Are You a Cat or a Dog Person?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 26, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2010

Many of us love our animals, but we may lean more towards a certain type. Which type are you? Or are you more of a bird or reptile type?

I've had two cats before & they were nice (also rabbits, a bird, & tons of fish, even hermit crabs) but I've had some dogs in my life & I'm such a dog person. Cats are known to be more aloof, but I like the interactiveness of a dog. I don't see myself ever having another cat, but dogs, yes.

The dog I have now is my 1st one I got as an adult (meaning me, I got the dog as a puppy) & he's also strictly indoors.

3. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

I wish there was a kitty who stayed a little kitty--like a Yorkie breed for cats. But, I'll have to say, I'm a dog person!

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 26, 2010

It's called the Singapura. They stay kitten size forever and are super cute!!!

5. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 26, 2010

I've had dogs, cats, and fish. I love my dog (and the one I had before) but they stay outside so I spend more time with my cat. So I guess I'm more of a cat person.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

I am a dog person to my soul. More than a people person even. If I go to someone's house for the first time, like with my boyfrined or something, I can be a little shy and it will feel awkward and I can be quiet. But if they have a dog, I will be rolling around on the floor with it in minutes.

I love animals, though. I have only had cats in my adult life because I don't really think apartment living is fair to dogs. I LOVE MY cat, but I wouldn't really say I am a cat person, although I do have a feeling that I will be a crazy cat lady someday. Strays seems to find me.

I really want a dog now that we have our house but BF is definitely more of a cat person than a dog person. So I have convincing to do. I told him the other day it was a dog or a baby. lol.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 26, 2010

Cats are OK, but I love dogs. But I am also very allergic to cats.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2010

Dogs...

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

I am definitely a cat person. I have had some great dogs but in our house dogs live outside and cats live inside.

10. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

May 26, 2010

I am both a dog AND cat person...

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 26, 2010

Dogs. Hands down

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2010

If you can't convince him, can't you each have the pet you want?

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2010

I am both. I've had my cat since college and he's my little baby. I love him in such a different way than I love my dog.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2010

I am crazy about almost all animals (not big on snakes). I've adored all of my pets pretty much equally. But, I don't ever see my husband and I NOT having a dog in the house. So, I guess we are dog people.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 26, 2010

I :wub: my DOG!

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 26, 2010

I was a cat person all my life - could not "get it" why anyone would want a smelly, waggly, wet-nosed creature jumping all around. Then we got our little girl a dog and I fell in love! Doggie is now almost 15 and I will never again be a cat person. But I have discussed it with doggie and we both agree that once she goes on, I will need a puppy right away. :)

Oh, and for all of you out there who are or soon will be "empty nesters," a new doggie really takes a lot of the sting out of that transition!

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 26, 2010

I'm a dog person. I also love big dogs, although the small ones are fine, too. I just like big dogs. My dog died the first day of the last school year. He was 14 and had a stroke, so he had to be put to sleep. He was a shepherd mix. DH has a husky mix that lives on the farm. She's sweet, but I don't see her much since she's not here at the house. She's DH's shadow. I think he likes the dog more than he likes me. :lol:

I like cats well enough, but I'm severely allergic. I couldn't have one. I'm also allergic to dogs, but the dogs stay outside. I'm not as allergic to them.

18. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

DOGS

I am scared of cats ....

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 26, 2010

My last dog was mixed -- german shephard/lab. I absolutely loved her, even though she was a coward, lol.

I am not a fan of cats, although I could tolerate them for a hour or so...

20. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

May 26, 2010

I'm a cat person but I have a dog. I love her so much. Sometimes, she even acts like a cat because she can be stubborn sometimes.
    In the future, I hope to have a cat.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 26, 2010

Cats! I love cats, and I would happily be the crazy cat lady! However, I have a 1 year old dog, so she's kind of taken over my house...

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

I love cats, but I've also had some wonderful dogs in my life. (A shout out to Jack, Yogi, Charles, and Grrzelda--best dogs a cat person could ever love)

23. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

I like dogs and we always had them when I was a kid, but as an adult I became a full-blown cat lover. My first two lived to be 18 and the present pair are 15. I plan to be a crazy cat lady when I retire...

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 26, 2010

Dog

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 26, 2010

After reviewing my avatar, I'll let you guess :lol:

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2010

I am owned by a large, opinionated cat, but would love a dog, too. I live in a rent house right off a 4 lane road (with a 65 mph speed limit). The yard isn't fenced. There's no way I would get a dog here. I'm looking at places to buy, one of the first things that will go in is a fence. Until then, I let Lizzie boss me around.

[​IMG]

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 26, 2010

I love dogs and gray kittens. :)

ETA: Well, I love all living creatures, but I have a special place in my heart for dogs and gray kittens.

28. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 27, 2010

I have had both, and I prefer cats. I currently have 1 stupid cat, and wouldn't have her any other way. She was suppose to be my cat, but feel head over heels in love with my husband.

We had a dog when our kids were little, and when he passed away we didn't want another. We both enjoy dogs, but felt we don't have the time they deserve. Maybe in a few years.

29. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 27, 2010

I love both, have had some wonderful "friends". Right now the house is run by 4 very pampered fat cats, 3 are rescued from dumpsters. I would love another dog, but don't feel like I have the time to put into a puppy right now. I would want to be home with it, kinda like when you have a baby! :p

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2010

Well, for those who want a dog, the beginning of summer's the time to get your puppies so you can be home w/ them for the first few mos, train, etc. :)

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 27, 2010

I always thought I was a dog person until I got a cat and saw how easy they were- plus how clean they are! No rolling in mud, no slobbering everywhere, etc...

Right this minute, I like dogs, LOL. My cat has been awful lately! She has been shredding toilet paper like crazy- even on the roll. I put it up (which is annoying!) and she has managed to get it. I don't know what to do. Her litter box is in my bathroom so I can't lock her out! Grrrr!!

32. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 27, 2010

I also have a dumb cat. Seriously, I don't think he's very bright. He's terrified of garbage bags, forgets where the cat door is, and sits in the kitchen and calls for people to come get him. I never realized that cats can also run the gamut of intelligence--from gifted to "special needs".

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 27, 2010

I love the sense of entitlment cats have. I can have tests, gradebook, remote, and laptop in my lap and she'll still find a way to get up there, then give me The Look until I move stuff so she can lay down. lol It's interesting being owned by a cat.
    Growing up I always had cats and dogs, but outside. We lived in the country. I had Duke, a border collie for most of my childhood. He was my best friend. Tyke, my cat, lived for 18 years (with 2 trips to the vet, one to get fixed and one to get the stitches out). My dad was the one who always said they belonged outside, then about 7 years ago my mom got him a chihuahua (she was a nurse at the time and a coworker was getting rid of him). Daddy loved that little dog like crazy. He just passed away this year and my dad took it a lot harder than he expected.

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 27, 2010

My Dog, DeeOhGee (pronounced D O G) jumped off the couch and hurt her leg my DIL, Samantha, a Navy corpsman, is taking care of her. DeeOhGee is hopping around on three legs.

I was driving back from Florida when my son called me I almost had to pull off the road I was so upset.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 27, 2010

I want to be the man my dog thinks I am
    I must be a good hunter since I provide food
    I must be a good digger since I provide water
    I must be a good nester since I provide a nice bed
    I must be a good listener because I can tell what her different kinds of barks mean
    I am a great protector I chase away big dogs that scare her
    I must be clairvoyant since I know when she needs her tummy rubbed

[​IMG]
    Now my dog, she is great
    Her parents will never visit me.
    She loves me when I leave my clothes on the floor.
    She limits her time in the bathroom to a quick drink.
    She never expects me to telephone.
    She will not get mad at me if I forget her birthday.
    She does not care about the previous dogs in my life.
    She does not get mad at me if I pet another dog.
    She never expects flowers on Valentine's Day.
    The later I am, the happier she is to see me.
    She listens to every word I say without giving her opinion
    She does not shop.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 27, 2010

Cat (clean and easy) but I also love dogs, just can't stand leaving one alone all day when we go to work, so stick with my two cats. Two is my limit. The cat on my avatar thinks he is a dog.:rolleyes:

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 27, 2010

LOL it's not possible to read a newspaper and very often my red cat stands in front of the screen when I'm typing on the computer ... so I "have" to look at him and love him up.:lol: