Are you allowed to wear jeans?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mathemagician, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

I just found out today from a teacher in my district that many teachers in my district (public school) wear jeans EVERY DAY. He said that the principal and super allow it, but that it may not be a good idea for non-tenured teachers. I don't own jeans anyway so it doesn't much matter to me, but this surprised as I thought most districts forbade jeans except possibly on Fridays.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear jeans every day if we want.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

We're allowed on Fridays if we wear a school shirt with them. In my last school we were technically only supposed to on Fridays, but many teachers wore them during the week and no one said anything.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear them on our staff meeting days WITH a school shirt. (This is once per month).

We do fundraisers for things like Relay for Life where you can pay to wear jeans.

Once in a while, my P throws in a 'free jeans day'.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear them...the guys wear them more often then the women..I wear mostly on fundraiser Fridays (donate $5 and wear jeans) and field trips.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Of course, there are teachers who abuse this. My P responds with blanket statements and threats to take away our once-per-month day. Nothing ever changes. :rolleyes:

8. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

We are encouraged to dress professionally. That said, most of us wear jeans only on Fridays. If by chance we do wear jeans mid-week, it is due to an outdoor field trip or a classroom activity/project. We have a new superintendent so we shall see if he has a new decree. :)

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 2, 2012

We are only allowed to wear jeans on Fridays, and only if we pay $5 for whatever the fundraiser is for that week. We used to do this only once or twice a year, but over the past couple of years it has been pretty much every Friday.

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

We are not allowed to wear jeans. Sometime admin does give us special days where they allow it otherwise it is professional attire

11. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 2, 2012

We can not wear jeans, cargo pants or sneakers. We can get away with sneakers if they are all black though.

12. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear jeans on Fridays. Last week though, our P let us wear jeans on Thursday and Friday.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

Only on Fridays with spirit shirts or field trips.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear jeans on Friday with a school shirt.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

We are encouraged to wear tennis shoes. I hate them, so I rarely do. But, for safety reasons, they would be elated if we all wore tennis shoes!

(I am their nightmare- I wear flip-flops daily. It is what I will miss the most if I ever get a position back 'home.' Flip-flops are totally unacceptable there.)

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear jeans on Wednesdays (students get out early on Wednesdays and we have PLC time).

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

We can wear them. Last school, we couldnt. Funnily enough, teachers at my current school dress much nicer and more professionally than at my last.

I often wear them, but I wear dressier tops like button down shirts or similar. The jeans I wear are a darker wash boot cut, not the skinny jeans I wear out of school. All jeans arent created equal.

I feel like kids think teachers are more approachable when they are more casually dressed. Maybe it is just me, but I've noticed a difference.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

Fridays.
    Or, the last day of the week (e.g. if we don't have school on Friday, we can wear jeans on Thursday).

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

In my district, we don't have a dress code. Many teachers wear jeans on a daily basis.

I worked with one teacher last year who wore SWEAT PANTS every day (no--he wasn't a P.E. teacher, either)! It looked awful!

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 2, 2012

Jeans are not a problem in my district. I agree that the guys generally wear them more than the women. I generally wear them every Friday and on other days when I have a class activity which would require them.

21. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

I wore jeans pretty much everyday last year. We did have a faculty district dress code, but our principal told us on numerous occasions that she didn't care what we wore and she wanted us to be comfortable...since our contract hours were 9 hours and all.

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012

We can wear jeans any day. I try to stick to Fridays only, but that doesn't always happen. Some teachers will wear jeans and a t-shirt. I don't get that casual, if I'm wearing jeans its with a nice top or sweater. The only time I'll wear a t-shirt is if I'm going on a field trip or at the end of the year when I'm doing a ton of cleaning and I don't want to get my clothes dirty. I also usually wear ballet flats or boots with my jeans too. I only wear sneakers on trips.

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012

We aren't allowed to wear jeans any day, for any reason. One teacher showed up in dressier jeans and was sent home.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 3, 2012

The students in my school have severe disabilities so the staff mostly dresses very comfortably. Also, we don't tend to wear expensive clothing because it could get ruined at a moment's notice (students who can't feed themselves correctly plus unpredicatable behaviors = unintentional food fights). If I know a parent is coming or I have a meeting with a district I will dress nicer.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012

We were allowed to wear them whenever we wanted at my last job, but we were encouraged to wear them on Fridays.

Now we can only wear them on special Fridays.

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

This. Denim skirts are also a no-no, as are slacks with pockets on the outside of the butt. We are the only school in our area with that strict of a dress code, but without fail any time our campus has a visitor we are praised for our professional appearance.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

We can wear them any day, but few do other than on Fridays when about half the staff wear them.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

There is a teacher at my school that wears sweatpants every day. With Crocs. I am actually embarrassed when we go to workshops and stuff.

29. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

We're only allowed to wear jeans on Friday, and it has to be paired with a school shirt or a shirt our school color.

30. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

We're not allowed to wear jeans, ever. On the first staff day last year, we had our first introduction to our new principal. He announced that he has no problem with "jeans Friday" and the crowd went wild! We all took advantage of it on the first Friday of the year, only to have a visit from the superintendent and we had the jeans shot down right then and there. We enjoyed at least one jeans day! :)

31. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012

We can where jeans whenever we want. There have been teachers that wear jeans and a tshirt or sweatshirt every day.
    There are some people that wear track suits and my principal frowns upon that, but I don't think she has ever said anything to those teachers. The only ones that should be in sweats or track suits are the gym teachers.

32. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

No jeans ever. Well, that's not 100% true. We had one day last year where we could pay $5 towards a fundraiser and wore them. In the school I was a LTS at before this district we could wear them on pay day Fridays.

33. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

Our gym teachers have to change out of shorts or track pants before coming into the office or academic buildings. We are pretty strict at my school.

34. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

We're allowed to wear jeans pretty much any day.

I tend to only choose Friday to wear jeans (and a school spirit shirt).

One year I did wear jeans more often than not... but I noticed that parents treated me differently... and not for the better. When I went back to more professional attire, I noticed fewer issues with parents.

35. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

At my old school, we could only wear them on fundraising days or days that our P told us we could. We only had to pay $2 though. I'm not sure I'd pay $5!

I'm not sure what the policy is at my new school but I'm so hoping for casual Friday!

36. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

We can wear jeans whenever we would like. I try to only wear them on Fridays and then I pair them with a dressy top and nice shoes. If I am meeting with a parent or I know about a visitor coming, then I make sure I am not wearing jeans.

37. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

No jeans/denim at my school. SOMETIMES, if there is a fundraiser we can participate & wear jeans with a school shirt.

38. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

OMG...NO!!! Our principal is quite the fashonista, and would die! I wish I could wear them, because I am a severe/profound EC Teacher. I have to change students, and am constantly lifting kids for one reason or another.

39. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

WOW! This is a bit extreme!

40. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

Denim skirts....okay.
    Slacks with pockets outside of the butt....this is craziness! :mad:

41. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

In my old district, you could wear jeans whenever you wanted. Teachers would even wear shorts when it was hot. Track suits/ velour sweat suits were also common during the winter. In my current district, we are allowed jeans only on Fridays, and I can't imagine any one would wear shorts or sweatsuits!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.