Are you a grade level/department chair?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 2, 2010

I'm not, and I sure am glad I'm not! At my last school the chair had a TON of extra responsibilities. At my current school, it's not so bad. But it's still a lot of extra hassle for no extra pay!

3. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2010

I'm a grade level chair and have been 6 years in the past. Since I enjoy being a leader, I see it as an opportunity to grow and try to help those around me grow, but if leadership wasn't in my genes, I would probably not want to do it! It would be nice if some additional pay went with it!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2010

We do offer some additional pay, but not enough for the extra work. I don't think that it is something I would ever want to do.

5. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

I am a grade level chair, and in addition to the (small) pay differential, we are also exempt from yard duty. These small "perqs" help compensate for the extra workload.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2010

I like to call myself the 6th grade department chair.

Of course, there is only one 6th grade teacher-me-so I am THE department! :D

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

At our school, the grade level chair gets an extra $700 at the end of the year. To me, it's not worth all the headache! Plus, we have a really anal P who is VERY VERY condesending and demanding and whenever she has an issue with a grade level's test scores, she yells at the chairs and demands to know why the scores aren't higher, or why the kids are tardy, etc.

Also, my chair has to sit through weekly School Improvement Meetings for about an hour and a half after school, write the grade level newsletter, be our office liasion, pass information along to us, etc.

The only perk is that she gets to go to professional developments A LOT whereas we regular teachers don't

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 2, 2010

I'm the AP for Academics and the District Social Studies chair. I, however, only teach two courses a day, and (even when I was not an AP) got a substantive pay raise for being Department Chair.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

Seriously?! You must teach at the high school level. Elementary chair's have the exact same schedule as teachers, but WAAAAAAAAY more responsiblity which really isnt fair when you think about it because teaching by itself is quite hard.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2010

I wouldn't even consider that a perk because then you would have to write more sub plans!!

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

That's a good point, but I still would like to have an option. It would be nice if we could parcel out the PD, like the chair goes to some, maybe I get to go to one, and the other teammates do the same.

Or if they let us go in pairs.

I like some PD's especially those that are technology or reading related.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 2, 2010

I am, and most of the time I don't mind it. In most cases, I'd rather be in charge thn wait around for someone else to tell me what to do.

Department chair is not a paid position, and in the past few years it was a pain in the butt because people want to beat the same dead horse and derail my meetings with crap we could do another time. I tried to resign, and they wouldn't let me. (Seriously!) So, I'm still at it. I've grown a pair of "lady balls", and I'm doing much better in my capacity. :lol:

It's not a paid position, though. Someone I ended up being writing team leader, department chair, team leader, and school council member. Then I got added to a leadership team. I would be nice for there to be more people involved in leadership roles, but the same few people seem to be the ones who end up in those roles.

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

How can they not pay you for being a department chair?:eek: Does the Union know? It is more responsiblity, accountablity and work. That just doesn't seem right to me

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 2, 2010

Being a coach is pretty much the only way there is any extra pay in addition to the regular salary.

No union involved.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

:(Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, BUT you're right -- sometimes it's better to be the one telling everyone what to do as opposed to sitting around waiting to be told.

Unfortunately, I am not comfortable/confident enough in my leadership abilities yet to lead a team. :eek:hmy:

16. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 2, 2010

I am dept chair, have tried to resign and somehow it measly accepted. Of course, the school knows my family comes first and foremost. I'm still on Thanksgiving break as we had "family" plans. Except for one member of our team, everyone is fantastic. We didn't hire tge one,she was "assigned" to us and wasn't happy about it and still isn't. My position cones with an extra $1000.00 plus some extra for simmer training which I "allow" others in tge dept to attend. Not too much extra work, listen to others vent, and handle parents if necessary.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 3, 2010

I'm the Social Studies Department Chair for the District which means I am responsible for curriculum from K-12 and teacher evaluations and supervision for SS teachers in 6-12. I meet with each grade level weekly and I observe all teachers monthly; newer teachers more often. I also run monthly department meetings at the MS and HS. Then in my spare time my meet with the Elementary School teachers and help them plan curriculum.

On top of this I oversee Academics and I am the teacher supervisor for the whole HS. I am in charge of testing, grades, curriculum oversight for the whole school.

18. TechGuy

TechGuy Rookie

Dec 3, 2010

I would never take the extra responsibility for no big pay increase. After taxes and so on, a $700 bonus on top of the regular salary really isn't much

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 3, 2010

I'm not a team leader but I can tell I'm being groomed to take over when the current one retires. Thankfully, she's promised to not retire as long as I promise to not go into Administration as a trainee.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

I was math department chair before I quit to be a SAHM. I was in charge of a department of 14-- now it's up to over 20.

In my school, it DOES come with an extra stipend. And I enjoyed working with the members of my department; we've always gotten along really well, so it wasn't much of a hassle.

I had to observe each teacher (new teachers a LOT) set up/ change the syllabus, do year end evaluations, and basically act as a gobetween from teachers to administration, and between teachers and parents if necessary.

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2010

I'm the grade chair. It is a extra work, but most of it is stuff I'd be doing for myself anyway, so I might as well share with the whole team :) The only big change is dealing with RtI - we're just implementing it this year, so there's a lot of questions and research involved. I get a nice stipend split out among each paycheck, so no complaints there.

22. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

Im the Middle School lead and its just a paper pusher job, meeting organizer and no I do not get paid extra. I get a stipend for Student Council but thats it. Its more work but for the most part I have a great team!

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I am the grade level leader; no there is not extra pay, but the responsibility does come back to you. The actual work load I don't believe is that much more. We are meant to do things together, when we don't then the responsibility does fall back on me. Usually it all does get done as a team though. The bad part is, doing it all as a team can be a royal pain the ass.

24. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

Never have been for the same reason you posted...tons of extra work for a tiny stipend! No thanks!

25. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

I am technically grade level chair in my building, but there are only 2 of us, so it's really just a title with very little responsibility involved.

I am also the school's Science Liaision this year, which I guess is the elementary school version of department chair. I have to drive an hour from my school to meetings every other month-- that take place after school hours. And of course there is no stipend for the position.

26. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

I know some people are complaining about a $700 stipend, but I was my grade level lead last year and I didn't have a single perk. If I got that small $700 stipend, I would have been WAY happier doing it. It was a lot of work and responsibility... especially since out of six teachers, no one even had a full year of teaching that grade. Luckily a teammate of mine took the job this year so that I wouldn't have to do it again, and the team is doing a better job of sharing the responsibilities so that it doesn't all fall on one person anymore.