Are you boycotting BP?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 24, 2010.

?

Are you banning BP?

1. Yes, I am banning BP

20.0%
  2. No, I am not banning BP

26.7%
  3. I'll buy my gas anywhere, BP or otherwise

33.3%
  4. I'm already loyal to another company (Shell, Mobil, etc.)

20.0%
  1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 24, 2010

Just wondering what other people are doing, not trying to start a debate...

Edit to add...

The choices should say boycotting, not banning, but it won't let me fix it. Ooops.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

No, I am not boycotting BP. Most of the gas stations are franchises run by ordinary folk who are just trying to make a living. Boycotting them serves only to make life just as difficult for their families as the oil spill is making for the other thousands and thousands of people involved.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2010

If you're going to boycott BP gas, make sure to go to the stations selling it but only buy merchandise from their convenience stores. The people who run the stations are part of a franchise who make very little cash from the gas they sell. Buying from the convenience shops will keep the innocent owners from bankruptcy while walking past the pumps won't hurt them.

To be honest, most BP mini-marts have decent stuff and are sometimes the only outlet for fresh produce in the area. They can live without selling the gas!

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

If anyone is boycotting BP I urge you to know just what you need to do for it to be effective. BPs are franchises so in the short run you are just hurting a local businessman, not BP.

Also you will have to boycott a lot of other brands, not just BP gas stations. The only real way to know that you are effectively banning BP is to stop buying gas altogether

http://consumerist.com/2010/06/when-you-boycott-bp-gas-stations-bp-profits.html

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

I will not boycott a local business in an attempt to hurt a big corporation. I know someone who owns quite a few BP stations, and he's a really upstanding guy. I see no reason to stop doing business with him when he was not directly responsible for the oil spill.

If we knew what the other oil companies were really doing, we'd probably be shocked, too.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

I wasn't going to purchase gas from BP until I realized it would only hurt the little man...and then I realized I don't visit any BPs anyhow!

I haven't put gas in my car since school dismissed a few weeks ago. Oh, the benefits of doing nothing. :)

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

Aside from the fact some poor business man is trying to make a living at that station, I figure BP needs to money to clean up the mess they made!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

Really, I would prefer just to walk and bike everywhere and get rid of cars completely!!!

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2010

I don't buy gas too much either, but I DO buy coffee and an occasional lunch from a convenience store. The BP around the corner has a surprisingly good lunch counter so I tend to hit that when I'm in a pinch. Will definitely keep doing so!

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2010

There isn't one around me. But if I was out and about and I had a choice of two gas stations, I would probably choose the non-BP station.

I don't see how the fact that they are independently owned really makes a difference if you want to boycott them. Many companies are independently owned or franchised. If you don't like something about it, don't go. That's what comes with choosing to associate with a brand rather than choosing to open your own name and store. There are lots of perks and also some negatives.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2010

I honestly haven't bought gas since about a month before the spill, so I don't know.

But Peachyness is right. The best boycott is to boycott all of them.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

Not one near me. I buy gas at the best cost I can find. Not a fan of Citgo either because of Hugo Chavez, but I am empathetic to the 'small business owners' who own/run the gas stations and have nothing to do with the oil spill/politics.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 25, 2010

I am not particularly boycotting BP, but I am being more conscious of my gas use. I'm recycling more plastics, setting the AC higher, combining trips or walking when possible, turning out lights, etc. I already drive a hybrid car, so I use less gas anyway. I also check the air in my tires and all my fluids and things in my car to make it more fuel efficient.

15. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 25, 2010

I would only boycott BP if they did not pay for every penny of this mess. The second they dump this on the taxpayers is the day they permanently lose me as a customer.

Even as incompetent as BP is in stopping the leak, so far BP seems to be holding to their word of civil accountability.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 25, 2010

There's no BP around me anyway & even if there was, I don't go there. I go to mainly Costco, sometimes Unocal or Chevron.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 26, 2010

I have never bought from bp because they are more expensive than any of the other stations around, but I wouldn't boycott them either. The station owners don't have anything to do with the oil spill in the Gulf. It's not their fault, and boycotting would only hurt them and their families. I don't see how boycotting would do much to hurt bp corporate either. They are already losing billions of dollars; my $23 at the pump won't even be a blip on their radar.

18. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 26, 2010

:agreed: Why add more victims to an already all too tragic list? Boycotting them would possibly jeopardize damage payments, also.

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

Really Peachyness??....... You sound very dedicated.... Do you really intend to ride your bike...... or walk... EVERYWHERE you go???

That's a lot of pedaling and walking.... Most people are not up to that...:)