Are you ever afraid of...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsO, Nov 5, 2011.

1. MsO

MsO Rookie

Nov 5, 2011

Are you ever afraid of leaving something crucial out and completely messing up a child's education for life? This terrifies me.:dizzy:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2011

No. I've never been afraid of that. One, I teach the required standards. Two, I cover as much "hidden curriculum" as possible, and certainly everything required to get through the year. Finally, there is always next year for the students. :)

But seriously, I think anyone who worries about this probably isn't in danger of leaving something so critical out that students' entire educational careers would be destroyed...I think it would take a completely incompetent, uncaring idiot to do that.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

I agree with JustMe; it simply isn't a concern.

If anything, today's teachers are so bombarded with standards that I think it would be pretty hard to do.

We know exactly what we're expected to teach. A bit of planning ensures that we pace our classes in such a way that everything gets covered.

In addition, almost every topic builds. So if there is one small thing that you somehow miss, another teacher down the road will hit that same topic. He or she won't be happy with the kids' ignorance about something they should know, since it throws off HIS own planning to have to go back and teach basics that should have already been taught. But the kids will still be taught the material.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 6, 2011

Nope. I follow my province's mandated curriculum, assess regularly to check students' progress and plan with my grade level team. If I feel I am not covering something well, then I research possible teaching strategies/lesson plans and try to present the material in another way.

Like a previous poster said, any teacher concerned with covering the required material will since it is at the forefront of your mind.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2011

I used to have that fear back when we were on our own for designing curriculum. Now I feel that everything is so scripted and there is so much accountability that it isn't possible to omit anything. As long as you are following the curriculum maps and pacing guides you should be fine.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

Scripted curriculums are not usual here in Canada, but the key is knowing your provincial curriculum expectations and using those as the basis of your planning.

8. MsO

MsO Rookie

Nov 6, 2011

I do agree with what you all said. I think it's just that I'm still new, and I've only ever taught kindergarten, which is such a crucial time in students lives developmentally.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2011

I think we all get nervous a bit as we see the huge responsibility as teachers. As someone who has taught only grades 3 through 7, I can tell you that there is ALWAYS something very important that some student doesn't know coming into a grade. I just roll up my sleeves and do the best I can to get them caught up in these areas. One thing that helps is to prioritize and focus on the most important standards that you need to teach. Discuss with the 1st grade teachers what they really feel is important for the children to have coming into the grade. If you don't say anything cruel to Kindergarteners, you won't mess them up for life. Instead, think positively of all the doors you will be opening up for them.

I strongly disagree with scripted lessons helping any group of students. I think these are a crutch and take away the great connections teachers can make with students. Teachers are wonderfully creative and are strong communicators. They can do better than a boring script. Ditching the script in lessons was the best thing I ever did.

10. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011

All 6 years I homeschooled my daughter, Ms O! I think the fact that you worry about this shows you care too much to let anything get by you.

These ladies can tell you I worried just like you are. When I sent my Jeannie to middle school this year, the lowest grade on her progress report was a B. And that B was, I believe, two points from being an A. So, try hard to believe in yourself, Ms O. Your kiddos are lucky to have such a caring teacher!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 6, 2011

I sort of do. I know I teach all of the required material and more, but I always want to teach them more life lessons and hope what I do say about friends and life sticks with them.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

Every year is crucial....and each year is the only year you will have with any set of kids. Make the most of your year. Teach the curriculum, assess your kids in an ongoing manner. Have faith in yourself and in your kids.:love:

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 14, 2011

I'm more afraid of overlooking some little sign of abuse and the child winds up dead or seriously injured.

I also fear that some of the students that give me the most headache will grow up, become successful and (not understanding how hard it is as a teacher) take the attitude of "I HATED MY FIRST GRADE TEACHER. SHE WAS ALWAYS PUTTING ME IN TIME OUT, HAD NO PATIENCE WITH ME. SHE REFERRED ME FOR HAVING ADHD/EMOTIONAL DISTURBANCE INSTEAD OF REALLY WORKING WITH ME AND SEEING MY GIFTS"

My last fear is that a child will end up in prison because I did not encourage them enough in first grade and began their downward spiral.

I try to avoid thinking about it

14. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Nov 16, 2011

I definitely have these same fears, especially since I have taught the same group of students for 5 years--basically their whole elementary! The school I'm at usually had a hard time retaining a teacher, but I loved it so much I've stayed all these years.

Each year I have tried to focus on improving a different subject and doing something new, because it just doesn't seem there are enough hours in the day to do everything. For example, for my first 3 years I taught a foreign language 40 min. a week. The kids love it, but I had to cut it out since that left no time for typing. I noticed some of them struggle with vocabulary, so I shortened some other things and added extra vocabulary work. It's all about tweaking and seeing what works best, I guess.

My biggest fear right now is that some learning disability or emotional disorder will go undiagnosed, because in such a small group of kids (always less than 7) it has been easy to chalk it up to "so-and-so is quiet" or "so-and-so has this personality."

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 16, 2011

I feel pressured about certain things. For example, my sixth graders learn about world history, then not again until they are sophomores. So for every standardized test from now til then, what I teach them is what they will know. Also, our state's science tests are only given in 5th, 8th, and 11th grades. So what I teach them in science has to last 2 more years-and if I leave something out, it makes the 7th grade science teacher's job that much harder.

So yes, I feel pressured to get everything in there, but I don't worry that I'm going to completely miss teaching them about mitosis, for example.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011

As long as you are teaching what you are suppose to be and trying to get as much in as you can, you are doing just fine and the students wont suffer. Now sometimes the end of the year comes and maybe you didn't hit every standard for certain subjects, or maybe you touched on them, but not to the extent of others, it happens. No big deal.

17. MsO

MsO Rookie

Dec 8, 2011

I'm taking everyone's word for it! :) Thanks!

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 8, 2011

The fact that you're posing this question shows me that you care. I'm sure you're doing a fine job! Don't worry and keep teaching your heart out! :thumb: