Are you a "kind" teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 8, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

Would your students use this as a word to describe you? If yes, what do you do to earn that descriptive adjective?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 8, 2013

I like to think I am. I care for my students, and I wouldn't intentionally be mean to them.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

I genuinely care about the students, their progress, both academically and socially/behaviorally. I use humor and make little jokes with them. I'm also strict, but enforce my behavior plan/discipline calmly and consistently. It's cliché, but I've found that old saying to be true that "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

I hope so. I'm tough, but they know that I care deeply about them.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 8, 2013

Kind and caring, but also tough with the ability to chew on them with love.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 8, 2013

I think I am. I don't talk down to my students. I treat them with respect. If there is a behavior issue, I calmly and privately address it.

8. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 8, 2013

Yep, I am. One of my students said to me last semester, "I hope I'm like you when I get older." I asked what she meant, and she said, "I hope I love MY job." That was nice.

Students can tell I am happy to be there and that I care about them.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

Yes, I get the "kind" descriptor from students.

I'm with Listlady ... I think part of it is being happy to be in the classroom with students. I really can't think of a better place to be for a job.

I'm thoughtful, consistent, understanding.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

I'm not sure kind would be the best word they use. They'd probably say I can be tough but that I truly do care about them and want to see them succeed. I like to think I'm kind too though. I always treat them with respect.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

Yes, I think I am kind but tough. :)

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 8, 2013

"Kind" has not been used to describe me. :)

I've been described as: "strict but fair", "works the kids hard, but hilarious". So I guess I'll take what I can get. :)

13. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 8, 2013

Last year, I wasn't kind. I'm being honest. I think the issue was my pregnancy and gone a lot throughout the four months before I gave birth.

I'm glad you broughy this topic us because I had a looooooot of reflecting to do as a teacher. I wrote a lot of things down in my journal and this was one of the things. Being a kind and cari g teacher and not blowing my top off. I was kind my first year, but my second I just lost it. I am a kind person. I work in a rough (very rough) school, but that's not a reason to not be kind. Anyways I'm just babbling, but this year is a new change for me. :)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

I'd categorize myself as fair, fun, firm.

15. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 8, 2013

Yes, I've always been described as kind hearted and gentle. Being kind is part of my nature, but it doesn't mean I'm a doormat and let the students run over me. I couldn't imagine not being kind towards a child.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Kids have described me as kind...but they also not to mess with me! :lol:

17. melnm

melnm Companion

Aug 8, 2013

Yes, I've always been described that way, in any aspect of life--and nice. :) I just try to treat others the way I want to be treated. That includes children too.

18. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 8, 2013

If you ask my students they will say I am the best teacher they have ever had. Of course they say this about every teacher they have ever had. I am kind to the kids. I try to be consistent in my consequences so the kids always know what to expect. I care for them and they know it. I give hugs. But I am not super sweet. They know not to ask me to go to the nurse unless they are gushing blood or throwing up. They get hurt on the playground and as long as I can tell it is not serious I tell them to sit out and rest or walk it off. I don't coddle. I treat them the same as I treat my own kids.

19. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 8, 2013

It fully depends on which day you ask my students. In the ED room I can go from "Big fat meany-head" to "Favorite Teacher" in the span of an hour.

I genuinely love the kiddos, and I think (hope) they know that. My aides are the same way, so we have a very "Kind" classroom, I hope! :)

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

I don't think a single student would describe me as "kind". They call me "crazy", "fun", "funny", etc. I'm definitely the most strict teacher in the school (we have really easy kids, but I still like them controlled) and I like to joke that I'm mean. If a kid asks for candy and I might say "okay, but don't tell anyone I was nice to you, I'll lose my street cred" :)

21. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 8, 2013

I feel like being kind isn't exclusive from being strict/in control. I guess everyone has a different definition of what kind is though. I definitely won't be seen as a pushover(I hope) but I don't want to be unkind either. :lol:

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 8, 2013

Well, my six year olds say I'm "nice," which could probably be equivalent to the word "kind" in first grade vernacular. :D

I definitely believe you can be kind AND be firm.

23. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I was constantly told I was like a mom last year. Strict, but fair and I "obviously cared about them". It is the type of teacher I was striving to be, so it was nice to hear.

24. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2013

My students would definitely say I am kind. I am also extremely fair, and treat students with the same level of respect that I would like to see displayed toward me. While I am kind, I am also no-nonsense, and don't let my nice personality interfere with my ability to manage a classroom.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

Yes. Kids might say I'm kind because I use a friendly voice (it's amazing how many teachers bark...), but of course it's really more than that.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 8, 2013

Absolutely. When I talk with my students, I make sure I ask about non-school things, such as their families and their jobs (when they're old enough to have one). They know I care about them as people, not just as producers of assignments.

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

Would the kids use the actual word "kind?" Probably not.

28. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 8, 2013

My kids would use the word "kind". I love my job and I love my kids, so I am kind to them. Going to school everyday and not sharing kindness would make me so sad! I feel as if kindness, fairness, and consistency work much better than fear, harshness, and yelling.

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

My kids would say I was kind and would use that word because I do a whole unit on being a kind neighbor. I treat them fairly, I listen, and I respect them.

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

When I used to be a teacher, yes. My students would say that I was nice. Which is funny because I was also very strict. But caring.

Now, with my adult clients, I get the same thing. Many say I'm really nice. But I'm not very strict.... :p I should be.

31. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 9, 2013

I consider myself to be kind. When disciplining them I prefer to be respectful, don't yell or demean. Let it be known I don't like the negative behavior and I know that they can do better etc. I give second chances and allow them a chance to redeem themselves. Try to point out the positive in my students.... sometimes its easy to get caught up in the negative behaviors that they exhibit.

32. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2013

I'm kind. I like my kids. Quite a few, in the overly dramatic fashion of Tweens, have said that I'm the only teacher who really cares about them. But they also know that I can sniff out bull**** faster then you can say the word, and so... I'd say I'm caring, firm, and fair.