Are you a HOARDER?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecialPreskoo, Aug 12, 2011.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 12, 2011

Hi. My name is SpecialPreskoo and I'm a hoarder!

I love the "free to a good home" things people set out, esp. book shelves. I snatched up one this morning as a matter of fact and another Monday.

I snagged some chart posters (like for attendence, etc.) from the elementary school. I couldn't use them but I saved them for whoever else in our build that might. The alternative school teacher got them.

Other snags... good bulletin board decor... a white picket fence, laminated and never trimmed up. I used to have the same thing but it got torned up over time.

Oh, going back to bookshelves. I got a NICE one (older but nice to me) that has the staggered shelves for front face book display. It has sliding doors on the back to hide storage under the books and they had painted Lion King scenes and characters on it. I think it is my favorite snag.

What are your favorite things to hoard... I mean snag. LOL

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 12, 2011

I'm a collector of storage containers and books, mostly. I think they almost had to give the fire marshall oxygen after he saw my closet. I hauled a while truck load of stuff to my garage at home. I have baskets and boxes and letter trays and bins and crates. I also snag books. Anytime a teacher retires, I get stuff.

I'm super organized, so it really doesn't look like I have that much stuff. At least I keep telling myself that.

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

:yeahthat: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

My janitor is pretty vocal about my 'stuff' to the other janitors. She even told me once that I had a lot of stuff. I do, but I think it is mostly all well contained (except when I'm in a super busy time and slack off on filing).

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 12, 2011

I like using shorter shelves for dividers... section off areas for centers or whatnot.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2011

To some extent, but it's REALLY necessary stuff! I know, that's what all classic hoarders say! But really, I have a lot of papers: Worksheets, old college course notes/papers, papers from student teaching days. I need a full-sized metal file cabinet at home for all this.

I am a clothes horse...tons & tons of clothes. They're either in: 1 of 2 stuffed closets in which there's 2-3 articles of clothing on ea hanger, in a garbage bag of things to go to the cleaners, in the hamper, folded in drawers, or in 1 of a few garbage bags of seldomyl worn clothes (due to off season, etc.)

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 12, 2011

I used to be a thrift store children's book hoarder. That is where the majority of my books came from. Nice ones dirt cheap.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

I really try not to be a hoarder, but I hate throwing out old lesson materials and student work that I have saved. For example, today I was at school going through a drawer in my classroom, and found some transparencies, worksheets, and copies of student work that I literally have not touched since 2002 when I started using a different textbok. You will be happy to know that I threw it all out, though!

I am the same way when I modify computer files of assignments and tests. Rather than deleting the old file from the previous year, I just put the current year in the file name in case I want to use the old one again. Weird, I know!

The funny thing is that people always comment on how organized I am!

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2011

That's why I became a teacher, to hold onto a big room to stash cute stuff in!

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

I am the anti hoarder! I toss everything I haven't touched in six months.

I had some 'splainin to do last year because someone put this basket of cut out papers on my desk. I tossed it. Turns out it was for a new incentive program my P was starting. Oops!

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

I hoard posters and workbooks. I now have more crap than can possibly cover four classroom walls, and yet I still keep obtaining more. Why? I have no idea.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

I'm getting better about that-especially after having to change rooms twice in 2 years. I've tossed a lot of stuff rather than pack it. Materials are so expensive I think it's instinctual for teachers to grab something when it's free!

My problem is keeping junk that could be used for a project "someday". When I cleaned out my garage I found all these boxes of straws and empty laundry detergent bottles, etc. :|

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

Yes, I'm a hoarder. Someone offers me something that I could possibly use, I take it.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

My name is Christy and I'm a poster hoarder. I have a bulletin board cart with 8 wide, shallow drawers. I don't keep bulletin board sets (I don't buy those) I keep posters in there. Free posters, Argus posters (I have a ton of these!), just any kind of poster! I am also terrible about not wanting to get rid of something that I think another teacher can use. I did a huge purge this year. Several full size tables in the workroom were completely covered. I told my principal that it was a mind thing - I need to feel like it's going to a good home. If they toss it, I just don't want to know! lol

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

In the past 2 days, I have put a stack of paper over a foot high into the recycling pile--and that's just a start here at home. I started a big purge at school (I'll be sharing a room this coming year and need to make room for someone else and her stuff!), and need to continue it here at home. If I haven't used it in the past couple of years, it's going.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

That's me, too! I used to hoard, but when I switched schools several years ago and moved to a tiny classroom, something had to change. It was so liberating!

I have, once or twice, tossed something I needed like you mentioned above. LOL. I've learned my lesson well, though, and I keep all of my handouts for the year from all of the meetings carefully filed. I do toss them at the end of the year, though! :)

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 13, 2011

My name is pwhatley, and I am definitely a hoarder...
    • of ideas for my classroom - thankfully, I save (most of) them on my computer!
    • office supplies - I'm addicted!
    • techno-gadgets - Okay, I have a two-fold diagnosis - I'm also a technogeek!
    • you should see my pantry - I can't buy less than 2 of any canned/dry good
    • I used to be a clothes horse (and probably will be again) until I dropped 45 lbs and had to get rid of everything!
    • anything organizational - bins, baskets, drawers, you name it - the custodians hate it!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

Like Kinder, I horde "stuff that might be useful." I'm forever needing cardboard TP and paper towel tubes, so they always just sit in the bathroom since I'm too lazy to actually go put them in my school bag or on the pile. BF always comes over and wants to know why they're thee. "They're going to school," I say. "Then TAKE THEM THERE." yeah, yeah. Those and lids from milk jugs, pop bottles, juice caps, etc.

And boxes. I've moved either myself or my classroom enough in the past couple years that I just collapse them and hold onto them. Although the usually fit behind other furniture, it's bad. :)

And kid's books. And "Stuff" in general.

But I'm trying to at least have it more organized... that's a start, right???

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

I am in general a compulsive get rid of-er. But, there are things I certainly like to keep...like books. I have a lot of books. Someday, I will be brave enough to toss old lessons from old curriculum. I just can't do that yet.

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

I am a total hoarder. I hoard office supplies and things from the dollar spot at Target. I moved classrooms this year and discovered that I have entire boxes now of post-its, pens and other little office supply things.

Once I am allowed in my classroom, these things are going into the free pile or back to the supply room!

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

I had a high school senior service student this spring....she helped me get really organized!:love: I moved classrooms/grade level last summer and kind of had thrown 8 years of accumulated 'stuff' in my new classroom closets. I really didn't have a grip on exactly where things were and when the school year started I didn't have time to reorganize...the senior went thru EVERY closet, put supplies in labeled bins, threw things out (with my ok)...truly awesome.
    I go thru similar purges in my house...this summer, I made several bags of clothes I didn't want anymore and took them down to the goodwill boxes. I actually love getting rid of stuff that's piled up!:D

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

Oooooooh workbooks Yeah, I try to find new workbooks for handwriting and such. I know, I know... preschoolers shouldn't do worksheets but the K teachers want them to be able to write. I keep anything preschool workbook related... When you have some for up to 3 years in your class depending on their age and when you got them, you need lots of options!

I also have a stash of those novelty notepads for bulletin boards and whatever. LOL Got a theme? I got the notepad.

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

Yeah, I have a gmail account FULL of preschool lesson ideas. And somewhere I have some from a yahoo group I was on. That might be the same bunch. THey would have a theme a week, people contributed ideas and the mods would throw it together in a lesson. If you contributed they emailed you the lesson.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

Oh, now we did a major purge back in the spring. You would be proud of me... LOL But I like having OPTIONS... LOL

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

My name is swansong...and I am also an office supply hoarder. Penny sales at the office supply store are the most exciting things I do all summer :lol: You never know when an office item will be needed. I think I began gathering office supplies when I began teaching SPED in a low socioeconomic school and my children couldn't bring in supplies. I just started collecting and ended up with tons of stuff. When I moved this summer I gave most of it away because I thought I was retiring. Turns out I wasn't ...so...back to the penny sales I went :whistle:
    I have SOOOOO much storage space in my new room :woot:

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2011

I am a worksheet hoarder. I have tons of worksheets. Piles. Folders. Files. Binders. Guys, I have stuff from a mimeograph.

Irony: I really only use worksheets a few times a year - mostly for the beginning of my poetry-writing unit.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Maybe I should send you all of the papers I set aside for recycling? Most of that is worksheets! :whistle:

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2011

Heh heh... I am going to force myself to clean it out tomorrow. I swear. Tomorrow. For real ;)

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Sure you will; that's how you got here in the first place!

30. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

Mine would have to be books! I cannot get enough of them. Considering I'm just beginning to build my classroom library as I'm going into my second year.

I find books at thrift stores, Ed McKays, donors choose, books are given to me. Everywhere... this Friday I asked my co-teacher to help me organize them. So I can't wait to see what they will look like once I return to school on Monday!

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 13, 2011

Did I mention flash drives? I swear I think I have 8! Also books, PD books, adult pleasure reading books, children's books, you name it. Oh, and e-memberships - Edhelper, TeacherFileBox, TeacherVision, and Mailbox's Teacher's Helper! I swear, I'm not gonna renew them all this year.... honestly....

32. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2011

Which one of those e-memberships did you like the most? I like TeacherFileBox but it's so hard to find materials. I don't think I'm renewing.

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 14, 2011

I am a minimalist but somehow there is always plenty of "stuff" to get rid of. I love getting rid of things and having everything neat and in its place! One place I don't worry about, though, is the computer. I am always searching for something that I remember and could use, but I only remember one or two keywords, and voila! "Search" is my best friend. Email is the same way for me.

My pet peeve is paper handed out at staff development or even staff meetings. I can't "command+F" if it's on a dusty sheet of paper somewhere! I've spent whole sessions typing notes. Ugh.

34. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2011

One of our "new" first grade teachers was cleaning out the closet in the room she moved to. She put tons of stuff on the give away table. Every time I walk into the teachers lounge I go through it and find something that I might need. Finally I had to have an intervention. One of my teacher friends told me to get out of the lounge and they wouldn't let me back in.

35. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 14, 2011

GAAAAAAAA, I wish you could have sent them to me! William is a "junk" artist. I'm constantly finding "sculptures" made from the stuff he hauls out of my trash. The latest is a pontoon style sailboat made from Diet Coke cans, straws and an old wash rag, put together with hot glue. The kid nearly always is doing something with the hot glue gun.

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 14, 2011

Since I'm always the very last person to get supplies, I do tend to hoard. I'm kind of paranoid that I'm not going to have any supplies!

37. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 14, 2011

I'm the same way.

38. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 14, 2011

Just books. Out grown my shelf space, but still collecting books.

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2011

I got rid of THREE BINDERS today!

(We won't talk about the other six I just shoved in a cupboard, OK? :))

40. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2011

I am such a thrower. I love throwing stuff out, and giving things to other teachers who could use them. I just finished setting up my new classroom, and it looks so bare. However, I still feel like I have too much stuff!

41. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

I definitely have some hoarding tendencies :eek:hmy: but I am slowly getting better. I am such a sucker for the penny school supply sales!