Are you an introvert or an extrovert??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jan 13, 2010.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 16, 2010

I'm an introvert with adults, but not as much with kids. :)

I teach K and AM drained at the end of the day, but a adult beverage helps. :)

2. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 16, 2010

Extrovert all the way. I do know some great teachers who are introverts. A passion for learning/teaching is the most important things and both introverts and extroverts can have that! Perhaps you're being drained is more of a second year issue than an introvert issue....

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2010

I'm an extreme extrovert -- I will tak to anyone, any time, and I have never met a stranger. I will even get on stage in front of a crowd and still be comfortable.

I think it is becuase my family moved a lot because of my dad's job, and we were always being thrust into new situations and meeting new people.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 16, 2010

I'm generally an introvert, though I can also be extroverted (particularly with kids)

5. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

I'm an introvert at heart, but I often "force" myself to be an extrovert in social and professional situations. I'm much more at ease with kids than with adults.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 16, 2010

I think it depends on the situation and who I am with. I can feel energetic if I'm having a good time with the people I'm talking to or shy if we don't have much in common or if the conversation feels awkward!

7. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Jan 16, 2010

I was just studying for my ELA content examination for next month, and I just learned a new word in the "affix" section -- ambivert!!!

"Ambi" meaning "both," an ambivert is someone who is both an extrovert and an introvert. Here is the official definition:

"An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd."

Sounds like most of us here!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 16, 2010

I am an intorvert in just about every setting BUT the classroom. Mingling, flirting, making small talk at dinner parties or with people I don't know well can be terribly difficult for me. Getting up in front of large groups can cause me to feel anything from nervous to completely terrified depending on the situation. Put me in charge of a classroom though and I'm a true extrovert. I think it is an authority thing. I'm in charge, I know it, and I take it. Kids soon figure it out too.:thumb:

9. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 17, 2010

Great question, thanks!

Introvert though most would probably say I'm extroverted

On days of heavy teaching (start of a unit with lots of notes and lecture) I feel very drained at the end

Like to interact one-on-one or be on stage for the whole class, but can get claustrophobic in whole class discussions or when too many kids come up to my desk.

Love the quiet of the after school times.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 17, 2010

Me too! When more than a couple kids start asking questions at once, I litterally put my hands over my ears and start singing or just tell them all to go away and I call them up one at a time. Sometimes they have to sign up to see me. The last ten minutes of the day can be heaven (if they have earned the right to play Silent Ball) or the longest 10 minute headache ever (if they haven't) because of all the chaos and noise. I am going to institute silent reading this semester from 2:40-2:50 and then give them five minutes to pack up or we don't play.

As for the energy drain, I always just chalked that up to the nature of the work. I am wiped out and need a nap everyday for the first two weeks of school and again for a few days after returning form Christmas break. Generally I am more tired at the end of some days than others depending what we did, and Friday nights find me more exhausted than Monday mornings.

Does anyone else find it easier for them to relate to young people than their peers? I have always been this way. I would have rather babysat than go out on Saturday nights when I was in high school. Now I'd rather work with kids than adults (like in an office setting) most of the time. I find it easier to sit and hold conversations with children on their terms than try to make small talk with my own friends out at dinner parties or clubs.

11. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Jan 17, 2010

I'm with you. I love my kids, and I go home with a "good tired". It's my co-workers I can't deal with, so I shut down. Talking to some parents is difficult. I have had to work hard this past year on communication since I am alone in my room. Forget small talk! As a child, one of the older neighbor ladies would always ask if a cat got my tongue! Once people get to know me, and I them, I can talk their ear off!

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2010

Even though I am an extrovert, I find children far more interesting than adults in many situations. You always know where you stand with them, and they are more open to discussion. They have imaginations, and don't considerusing them a waste of time :haha:

And, they are not so pessimistic.

13. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 18, 2010

runsw/scissors--

I could not agree more with you! I've always felt more comfortable with kids (or younger friends) and also socializing with people my parents age. I think it's a bit of an insecurity thing for me. I feel like these people aren't judging or competing with me as much or something. But I was the same way with always loving to babysit on the weekends rather than go out. I also feel comfortable working with more experienced/older teaching colleagues.

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 18, 2010

I am an extrovert all the way. I find that I relate to children better than other people do, but not better than I relate to adults. My SO always points out how kids (aged 10-18) seem to be drawn to me in social situations. I think its because I don't look at them as "Mike's daughter" or Johnny's son". They are people, usually with interesting points of view and great conversation. But, I am just as comfortable talking to the adults.

15. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jan 18, 2010

I'm a complete introvert. I'm not a social person unless the topic is interesting, then I can talk and talk. But I'm not one to make small talk. Even with family members. I remember calling my mom when she was in the hospital. I asked "how are you feeling?" she said "fine." and then it was awkward silence for a few seconds before I told her that I was just calling to see how she was doing and that I had to go do some errand. I can be fine infront of a group of adults depending on what I'm doing. I taught math to adults last year and it wasn't bad at all. I guess it was because I had a reason to talk, plus I felt comfortable because I was teaching them, so I didn't think of them as my "equal" (not saying they were less than I am, but I pretended they were my students).

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 18, 2010

One year early in my teaching, our P actually tested each of us and I came out almost 1/2 and 1/2 - with a little leaning toward introvert!

At times I love socializing. TeacherGroupie put it best: a true introvert is drained by socializing, but energized by being alone. A true extrovert is energized by socializing, but drained by being alone. I am drained by socializing, though I am very good at it.

After last week - 5 long social events, lots of talking/listening/meeting people in 6 days - I crashed and burned on Sunday night! I absolutely had to have some time alone. I felt like I was going to pass out, felt sick to my stomach! After 2 hours alone, I felt a lot better.

Yes, teaching drains me. But there is no other profession I can ever imagine doing, for lots of the reasons you all have stated! Love those kids!

17. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jan 18, 2010

I'm definitely an introvert. I get sick of being around friends and other people sometimes including family. I would be ok teaching though because it's a job and something I have to do and wouldn't mind doing. When it comes to social activities, I'd rather not go and I definitely don't mind being by myself and prefer it that way.
    I think it also depends on the situation though. If I feel like it, I can be an extrovert but if I couldn't care less, then introvert it is.

18. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 19, 2010

Are you me? ;)
    (Particularly the part about social activities and not really caring to go.)

Like others said, I'm tired... but it's a good tired. (Though, it has made me out-of-shape, cuz I neglect working out after work way too much.)