Are you allergic to foods but eat them anyway?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 17, 2012

I'm allergic to milk. Problem is, I love it! DOH! I don't have your 'typical' reaction to it (such as bloating, diarrhea, etc.) but instead my reaction is all respiratory. A few mins after I consume it I get a runny nose and sneeze like the dickens, sometimes for hours, depending on how much I had.

But I'm stubborn, so I still have milk in my coffee, love ice cream, and I'll even indulge in a glass of milk if I'm eating something spicy because it's such a good combination :)

Anyone else still eat things you're allergic to?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

No food allergies. Why torment yourself though? Have you tried soy or almond milk?

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2012

I don't have any allergies, but I wonder if you have tried lactose free milk to see if that helps with the allergy symptoms. My son seems to be mildly lactose intolerent and he drinks Lactaid brand milk. It is made from regular milk and tastes the same. One of my cousins is allergic to eggs but loves deviled eggs and eats them at family gatherings (probably the only time she is around them, who makes 2 deviled eggs LOL).

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2012

I'm allergic to bell peppers. I try very, very hard not to eat them... but it's difficult. People put them in EVERYTHING, and a lot of people don't understand that I can't just pick them out of a dish, because everything is tainted by them.

But my cousin makes the BEST sausage and peppers... they're worth the horrible next two days once a year.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2012

Have you tried all the various non-dairy milks?

Coconut milk ice cream is delicious (only the coconut flavor tastes like coconut). It's on a par with Haagen Daz.

For your coffee, you can buy soy creamer, including flavored varieties, almond milk creamer, and coconut milk creamer (again, no coconut taste).

Or, try almond milk (my favorite), rice milk, oat milk, or soy milk.

Really, there are so many great alternatives easily available these days, why sneeze and suffer?!

Unsweetened rice and almond milks are probably the most neutral.

I know a few people who loved milk, but switched to soy for cereal, etc. for health reasons. they missed the dairy at first, but ended up loving the soy and preferring it.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 17, 2012

I do have slight reactions to a bunch of different foods. I eat most of them but monitor the amount and the time of the year. When other airborne allergies are high, my body is less able to tolerate the sensitivities.

I understand why you do what you do, but I have come to the point where some things I just almost completely avoid because the reaction is just not tolerable to me anymore.

Luckily I have no life-threatening food allergies.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

The only thing I know I'm allergic to is the antibiotic Avelox.

The one time I had it, my throat closed up and I ended up in the ER.

So, no, I don't fool around with allergies. They accidentally prescribed it after my mastectomy, and I made a point of getting it changed.

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 17, 2012

Good Lord, no!

I'm allergic to raw carrots. My reactions are anaphylactic and I carry an epi-pen.

I rarely order salads at restaurants because I don't want to risk it. Carrots rarely come into my house, but SO sometimes indulges. Even though I'm not allergic to cooked carrots, I avoid them in soups and stews as well. I'm not sure how cooked they have to be, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

My husband isn't allergic to dairy, but it does not mix well with him. Well, as you can imagine, he tortures himself by eating ice cream.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 17, 2012

I believe lactose intolerance doesn't get much worse (I mean it can get worse but not to the point of becoming fatal) but please, PLEASE don't consume anything you are even slightly allergic to.

We build up our allergic reactions and each time they will get worse. It might go slowly first but then you can have major problems.
    - My sister: we ate a lot of poppy seeds because in my country we use it in a lot of pastries, and in some dishes. No problem until she was about 14, she had a slight reaction. The next time her throat swell up and she still didn't care, the 3rd time she had to go to the ER because she couldn't breath.
    - my daughter: she was stung by a bee when she was 4, no problem. She was stung again in May, she is now 14 (she hasn't been stung for 10 years), she had no reaction. she got stung again about a month later, she broke out in hives, hard a little hard time breathing, etc.

- one time the school almost thought I was abusing her, because she started to have these red marks on her arm, they were horrible. It looked like i burned her with a hot iron, or something, it looked awful. She went to school, they saw it, she was sent to the nurse's office. she tried to tell them what it was (the night before, after dinner she started having those symptoms, but we don't know what ingredient caused it). The only reason they didn't actually become too suspicious of me is because she had some more of those marks appear while she was at school, at the office.
    I still don't know what caused that, and we haven't seen that since.

But allergies are no joke.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 17, 2012

Nope. No food allergies. I do have gastric rhinitis, which is more annoying than anything. When I eat certain things, I'll get a runny nose and cough. Sometimes I'll sneeze or get a stuffed up nose. I would never eat something that I was truly allergic to. I nearly died from an allergy to penicillin, and I'd taken penicillin my entire life. No way I'd risk something if I thought I had an issue with it.

I am sensitive to sulfates, so I do avoid those. Many dried fruits are preserved with sulfates, and eating them causes me to get hives. That's easy enough to avoid. Testing showed that it's not a true allergy. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, and the doctor says that is why I'm sensitive to the sulfates, but he doesn't think it's anything to be alarmed about.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 17, 2012

I am slightly lactose intolerant, but I'm a trooper about it :)

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 17, 2012

I'm only allergic to medications, but my mom is allergic to MSG (it's used in a lot of foods) but still eats it sometimes. It's hard to avoid, especially at restaurants. She makes sure anything she cooks with doesn't have it, but there are many, many foods that you can't have at all if you're avoiding it, so sometimes she eats it.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2012

A dear friend of mine is allergic to a variety of things, some of which he avoids. One of the things is beer. He's very fond of beer, though... so he drinks it and plans on blowing his nose.

A lot.

And it's a lot of nose to blow.

But it's worth it to him.

16. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

I'm lactose intolerant, but not allergic. I still consume plenty of dairy. I either get the lactose-free version, take lactaid pills, or suffer. I'm trying to cut down because it's not good for my tummy, but I love ice cream! I'm fine with things like yogurt and hard cheese where there's not much lactose, if any.

17. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I don't have allergies but I do have definite body preferences. Some foods will give me headaches, digestive distresses, energy crashes... but I just can't find enough to eat without them because I also have a picky palate. So sometimes I stick to a more optimal diet and feel better, and then I go back to my old eating habits, enjoy my food more, and it takes a week or two of wild energy swings to convince me to go back. I guess much of the time I'm somewhere in between, not as good as I should be but trying as much as I comfortably can to minimize the effects. Sigh. This is a pretty recent development for me so hopefully someday I'll get into a healthy groove and stay there, but for now I'm still having adjustment difficulties.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

I am allergic to tomatoes. I have a swift and severe anaphylactic reaction. By "swift and severe", I mean I have less than two minutes to administer my epi-pen, as I stop breathing within that time frame. Just a few weeks ago I ate a piece of garlic bread that had been contaminated by a little tomato sauce on the hands of the person who had prepared it. I looked like the muffin man within a minute, and was already struggling to breathe in the 30 seconds it took to grab the epi-pen out of my purse. I tend to avoid anything red unless I've personally prepared it, because I can't take the chance that it's a tomato and not a pepper.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2012

Like a lot of people with tree pollen allergies, I can experience allergic reactions to tree fruit, especially when the pollen is already high in the air. My lips and tongue and throat can get itchy. I still eat it unless it gets really bad, but from what I have read, it's extremely rare for anyone to go into anaphylactic shock over their seasonal allergies.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2012

Why risk it? DS is allergic to peanuts. I'm afraid of what will happen if he eats something that he doesn't realize has peanuts in it. His 1st reaction 16 years ago was a severe one. He's had a couple of "mini reactions" since then, when peanut oils have touched his skin. I don't want to know what it will do to his throat.

21. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 20, 2012

I am only allergic to one food -- Kiwi (which I know is a bizarre allergy haha. I haven't found anyone else who's allergic to it!) I only ever tried it once, when I was around 8 years old.

I didn't have a full-fledged anaphylactic reaction, but after just one bite I felt my throat swelling and it was extremely difficult to breathe for a few minutes. So scary! My mom had the phone in her hands ready to dial 911 when the reaction finally stopped. Obviously I haven't had any kiwi since... Don't want to risk something worse!

22. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2012

In college, there was a take out restaurant I LOVED but the food gave me migraines.

I did, on occasion, order their food if I already had a migraine... figured if it was bad already, what could it hurt? ;)

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 20, 2012

Well, I am allergic to cats, but that didn't stop me from keeping one for about 20 years. When she finally passed, and I experienced life without hell of allergies, I decided I wouldn't get another.

I think I might be allergic to dogs too unfortunately. :( And so is my BF.

As for foods, I am mildly lactose intolerant, but still drink at LEAST one glass of whole milk everyday. I tried the lactaid pills, but just decided to live with the gas. xD

24. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

Not allergic, but intolerant. For years I have kept the manufacturers of lactaid pills in business. Now, I'm trying to cut back majorly and doing quite well :). Much easier than I thought it would be.

25. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 20, 2012

My DH is lactose intolerant but he uses the lactaid pills constantly. I don't think he could live without dairy haha.

26. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 21, 2012

I am allergic to bananas and latex. My doc says they go hand in hand, and to beware of other tropical tree fruits from which latex/rubber products are made. I have also developed sensitivities to tomatoes and avocados. I still partake in the eating of guacamole though.

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2012

I'm allergic to dogs but I have one anyways... :D

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2012

I am allergic to latex and sulfa meds. Because of that I'm sensitive to some foods, but I never know which ones will cause me to flare up when. So, I keep some Benadryl with me at all times. My first symptom is always an itchy rash between my thumb and finger, so when I get that, I take some Benadryl.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 21, 2012

I have that latex / sulfa combo as well, but it has yet to manifest itself in a banana allergy. I don't keep them around the house since Rockhubby doesn't eat them, but I indulged in one while visiting my parents. No problems that I noticed.

Rockhubby is EXTREMELY allergic to shellfish and sensitive to soy. He can easily avoid the former, but the latter can be sneaky. Did you know that Entenmann's uses soy flour in their products? Rockhubby found out the hard way when he drowned a bad mood in a box of doughnuts.