Are you allowed to leave your building during planning or lunch?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2012

We can if we have something quick that we need to do, and we have to sign-out before we leave. We also generally let somebody in the office know we're leaving as well.

We are not allowed to go out for lunch. We can have food delivered. Lunch is only 20 minutes, so leaving during lunch is out of the question anyway, even though I have duty-free lunch.

2. traveler

traveler Comrade

Apr 23, 2012

I leave during lunch 2-3 times a week. Many of us on our campus do. As long as we are back in time, it's fine.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 23, 2012

We couldn't. Our lunch isn't an hour long. It would create a potential for late people. Mostly though, we are a fairly small school and if there were to ever be an emergency situation, it is a good idea to have a variety of personnel there. If only lunch duty people were there, the staff would be too lean to handle a crisis.

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 23, 2012

I do believe by law in my state you have 30 mins of duty free lunch. You can leave to grab food or make a quick bank run as long as the front office knows you aren't in the building. I've had to leave a few times for such things and it's never been an issue.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 23, 2012

It's discouraged to leave during lunch. I personally think they are afraid you will decide not to come back! ;)

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 23, 2012

We can, anytime as long as we are back to cover our own class. I would guess if someone left every day it would be an issue. Everyone leaves to run to the post office or grab lunch once in awhile.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2012

Wow...this thread has caused me to shake my head in disbelief! My jaw is literally dropped right now. I truly can't believe that some districts frown upon teachers leaving during lunch.

I have a 50-minute duty-free lunch and I typically leave every single day. I live about 5 minutes away from campus, so I go home to eat and relax. On Fridays, though, my friends and I go out to lunch. We're always back on time, though (though there are times when we joke about not returning)!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

Not everyone has duty-free lunch.

9. appleaday180

appleaday180 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

Again, it's all about respecting the rules! Some of my colleagues have a difficult time setting example for their students and require so much of them, even after providing them with a terrible example!

10. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 24, 2012

Consider yourself extremely lucky.

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Apr 25, 2012

I'm not exactly sure what the rules are, but we're allowed to leave during lunch or planning period. I do know the unwritten rules is that if you leave, the office should not have to deal with people looking for you for an appointment. I've left a handful of times this year and you're supposed to sign a clipboard saying what time you left, who you are, why you left and when you got back. I normally put my name and put my departure and return time before I leave. I'm never planning to be gone longer than it takes to grab whatever it is I'm after and my conference and lunch are back to back giving me just under two hours in the middle of the day.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2012

I think one of the key pieces of information missing from many posts on this thread is why you can't leave for lunch.

For example, if your lunch is not deemed "duty free" and you are needed to supervise kids, then that is legitimate.

But if you have a duty free lunch, but your admins have decided that you can't leave because you might not be back in time, then that is a prime example of how school administrators confuse their job of keeping kids in line with their job of managing employees.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2012

We have lunch duty everyday, so we can't leave for lunch.

We have three 45-minute planning periods a week. We can leave if it is necessary, but we have to sign out in the office. We also better have a good reason for leaving. I have planning at the end of the day and someone else dismisses my class. So, on Friday I left during planning to go to the doctor because I started running a fever during the day. I know the school nearest to us is not allowed to leave at all. For anything.