Are you allowed to eat/drink during class?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by orangetea, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

In my friend's school, teachers aren't allowed to drink (no water, coffee, etc.) during class. I have never heard of this before because none of the schools I've worked at have this policy.

I never eat during class, but I always have tea and water with me. My school doesn't have any kind of policy on this. I feel bad for her because her throat gets so dry when she's talking, but she's not allowed to have water. Is this common?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

No, we're not under normal circumstances.

During the times I needed to-- when I was sick, or pregnant, or undergoing radiation, I got clearance to keep a water bottle in my podium. But even at those times, I drank it between classes. I can easily go 38 minutes without a drink. I'm 53 years old and, thankfully, healthy.

Besides, what goes in must come out, and some days that's a far bigger scheduling problem.

4. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

May 5, 2012

We are allowed to drink water. If we have soda or anything it has to be in a non-see-through cup.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 5, 2012

We are. I have a hot water "maker" behind my desk and I keep tea and sugar in tins; I usually make a cup after second or third period. Kids are allowed to have water bottles, but ours really push the envelope. Nothing ticks me off more than to have a kid arrive late, carrying a Starbucks drink. Next year I'm going to be much more of a hardnose on some things--that's one of them.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 5, 2012

We can drink and we can eat within reason. I usually drink my coffee or soda or juice (depending on the day) during my first period class. We are on block schedules and honestly I probably couldn't go a whole block without water on our really hot days. I've passed out twice from a combo of problems including not enough water and low blood sugar. I will usually snack on grapes during my last class if I start to feel the least bit lightheaded.

Our kids are allowed to have drinks in class. I limit them if I notice they're constantly leaving trash but otherwise I don't care.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

I hate it when kids do that too! We have a Starbucks and a Dunkin Donuts right next to school, so this happens a lot.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

We have no restrictions whatsoever. We live in a tropical climate and everyone is encouraged to stay hydrated. Most classes also have snack and many of them do a variety of cooking activities so we always have plenty of eating and drinking going on. It doesn't affect instruction because it is the norm at our school.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

We're allowed as long as it is water in a clear container, or if it is soda then it needs to be in an opaque container and out of children's reach. Any hot drinks are not allowed, BUT by the length of time your coffee sits around, it would be cold by the time the boss finds it.:D Right?
    I can't see myself longing for a drink and can't have it. If children are allowed to go get water or bring bottled water, THEN why can't teachers have it too?:mad:
    Rebel1

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

We are allowed to eat and drink during class, but we don't have traditional passing periods and during passing times we are supposed to monitor the hallways. Since I eat and drink during work times, I don't care if the students do (being pregnant made eating during class a must).

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 5, 2012

We don't have any restrictions.

I always eat my breakfast in my classroom during the time the kids are there. (We have 20 minutes between the time the kids start arriving and class begins.)

Years ago I was sick for a long time, and I had to eat at certain times, and I also had medication to take with food at unusual times of the day.

I have a fridge in my room, and I'll keep a drink in there.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

Honestly, I would not want to work for a school that didn't allow teachers to have water. Give me a freaking break. That level of control is disgusting.

I allow my students to have water as well.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 5, 2012

Officially (district-wise), we're not supposed to. However, we have 90 minute periods - that's a long time to go without a drink. I bring hot tea in the morning, and fill a bottle with water for after lunch.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

There are no restrictions on teachers in my school.

15. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

May 5, 2012

Seriously. I would have to quit! I drink about 4 bottles of water a day at school. Hello dry mouth. I bet if you have a doctor's note, they would be required to let you have water.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 5, 2012

We don't have any restrictions. Most if us keep water, soda, coffee or tea (and in my case, hot chocolate) on our desks. A few teachers eat small snacks throughout the day. We had a creepy critter problem at the beginning of the year and we were asked to stop temporarily. Once that was under control we were allowed to eat/drink again.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 5, 2012

We have no restrictions whatsoever.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

No restrictions. My kids have snack each morning...I'll have my coffee then. I generally dont Eat though.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

Liquids are supposed to be in an opaque container with no labels (no Coke cans or anything), but this is never enforced. I frequently have a can (or sometimes bottle) of Dr. Pepper.
    We are only supposed to eat at the kid's snack time. I typically stick to the policy unless I have a bunch of morning meetings and I didn't have time for breakfast. Then, I'll eat it during our announcements while the kids are doing morning work.

20. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 5, 2012

Oh, I completely agree. I wouldn't work for a place that didn't allow me to be able to have a bit of water while I was working.

I am allowed to drink, snack, etc. No restrictions. I don't normally eat while I'm with students, but it's pretty normal for me to have my cup filled with up with coffee or soda.

Sorry, but I wouldn't stand for it. They'd have to find a new speech therapist...

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 6, 2012

I always have a nalgene water bottle on my desk. It keeps me hydrated, but one time I forgot to close it and a student accidentally spilled it on my laptop. >_< Probably not best practices to have one out.

Every now and then I have some breakfast that I eat in class (like a muffin or something). I try not to do it often though because it induces playful resentment or begging, but I don't function without food, and I have to get up really early because I work very far from where I live. I usually am able to scarf it down before I even see the kids.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 6, 2012

I think it's crazy to have that kind of restriction. Water is very important, especially if we have to talk to all day. I remember when I first started student teaching, I wasn't used to talking so much. I would have very bad waves of thirst come over me, + my throat would dry up so much, I don't know what I would have done without water.

I also need my coffee. I NEED it.
    Technically I could eat, but I feel bad eating in front of the kids. This is actually a problem for me now, because I've been trying to lose 10 lbs, and I know the reason I can't is because I don't eat enough. If I force myself, i have breakfast, but often I don't have time, or I forget. By the time i get to eat is 11:15, and that's not good for the first meal of the day. Then I eat again at 2:45 pm.
    I wish I could have a quick snack around 10 am, and I've been thinking about bringing smoothies or protein drinks, etc. My blood sugar can drop easily, so that's another issue.

23. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 6, 2012

PLEASE do, for your health. If not a snack, then as you mentioned, some kind of shake that would help bridge the gap to lunch time.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

I've never worked at a school where we weren't allowed to have some sort of beverage or food.

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind not allowing water in the classroom.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

There aren't any restrictions for drinks or snacks for teacher. I always go through a few big tumblers of water every day, and I would really suffer if I couldn't have those. I get headaches if I get dehydrated. Besides that, I live in a desert climate, so the air is dry and it's rough on bodies--chapped lips, dry skin, etc. Water is really the only thing you can do to help those things, so I drink it freely throughout the day. It would be inconvenient to go to the office to get a sip or two of water between periods because we're supposed to supervise the hallways between periods.

I sometimes have a Diet Coke or a can of carbonated water (La Croix) if I need a little something extra. I don't normally snack during class, but I do keep some granola bars and crackers around in case I feel like I might need something. Sometimes the lighting and all the smells (Axe body spray, mostly) get to me and make me feel lightheaded. A few bites of a snack help with that. I'd rather subtly grab a snack during class than pass out in front of everyone. I don't flaunt my snacks, and I don't get anything that will be smelly or noisy or noticeable. I'm an adult. I know when I might need a snack, and I wouldn't like it if someone came in and told me that I couldn't have one.

26. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

I wouldn't eat in class but often take a beaker of coffee into a lesson as there are many occassions where my break gets taken up dealing with something for work and I can't sit and drink it. The beaker has a cover so H&S is satisfied. If a child mentiones it (how dare they)! then I point out that they had a break where they could get a drink whereas I didn't and that they would prefer to be taught by me with coffee inside me rather than caffiene deprived!

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

No restrictions--I am usually finishing up my extra-large coffee during first period and then I carry my water bottle for the rest of the day. I think I could count on one hand the number of times I have ever had something to eat during class; those were times when I was in a meeting through my entire lunch break and I needed to have a little something to get me through the afternoon.

28. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 6, 2012

The students regularly eat - often entire meals - in class. The only permissible exceptions are where safety is a concern: chemistry lab, etc. Individual teachers are not permitted to forbid eating, barring such a safety concern. It all works fine. My only peeve here is crackling bags, but life goes on.

Of course, teachers may do the same, though pounding down a three-course is a little impractical when you're trying to teach something. I generally don't eat during class, though I could.

I have an electric kettle in my room, and we all chip in for tea and sugar. Cups come and go (talking of Michaelangelo) and, again, life goes on.

29. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 6, 2012

We are allowed to eat and drink in class. I normally eat my lunch in my classroom while I work. I drink water throughout the day.
    Kids are allowed a small snack if they are eating the late lunch hour. Water bottles are allowed during the warmer months.

30. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 6, 2012

We can eat and drink freely. I ALWAYS have water with me. The kids are allowed to have water bottles, especially in the hot months. On rare occasions I'll have a Mt.Dew, but I usually drink that when the kids are at recess or lunch. As for eatting, I'll eat with them during snack time and that's about it. Sometimes I am finishing my breakfast when they walk in in the morning. Since most of them are coming from breakfast, they really don't mind.

31. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 6, 2012

We aren't allowed to have anything but water; however, if we have something else in an opaque container, it's generally ignored. We aren't allowed to eat in class unless we've chosen to allow our students to have a snack period. Kids aren't allowed to have water bottles in class.

There have been rumors for the past couple of years that the district will prohibit teachers from having water bottles in class, but it hasn't happened so far!

32. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

Just no soda in front of kids.
    I save that for breaks.

I even allow my 2nd graders to eat and drink at will.
    I do try to regulate it some with dry, healthy snacks from home.
    I only had a problem once with a girl who was a sloppy, noisey eater.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 6, 2012

We can have food or drink in the classroom. I just wouldn't bring hot coffee in when the kids are there due to safety reasons.

34. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 6, 2012

We have no restrictions. I show up every morning with a thermos full of coffee and a Camelbak bottle full of ice water. I have also been known to eat snacks while teaching (yogurt, string cheese, nuts, hard boiled egg). My kids even know my "usuals" and have never made any comments about me eating. I eat breakfast around 5:15 am and don't get a lunch break until 12:15 pm. I would like to meet anyone that can go that long without eating anything!

The kids are allowed to have water bottles/juice and snacks whenever, as long as the trash doesn't get out of control. The only thing that is outlawed is energy drinks. The kids will stop at the gas station and pick one or two of those up on the way to school and chug them outside the building before school starts :/

35. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 6, 2012

You had to get clearance to bring in a water bottle??

It's really disturbing to me that there are restrictions in schools about drinking beverages. Water, tea, soda....I would have a big problem with that.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

I know...getting permission to drink water in the classroom...it really does disgust me.

37. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

What is the rationale for teachers not being allowed to have water? I don't understand!

We have no restrictions at my school. All I drink in front of my students is water, though. Well, I do tend to have a bottle of Vitamin water sometimes, too. My students are allowed to get up and get a drink at the drinking fountain. I get to drink, too!

38. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 6, 2012

I REALLY, REALLY WANT TO HEAR SOME OF THE ADMIN JUSTIFICATIONS FOR NOT ALLOWING TEACHERS TO DRINK WATER.

39. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 6, 2012

I really don't get restriction about the water, that's just wrong on so many levels. the food, I can understand, may there was a teacher who abused it at a certain school, and ate all the time, kids ate because (s)he ate, etc. But water?

At my school we're not supposed to have ANY medicine. This especially came up again when I had a sub and she let the kids go though my desk, and later Aleve bottles and a Vitamin C bottle were found. The officer said we have to keep everything in the office, even over the counter medication like Advil. He said he knows we can control the kids, but one day there'll be a sub and things will go wrong.
    I have a huge metal shelf in my classroom that I can lock up (and I do lock up my stuff, purse, food, etc), but he said said even that's not good enough, because what if one day we leave it unlocked?
    Probation can go through our stuff in the classroom! They can go through that locked shelf, my desk and if they did find medicine I could be in trouble.
    I have a problem with that, so I do keep Aleve, Advil etc. in my purse (that is locked up in the classroom). they can't search my purse :)

40. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

I just thought of this- we are not allowed anything (even water) during testing.

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 6, 2012

Do you at least have water fountains in the hallways??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.