Are you allowed to grade work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Apr 6, 2020

We've been told that no grades can be given during the COVID-19 closure, but we aren't supposed to "publicize" that we aren't grading. I've had several parents ask me. If they specifically ask we can tell them that we aren't grading.
    We aren't even allowed to collect papers. Parents can scan them and send them to our email.
    Half of my class has no internet. The huge county next to mine is giving kids hotspots. Our county suggested sitting in the school parking lot or McDonald's parking lot to get internet access.. I guess this is why we can't grade.
    Are you allowed to grade work?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 6, 2020

We are told to grade all work, but in the next breath are told kids over academics, so don’t worry about grades and covering all standards.
    It is a bit confusing. I am giving credit for participation.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 6, 2020

We are allowed to grade work, but my school is also year-round and will reconvene in the summer once stay-at-home orders are lifted. We're also in the process of ordering laptops and hotspots for our students, with seniors getting first dibs.

For absolute certain, this is going to forever change the way public schools operate.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2020

We just started our formal remote learning today; we are still working on getting technology to students who need it. At this point, we have been told to focus on feedback over grades. My messaging to my families is that the students should complete all work as if it is going to be graded.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 6, 2020

Yes, we are told to grade the work as it is e-mailed to us. We are expected to enter grades online, but to give more time than usual to allow for late work.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 6, 2020

We are grading work in grades 6-12. I'm not sure about elementary. Our work is also modified versions of what we were going to be covering in class anyway. I'm not grading quite as strictly as I do during in-person class, but I'm still grading.

Most of my 84 kids have internet access. I have maybe 10 with packets. They all have Chromebooks. The ones who don't have internet are using paper packets. After they return them to school, nobody can touch them for five days. After that, they are scanned and emailed to us.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 6, 2020

I am required to take grades.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 6, 2020

We are sticking to our essential tests for grading.

10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Apr 6, 2020

Yes our teachers are still grading. The way our online environment is set up is that it automatically grades, they just have to go back and confirm the accuracy. But we’ve also been advising to put students’ mental health above all else. This is a very stressful time for everyone, and is new territory for everyone. There’s been a lot of schedules upset and things have been through completely out of order.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 6, 2020

We are grading as usual. Workload for students has been reduced but they still get graded on what they turn in, or get zeros if they don’t turn work in.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 6, 2020

I have no idea if we'll ever get the packets back that we sent home so....?

whizkid likes this.
  13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 6, 2020

My district’s current mantra is: Grace over Grades.

bella84, Backroads and readingrules12 like this.
  14. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Apr 7, 2020

As of now, we are grading and waiting on our district for further guidance. I have greatly simplified the work I give my students, however. I'm trying to keep them connected to my class rather than assess what they know. There is too much stress and anxiety in the world right now for that.

MrsC likes this.
  15. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Apr 7, 2020

We're out for the rest of the year and providing optional, ungraded work.

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 7, 2020

Absolutely! You can grade work. You just can't count it. :dizzy:

17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 7, 2020

For those not grading, are you required to check in or remind/bug students to turn things in if they haven’t been doing anything? Or is it just, if they do it, they do it?

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 7, 2020

What?

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 7, 2020

For those of you who are not grading: are students earning credits? Are they going to have to repeat the grade or how is it handled?

20. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 7, 2020

We're waiting for a board meeting for a solid answer, but so far we've been told it's going to be pass/fail grading this quarter instead of letter grades. We're not to mark assignments as missing in the grade book, but if students do no work, they'll fail. We've been encouraged to offer positive feedback to any attempt, no matter how pathetic, at turning in work.

Most students who were up for retention are getting promoted anyway because of my state's process. They have to be given a chance to meet their promotion plan requirements, which they now won't have, so they'll go to the next grade unless a parent wants to retain them. It doesn't matter for the HS anyway, since my school makes them re-take failed core courses. The seniors are having their GPAs set at whatever they were based on 3rd quarter grades.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 8, 2020

So teachers would take more time out of their day to grade work (most are working way over regular school hours, especially since students and parents demand they are available all day and night), they can't count it? Why bother? There's probably minimal effort in some cases. Also, I have heard of instances where kids are submitting work that the parents obviously did for them.

22. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Apr 9, 2020

We're to check on those not participating and make sure they have access, but after that, if they're not doing it, so be it.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 11, 2020

We are grading everything. Most mornings I wake up to find my email box crammed w/pics of assignments. GC is filled w/ docs too to grade. 1 even sends assignments to my phone. It was the only way one could do it.If we did not give a lot of feedback, I am pretty sure kids would stop working. I heard a rumor though and believe part of it. If a kid is a SR, he will graduate even if he did nothing. ( That I believe.)
    If the kids turn in zero assignments, IDK what to do. You can't flunk kids because of this....not that I want to flunk kids, but I will put bad marks on completed assignments and other areas like that. In our area, there is little excuse for not trying.
    Kids were sent home w/ computers, workbooks, and have access to teachers anytime during the day. I only know 1 w/out internet access. That 1 I fully understand. She makes phone calls back and forth a lot. At least 90% of the parents don't work. Many of the parents have been working with us and have a whole new appreciation of teachers. I have gained an appreciation for some parents too.
    I have hounded a couple of parents to a point that I am afraid they will block me or start calling me nonstop at 3AM b/c I know I wake them at 2PM probably! After 3 wks of hounding, 1 actually did get in touch w/ me though! ( Celebrate!) We have to document a lot.
    I think it all depends, but teachers here have been working 12 hr days often to get this virtual learning to work.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2020

While we aren't officially supposed to be grading or giving due dates, my students are asking for them. When I'm setting up an assignment in Google Classroom, I am posting a due date, but will accept work whenever it is handed in. I am also including a Level (1, 2, 3, or 4) in my feedback, along with suggestions for next steps.

25. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 11, 2020

The work we assign isn’t for a grade. I think the kids have figured it out so many of them didn’t bother registering and using the Remind codes that were generated for the classes. I do respond to students when they submit work.

26. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

Apr 11, 2020

Hehe

27. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 12, 2020

“At least 90% of the parents don’t work.”

Only in America.

ಠ_ಠ

(-‸ლ)

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

28. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2020

We are grading Quarter 4 on a pass/fail system. Therefore, my team decided to grade work on a 3, 2, 1 scale.

Most of my kids have access but I have a few students struggling with family situations and are not completing work. I also have a few students who are just not completing work.

29. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 12, 2020

From what I hear and believe, we will be grading on just a pass system. I am really glad we just have standards and not grades at this time. I can honestly put a 2 for anyone who knows PART of a strand. If they are working hard, I'll put 4's in the behavior type category. If not, I am going to have to put a 1 for a couple who do nothing. Still I grade every sheet that comes on w/ a 100, 90, 80, or whatever. The parents understand that system better.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  30. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 12, 2020

I'm in a Pre-K through 2 building. We are asking families to take a photo of only two assignments per week to share with the teacher over email/Dojo/text, but we are not grading anything. Third grade and up are doing some sort of grading, likely more strict the older they get, but I'm not really familiar with how they are doing it.