Are you doing "real work" on Halloween?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 27, 2010

I know in Elementary, the day before Halloween weekend usually consists of parties, games, fun worksheets and treats. But I thought in middle school it was probably just going to be a regular day, especially since Friday is not actually Halloween day.

But I was told to expect them to be hyped up and that they really won't be expecting to work much (considering what they'll be doing in their other classes.)

So...

Are you giving them regular work on Halloween?

If not, what can I do with them? I can't give them treats, I don't have any Halloween videos and I can't really think of any fun activities. Any ideas?

BTW - I teach middle school SS.

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

Some holiday things will be done, but not too much.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2010

We have a pep rally in the afternoon but the rest of the day is a regular day.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2010

I can find curricular connections on any celebratory day. We've been the 'Pumpkin Construction Company' this week. Kids had a price sheet for the different parts (eyes, stem, mouth, etc) of making a pumpkin- they designed their pumpkins, added up a 'bill' and then created their pumpkins. In health, we've been studying the skeletal system and used diagrams of skeletons to create pasta skeleton art...the kids where having great discussions about which pasta shapes to use for the femur, phlanges, etc...great stuff, holiday related and yes, real content related work.

6. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

We will have a regular day for the most part. However, I might find a Magic School Bus video or something for the last 30 minutes of the day.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

Though I know that many teachers I work with do some form of Halloween party.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

They're working just like any other day. Last hour, I might show a movie.

If they finish their work.

9. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

This is eactly how my Friday will be. Yes, the kids will be excited, but I think if teachers expect real work to get done, for the most part, the kids will rise to the occasion. Of course if the classroom teacher is excited and hyper about the special day, the kids will pick up on it and there'll be no controling them. Have a happy Friday before Halloween everyone!

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

I try to keep expectations up, but I also get known as the nofun-noparty teacher. By students and teachers alike. Always have a few students around "party" days that ask if they can switch classes just to a have a party. Fun Times.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 27, 2010

The reason why students are hyped up and do not expect to work on holidays is because most teachers have not made them do it! I have been informed that many of my students will skip on Friday and Monday. Oh well. Their choice. But I'm giving notes on both days and it is a hard chapter. I told them I am not going to their houses and dragging them out of bed. Nor am I going to stay afterschool for extra tutoring because they decided to have a five day weekend.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2010

I'm givng Geometry tests all day on Friday. I would be doing the same if Halloween fell on Friday. It's been 2 weeks since our last test, so I'm testing.

My kids are 15, not 5.

I never give homework the night after a test. But I am giving all my kids 2 Halloween Logic Puzzles to take a look at over the weekend, just for fun.

13. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 28, 2010

Hello!

We have a party and parade scheduled at 10:00 AM with a noon dismissal.

My children were told on MONDAY that they will be expected to work from 8-9:30. We will have our weekly spelling test (which always falls on a Friday) and I have this fun "pumpkin math" activity that I have done for years with grades 2-3. After that we will "publish" the "silly stories" we've been working on about a pumpkin coming to life!

I am trying to find some sort of last minute craft for them to do... It can not be scary, etc. I have 5 children this year in my class who do not celebrate Halloween as their beliefs teach them that it is an evil holiday, so I do not want to do anything spooky with witches, goblins, etc. Maybe we'll make a spider web w/ white yarn...

Any ideas?! I'd LOVE to avoid a trip to Michaels! :)

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 28, 2010

Abolutely! We don't do the party thing. The kids are doing a little presentation for the parents in the morning and we have a 1/2 day-just simply because we one on the last Friday of every month. We'll get real work done in-between. I can't let a day go by without teaching anything!

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 28, 2010

We have a lot of students who are Muslim so most classes don't celebrate Halloween. For middle school SS you could talk about the history of Halloween.

16. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2010

My students will be taking vocabulary tests, discussing either "All Summer in a Day" by Ray Bradbury or "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry and doing tableaux of scenes that represent some facet of the conflict. Just our normal LA stuff.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

We're celebrating "National Disgusting Little Pumpkin-Shaped Candies Day" with our journal entry. Then, since I teach film, I liked it up so that our horror genre study is this week and next week, so we're finishing "Bride of Frankenstein" and maybe starting "Poltergeist." In my speech classes, we're moving on to the next figures of speech in the chapter. I can't afford to lose time in that class.

18. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

At our middle school we don't do anything special for Halloween. We have regular classes. The kids are a bit hyped, but we continue with our regular schedule.

I'll probably "throw" in something fun for Halloween, like a Halloween logic puzzle, but it definitely won't be the focus of my math class. We'll still continue with our regular plans.

I'm just glad kids are trick-or-treating on Saturday night so they've got Sunday to be super hyped. I don't like when Halloween falls during the week. The day AFTER Halloween is actually usually more hyped than Halloween if you ask me. (Thanks to kids eating candy for dinner the night before and breakfast on the day after...) :)

19. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Oct 28, 2010

I teach the history of Halloween from the pagan origins to its implications in modern society...... And then have a victory game for candy.

20. KateL

KateL Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

I had the students take notes today, so tomorrow we can do a microscope lab. They'll still be learning, but they will have the opportunity to talk as they work.

21. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2010

I teach agriculture so I tie in the holiday with stuff like growing giant vegetables. I have a video about growing giant pumpkins - you know world record sized ones - 1200-1500 pounds.
    For agricultural processing, we talk about making Halloween candy and I have a video on it.

22. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 28, 2010

Thanks. I've decided to spend the first 5 minutes doing regular work (a Do Now assignment) and then read about the history of Halloween with them (based on information I collected online). We're going to play a comprehension game and then if there's any time left over, I'll let them do a Halloween crossword puzzle.

Happy Halloween!

23. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Absolutely! As much as I would love to 'slack' off-I can't-we have too much to get done. Plus our school doesn't celebrate halloween (Private School), but we will have a small afternoon party to celebrate birthdays we've had this week.

24. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Oct 28, 2010

hehe....I'm giving a giving a quiz tomorrow. -_-;

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 28, 2010

I make my students do real work on Halloween. They always wear costumes, and we have a costume contest/assembly that day, too. They need as much normal activity as possible . . . and that means WORK.

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

Starista, what is that activity, if you don't mind sharing?

Chalk, can you share any info on your activities?

We have a parade at 8:30 that goes on and on til 9:30. Then our class is having a party for 75 minutes. Then recess, Halloween themed activities, lunch, more activities, and thankfully at 2:40 - DISMISSAL! Halloween is exhausting.

27. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 28, 2010

The quiz scheduled for Monday is being moved to Tuesday. That's about it. Tomorrow and Monday we will be working on group projects. Oh yeah, I'll be bringing in cookies for the kids which I baked.

28. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 28, 2010

At my school we do not celebrate Halloween in any fashion. Although I did tell my room mom it was ok for her to bring in some treats tomorrow.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

We'll have a regular morning--I know that the class I have for English has a math quiz. In the afternoon, grades K-5 can have a movie, class party, games afternoon, etc. Our grade 6-8 students have a dance in the gym. I'm not feeling very 'spirited' this morning, but I know that I will be having fun before the day is done.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

I am dressed seasonally though.

I'm wearing a brown and orange paisley skirt, brown T,and orange cardigan with brown heels.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

I'm in black and orange until I change into my costume (sleepy witch) later. I have a parent meeting at 8:00 to share the results of an assessment. I don't think she'll take me too seriously if I sit with her in orange p.j. pants, a black t-shirt and fuzzy slippers and a witch hat. I'll change at recess.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

LOL that would definitely be an interesting meeting!

We had some school-wide Halloween events yesterday. They were mostly built into our "specials" so we didn't waste too much instruction time. Today we are scheduled to have our life skills class so we'll make Halloween cookies. At the end of the day we will probably watch a movie and incorporate it with sensory time since we do that anyway.
    I have to add that we are a private school (non-religious) and they really seem to make a big deal out of Halloween. The adminstrators have no problem with us doing any holiday activities for the most part. So far, no parents have had a problem with it.

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

We had an "autumn celebration" on Friday the 22nd (school-wide). They don't wear costumes to school, so it isn't too crazy.

This week was a 3-day week (all public school teachers have off Thursday and Friday for state convention). We went on with normal activities and the kids were fine.

34. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

we all dress up today, even the teachers, so it's hard to avoid the hype. my students have known all week about a quiz today (that we have every Friday) but they were BEGGING me not to have it. The quarter closes Monday so I really had no other choice. They ended up doing the quiz but had a hard time controlling themselves until everyone was finished. oy!

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

Almost all of the teachers are dressed up and the students will get into their costumes at lunchtime. It's a fun day!

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2011

I work with speech kids & although the kids aren't at school this year on Halloween (due to staff development), I'll be doing Halloween-themed lessons w/ them.

I also put together treat bags containing: Fun pencil, Halloween eraser, stretchy spider, Halloween stickers, & a fruit gummy snack.

37. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 24, 2011

I plan on sharing a couple of Halloween books or activity. Besides those two things it's business as usuual. I know all the kids will be excited about trick or treating, but I want our rules and procedures to be the same as any other day.

38. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 24, 2011

I'm in elementary and we'll be doing "real work" all day until the parade/parties at 2 pm. Students and teachers don't change into costumes until right before then. I don't plan on doing anything differently in my groups. I never do except for the day before christmas. I don't have my own class to have a party with but want to do something fun with my students, so in my groups that day we decorate cookies.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2011

I'm in secondary. It's an absolutely normal day, with the exception of the candy that the kids sneak all day, and the need to remind them to take their wrappers with them.

To be honest, there are no "no real work days" in my school, ever.

40. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2011

One year, we had some guests from Japan come and tour the school on Halloween because they were interested in a special project we do. The committee chair for the project was dressed like the Blue Fairy. They were a little confused. lol.

41. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 25, 2011

I teach film studies, and we'll be watching The Birds that day. I always time my horror unit to be around Halloween. That makes it feel like we.re doing something special, but really it's business as usual. I might get some caramel corn for them or something, but nothing too out of the ordinary. My English students that day will be doing vocabulary and reading Night. Nothing unusual there either.