize the teachers I work with. I give them calendars, send reminders, and try to say POSITIVE things to them because I don't think that teachers get enough positive affirmations. And I don't think our admin. does a sufficient job of highlighting those teachers that do things well , right or above and beyond. They tend to do the blanket statements like... You guys are great. I am so proud of everyone. But singling out people is just not a strength.

But, I would like to see things turn around. I have even had a few heart to hearts with the P. And it just does not seem to sink in that we have many persons on staff doing a great job that plan to leave because the workload is so brutal. They can transfer to another campus and spend half the amount of time and energy and not work in a stressful place. It just does not seem to sink in that there is a lot of pressure to be the PERFECT campus. I just think that we have lost sight of the goal of creating happy life long learners. That is not to say that kids are not happy. It is a great school. It is just a high pressure school working environment.

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 23, 2011

In a word? Yes. My stress level this year is insane. I pretty much threatened to quit if I didn't get some help to deal with a student.

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 24, 2011

I totally feel y'all's pain. We're all adjusting to our new P. He's changing a lot of things and requiring a lot of new things. So, we've got the usual stresses on top of his. He's starting to require evening activities that are not during our contracted times, and none of use are too happy about that. It's a mess. We've been joking that we should all pitch in for a margarita machine. :p

Beth

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

Just remember...stressed spelled backwards is desserts!:D

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 24, 2011

LOL czacza!

Am I stressed? Um, YEAH! Way too much to do, way too much to learn, and all I can say is thank goodness that I have a totally awesome team, a good principal and an overall good class.

14. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 24, 2011

stressed does not even begin to describe it!!!!:eek:

I am in a new grade (3rd) and there are lots and lots of changes. My class is wonderful it is all the other stuff that is getting to me.

I had meetings with parents about progress report grades all week inbetween other meetings and advisor stuff. So I could not get all my grading and plans done so I spent all day today (no joke) grading, logging grades, writing plans and tests. I am just now giving up for the night. Probably have another 1 -4 hours to go tomorrow. I really need a vacation!!!

15. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Sep 24, 2011

Absolutely the stress is high! I'm at a school that has not met AYP for 2 years running; we're under the gun of a brand new state standardized test which no one has actually SEEN yet, but which is apparently 5X harder than the TAKS; I have 2 LARGE classes, containing an abundance of immature kids who are apathetic to learning and would rather play and fart around all day; the 3rd grade has a brand new district math curriculum that consists nearly entirely of time-consuming, difficult high level tasks; our principal makes us jump through the most inane hoops (often 2 or 3 times for the same task); AND many of my kids can barely read English.

On the bright side, I have the coldest room in the school (nice for hot Texas days); my new book, Learn Me Gooder, is doing quite well, and my wife and I just found out that she is pregnant!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2011

Yes, teaching's one of those professions that can easily consume you & there's ALWAYS going to be something to do & take home on the weekends, breaks, etc. One really has to balance one's work & personal life.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

I'll be OK once I get this National Honor Society stuff under control.

I promised myself I would get housework done Saturday, so I could do NHS Sunday. (Schoolwork is caught up, so it's a non-issue.)

What I forgot to promise myself was that I would sleep in between.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

COngratulations Mr. Teacher. What is the new math program you all are implementing? If you have struggling students, I would recommend CAFE: Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expand Vocabulary. The book is FANTASTIC. It really gets to the heart of reading problems. It also gives teachers REAL STRATEGIES to help real learners. Motivation is a big factor for kids that seem to not care. I suggest the following website to look for the reasons behind motivation the unmotivated and strategies that you can try to motivate.

http://www.interventioncentral.org/...nge-2-response-effort-do-work-seems-too-great

I highlighted one type of child, but there are interventions for several types of children on the website. Good luck!

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

Congratuations, Mister Teacher! I loved your first book, so look forward to the second.

The next few weeks are going to be tough. The new start-up with Special Ed is always a challenge. There are so many needs and not enough people to help support. My new Special Ed partner is a lovely person, but she's stressing me out because she tends to become consumed with one thing, and I'm picking up the slack on some of the rest. Hopefully, once she gets her feet wet, she'll learn to find a bit more of a balance.

20. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

I mainly feel overwhelmed because we have been in school 5 weeks and haven't had a full week yet between inservices, assemblies, testing, etc. I don't even feel like I have started content yet!
    Also, all the testing to be done stresses me-- again, only 5 weeks in and we have administered 4 different kinds of assessments/baseline testing. It is a lot to keep up with!

21. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

I agree with all of you!

Our instructional coach is really driving me crazy! He worked as a tutor for two years and then was hired by his buddy, aka the assistant superintendent. The job was never posted which is just wrong! It is frustrating that someone with two years of tutoring grades 1-6 is trying to tell me how to do my job!!! Between the four grade classroom teachers for my grade level we have over 90 years of experience. (Wow, that sounds old!)

It wouldn't be so frustrating if he would do what he says he will do. For example, we asked him for something and two weeks later we haven't gotten any response even though we have sent him emails, left notes, and reminded him in person.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 25, 2011

I can't seem to get organized this year. There's never a night that I can stay late, I've always got something going on at night! I try to get in early, but I have to drop my son & a neighbor child off at school.

I just got our new reading curriculum & am starting it tomorrow. Our math has not yet come in, so I'm doing a lot of copying.

For my grad classes, I'm doing an on-th-job practicum & my supervisor is coming to visit me Wednesday. The other class has us doing a case study. This is a co-hort program. Why did they put those 2 classes together?

To top it all off I have NO breaks on Wednesday. It's my double prep day & they scheduled an IEP during both preps. I have child study meetings with 2 of my former kids during lunch.

Yes, I am stressed.

23. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Sep 25, 2011

:( Sounds like me! Now I've been sick and out of school for two days running... RtI requirement in our school involves meeting every day - as a team, as a grade level team, with admin/guidance/data collector, as grade level subject team... On and on. Too many meetings. TMI. Some of the info is good, but I think the stress level is so high in the whole school right now...

Oh well, I look at it this way: I have a job! I love teaching - when I have the chance to. :lol:

24. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

:lol:True--on the days I actually teach I do have fun. But all the data gets me down, I lose 2 preps a week because of team meetings (and we only get 20 min lunches so I can't use that) and I just realized I am out this week and next for meetings AGAIN. So, I am guessing my real school year will start in Nov......just in time for the holidays ;)

25. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Sep 25, 2011

Two things that have helped me manage the stress as a first-year teacher.

1) Scheduling everything. EVERYTHING. I have various color-coding systems and put everything on my Google calendar. So if I have to write an email to someone, it's color-coded and goes on the calendar. I remove things as I finish them. It's really helped... I schedule my lesson planning, progress monitoring, when I'm going to get ideas for the lessons I need to create during lesson planning, etc.

2) Only allowing myself to work up until a certain point. Whether or not everything is finished, I WILL leave by 330 or 4 or whenever I decide is my cut-off time for the day. I do not bring work home and I try not to think about school-related things after I leave. Basically, I compartmentalize my life. :cool: This has helped me not go nuts with schoolwork, and there's also the added benefit that I tend to finish all that I need to do before the cut-off time, since I set that deadline in advance.

26. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2011

I love that statement!!!!! It feels like I'm required to do so much other "stuff" I can't really focus on what I'm actually there for!!!

Beth

27. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Sep 25, 2011

Thanks, Mrs. C!
    And SCTeacherinTX, thanks for the website! We don't actually have a new PROGRAM, as we adopted Texas Mathematics about 3 years ago (and hardly ever use the book). But the district has made a new curriculum for 3rd grade math. LOTS of group work, which sounds great on paper, but not so great when you realize that most of my kids aren't mature enough to actually work in a group. Half the time, one partner is doing all the work while the other does nothing, or the whole group just plays while I'm talking to another group. Very frustrating.
    Ciounoi, I like the idea of going home at 4 and not taking anything home, but how do you balance that? There is often so much time-consuming grading or documentation required that you CAN'T grade that much before 4, so if you DON'T take it home, it doesn't get done! As someone else said, planning periods tend to be taken up with meetings, so you either HAVE to do it after school or at home. Unless you get to school 2 hours before the day starts. No thank you!

28. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 25, 2011

Reading through the post it sounds like everyone is on track with handling the great big task of teaching and STRESS. I have a stash of chocolates and snacks for when I'm low on energy.

This year my biggest task was being more organized with papers. So I file them away immediately and it has been very helpful. I talk to coworkers on breaks to vent if I need to or just talk about something other than school. I also laugh a lil more with the kids and in the same breath I'm stricter and keep them busier. Helps with my expectations of how to work and what I expect from them (2 math works, 2 language works, 1 reading work, 1 writing work and 1 cultural/science/social studies work). Then they can get a free choice.

I'm laying what I hope this year is a much stronger foundation on year 2. And did I mention that I go to work some Saturdays and I have a lot of good laughs with my Principal on these days.