Are You Attending PD's This Summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 20, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I signed up for a bunch this summer. First time in a while they offered ones that I thought looked good in addition to ones we will be required to do at some point-so thought I'd knock them out now. I haven't been overly impressed so far. One I was really looking forward to was about integrating technology-can you believe they were going over how to use powerpoint?! That was a little disappointing. Still have ones to go about interactive notebooks, some GT updates and our new math, science and literacy adoptions.

There are a lot of brand-new teachers at the ones I have attended so far. They bring good energy!

Just curious what kinds of things everyone else is attending, if any.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I'm debating on a couple for next week and I've signed up for two at the beginning of the school year (during our workdays). Frankly, I'm tired of being taken advantage of by my state (NC) and have stopped doing much on "my time." My district really screwed us over this past winter and every time I remember what they did I dig in my heels a bit more.

I'm pretty good at my craft. I could be better, for sure, but I really think I get better ideas from surfing the net than I do in district-created PD.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I have two PDs on June 30 and July 1, for new programs the GT office is rolling out and that I'm hoping to pilot. There's another one in August for science.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 20, 2014

I'm going to AVID training in July, then later in the month a week of training on complex instruction.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I don't have anything until staff goes back on July 28.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 20, 2014

I'm planning on attending some online workshops through NSTA since they are free and focused on a project I'm working on this summer. My state has an awesome science teachers convention every year in October, so I'm planning on attending that this year- I'm hoping my P will get me go for both days since they do offer a lot of wonderful workshops. (I think maybe next year I might even put in a proposal to do a workshop- I figure after 7 years I could share something :) )

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2014

Technology PDs are the absolute worst followed closely by curriculum design. It seems they are at least five years behind every time I attend them.

Personally I'll be attending the AVID Summer Institute which is sometimes absolutely amazing (but lately has been very typical PD) so I'm reservedly hopeful. We also have a few days of district CC training the week before our return date which I'm expecting to be a waste of time given that I don't teach math or ELA.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

I'm attending ZERO PD this summer. I'm very happy about that. :lol:

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 20, 2014

What gets me about the technology PD's (and well some of the curriculum ones too) is that they want to sell crap to you. If I take a course on how to use chromebooks well in my classroom, I don't have the focus, time, or want to know why I should choose chromebooks over another laptop- just teach me what strategies I should be using!

I went to one workshop about classroom management and it was okay, but I totally regret that I gave the guy my school e-mail, he's such a spammer. I keep asking him to remove me from his mailings but he keeps saying that he did so he doesn't know why I keep getting them :rolleyes:

I wish that groups who host workshops would do a better job of screening what is being taught- if it's out-dated don't let them do the workshop.

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 20, 2014

Our county offers a lot of great PD's (especially about technology) but until I finish graduate school I just don't have the time/energy. I'm actually looking forward to finishing just so I can start attending PD's. I like learning new things, reinforcing things I already know and networking. Plus PD's aren't stressful b/c you don't have to write papers or pass exams.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2014

The work I'm doing this summer with this group is counted at PD. I am so excited for this opportunity to get hands-on training applying the performing arts to classroom work!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

Our teacher's federation is offering over 100 3-day workshops all over the province this summer. Most are $75 for 3 days (including resources and lunch), but a provincial grant has allowed almost half of them (with a focus on math or technology) to be offered for $30. I've registered for 2 so far and may do a third depending on timing.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

I have 4 PDs that I'm going to this summer, but they aren't until late July.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I'm doing one big one at the Exploratorium in SF that's full-time for three weeks. We're going to be doing a wide range of stuff. But otherwise I'm doing my own PD (reading and planning).

16. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 20, 2014

I attended the Ignite 14 conference this week. Next month a coworker and I will be presenting at an iPad conference our district is hosting for our teachers.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

Peregrin, you do fun stuff like this every summer! Do you find these on your own, or does your district advertise this type of opportunity?

18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I mostly find them on my own or by word of mouth. I'm always on the look out for things like this.

There are a lot of opportunities if you search for them.

http://retnetwork.com is one good website for any teachers interested in doing a research internship over the summer.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 20, 2014

I'm attending LiftOff next month. It's a week-long NASA workshop in Houston. At the end of July I'm spending a couple of days in New Orleansmat a social studies workshop on using mock trials in the classroom. I've also attended a couple of local workshops on literacy across the curriculum.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I have a 40-hour week-long literacy class/training in August. It's not for credit or anything, but my district is paying for me to go, and it's not cheap.

I'm also reading TONS of books this summer on my own.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2014

No, although my P did try to get me on the last day of school with her sad, puppy dog eyes.

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2014

Me too. Like I said, my P tried to do the last minute, last day of school, "we need to send someone to attend this PD" ambush. Thanks but no thanks.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

I have had 4 days of PD so far.
    1 day - project based learning
    3 days - literacy training

I have 3 more days in July.

I really groove on summer PD. I love to see teachers who work outside of my building to hear what they are doing.

24. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I like that too. I learn things just in conversations with people there as well as the workshop material! ;)

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

I'm not really taking any PDs per se, but I have two courses I signed up for this summer. One is on assessment and teaching in the 21st century (I think that starts in about a week!). The other one starts in the beginning of August and is called, "Learning How to Learn." The latter course is all about the brain. :) I'm very excited. In addition, I signed up for two other courses, but they don't start until October.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

:lol: I take it those sad, puppy dog eyes didn't work on you! lol

27. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I'm not attending anything except for the one day PD that is required for summer school. I must be in the minority, but I have personally never attended a PD that I thought was really valuable, so it's not something I'd go looking for on my own. I've always had to do tons of it during the school year at any school I've worked at, so I need a break in the summer!

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

Ditto. I particularly enjoy it when I'm at PD with teachers from other school boards--I learn so much from those differing experiences!

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2014

Just one, and it's not till the week before we go back. I'm kind of glad I don't have that many this summer - I'm moving grades and need that time this summer to read through everything and prepare.

30. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 21, 2014

I've been asked to attend 2 this summer, one for math and one for school leadership. I'm iffy on whether or not I want to attend them since they involve out of state travel.

31. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

My first one is a two-day workshop on standards and SLOs set for next week. Although the topic sounds dry, I am really looking forward to it because it promises to give us some concrete ideas on developing SLOs for next year. I am also considering a GIS workshop that is being offered by ArcGIS for later in the summer.

32. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

same here.

Now, some of my friends have attended workshops outside of the district that seem wonderful. I might attend something like those in a few years when I don't have children of my own to tend to.

33. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

The most useful PDs are where they give me an actual unit and show it being taught. Like last summer, I went to a training on an engineering unit. The instructor gave us all a copy of the unit, showed video clips of it being taught, and then basically walked us through the unit like we were students. That was incredibly useful to me... it was a unit I NEVER would have come up with on my own, and just getting the unit itself wouldn't have been enough for me to teach it well. I still had to adapt it and make it work for me and my classroom, but it was useful.

But PDs where they just trying to force-feed teaching strategies, where the actual focus is completely different from what they said, or where they just try to sell things? Ugh. I went to another PD last summer for a week, where the focus was supposed to be on using the outdoors more in science. It sounded great (and... they were also paying for us to be on an island in the Chesapeake for a week with free food...). Then we got there, and it was all about trying to set up a plan to make our schools environmentally friendly. Yeah... you need to talk to my principal if you want to make school-wide plans. Sorry.

34. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

I just returned from a 3 day conference in my state's capital. Over 1,000 educators gathered together to learn and share. It was really great!

Other "PD" I have planned is two summer courses going towards my second bachelor's degree, meeting frequently with my content area teammates to plan curriculum, and browsing Teaching Channel and Pinterest for inspiration :)

35. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

That's why I think things like EdCamp are gaining so much momentum. Teachers discussing what they want to learn about.

36. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2014

After five summers of going to tons of trainings I'm not going to much this summer. The past two summers I have gone to conferences and did at least two or three other multiple day trainings. I did a half day technology training that was of course nothing like I had hoped for. Then in July I was invited by the principal of the other elementary school in our district to come to the Daily 5 training that he is offering at his school. Looking forward to that.

37. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

I attended an 8-day training (6 hr/day) for math teaching. It started on the Tuesday after the last day of school and lasted until the following Thursday. I'm just glad I get a stipend! that's 48 hours plus another 3 hours next Wednesday.

38. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

Did a one day iPad conference by a local district a few weeks ago, which was good. Conscious Discipline conference next week which I am very excited for! That's it.... I teach in a private school so no district trainings.

However we are getting to go see The Sisters for Daily 5/CAFE 2 day conference in September :celebrate:

39. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 21, 2014

I'm going to my first PD EVER this coming week! It's a 3 day Common Core Math training. I'm going with a few other teachers from my new school that I've never met. Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any tips for this first year teacher who feels a little nervous about her first PD? Thanks!

40. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

You many find out that the best parts were break time and lunch time. Just don't say this out loud to anyone! :lol:

41. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

Just don't be afraid to introduce yourselves to others and participate. I was talking to a tablemate at one of mine and realized she was a first year teacher who was actually hired to work at my school this upcoming school year. Sometimes you can make connections with people and that becomes the best part. ;)