Are you a K or 1 teacher familiar with AIMS Web?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 26, 2013

I have a 2nd grader reading on a K level. He can ID around 45 sight words. He is SpEd, and his case manager is working on getting together enough data to have him moved out my classroom. His mother wants this as well. He is just not progressing, and he has many developmental delays that make a regular classroom difficult on him. Emotionally, he's been falling apart. He's been the most heart-wrenching student of my career.

I plan to talk to his case manager about this, but the progress monitoring I am doing on him daily (to get data) is killing him...and me!

He has been doing a CBM on a 1st grade level. He has shown no growth on this. He gets more words incorrect than he does correct, skips lines, guesses words, and on a bad day, simply makes up the story as he goes along. It's akin to asking one of us to read a story in Russian to see how we are progressing. It just isn't working and the data is useless.

My question is, what K assessments (besides letter recognition - he's pretty ok there) might be appropriate for him?

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 26, 2013

What first grade assessments are you using? In general, you don't want to use an assessment if the child isn't at a minimum level to show progress. So, with ORF, you probably wouldn't want to administer passages at a grade level if scores were below 10 or 20, and certainly not if the child is simply randomly guessing at words. Basically, you want to administer the highest level assessment that will still be sensitive to small changes in progress.

At the K level, I would do the DIBELS K level assessments, which I believe would be initial sounds fluency (ISF), phoneme segmentation fluency (PSF), and Nonsense Word Fluency (NWF). Your ISF and PSF are measures of phonemic awareness, and would be appropriate at that age, and NWF would be a measure of decoding. Based on your description that he can read some words, but still struggles significantly on the word reading level, I would continue to use both NWF and your sight word assessment. There are K level ORF passages as well, so I would also move down to that level with ORF and see how he does.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 26, 2013

Aimsweb has the NWF and PSF. I used to use them with my younger students along with the letter id and letter sound id when I taught sped. The thing with NWF in aimsweb though is that they get a "point" for every sound they identify correctly even if they are unable to read any of the "words." So a child could simply sound out every letter (you said he knows his letters), read none of the nonsense words, and still get a high score. For example, if the nonsense word was "nif" and the student was unable to blend the sounds to say "nif" but said the sounds for "n" "i" and "f" they would get full credit for the word. I had a child who couldn't read/blend at all but his scores were looking good because of that little catch, so I had to give him the pre-primer ORF and mark a score of 0 each week just to show that he wasn't actually reading.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 26, 2013

K has an ORF? I thought the lowest was 1st. ORF is oral reading fluency, right?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 26, 2013

AIMSweb does have kindergarten R-CBM passages. I currently use them for progress-monitoring my second and third grade students. I find that many of my students struggle with even the kindergarten passages. Some show progress, some do not. AIMSweb doesn't provide normed scores for the kindergarten level, but it has the passages available under the downloads tab. As Waterfall said, AIMSweb also has many of the DIBELS assessments that EdEd suggested you use. Is your student being moved out of your room completely or just being pulled out for resource?

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 26, 2013

We are working to have him moved out of my room entirely. He's already "Maxed out" in resource and I see him for about 40 mins a day plus morning work, lunch and specials.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 26, 2013

They've actually added a way to score whole words decoded correctly and fluently.

9. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jan 26, 2013

Do you have to progress monitor him daily? That can't be helping him gain any confidence at all. I would think switching to weekly would be better you both. I PM my lowest readers every 2 weeks and even then I don't always see growth. While the passages are supposed to be the same level of difficulty, some are just harder depending on the child.

I have also started using the probes as centers so my students are more comfortable with them. This is especially useful for NWF, PSF and LNF but I do it with R-CBM too and have them time each other.

10. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 26, 2013

I'm assuming you're doing this with old probes you've already used or aren't going to use with those kids? :)

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 27, 2013

Yes, I have to monitor him daily, and it wasn't me that decided to use a 1st grade CMB. I'm sure I can have it changed, that's just what I was told to do. I need to let his CM know how much it is stressful for him.

It sounds like the best course for action would be to switch to a K CBM (or maybe it's called ORF?) and either an ISF, NSF, or ISF, alternating between the two perhaps.

12. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 27, 2013

You probably wouldn't want to alternate as you'd want a consistent type of measurement each time, but yes - those look like good places to start. ORF just stands for oral reading fluency, so that's the passage reading component. I would consider using first grade probes for nwf, psf, and isf, but dropping to k passages for orf. The basic rule is monitor at the highest level possible that will still be sensitive to small changes. And I think weekly makes the most sense.

13. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jan 27, 2013

Yes! I use ones I'm not going to use with the kids. And for reading fluency I often use a grade below.