Are we the lowest paid degreed employees?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Jun 27, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

One of the schools I worked at displays a chart that shows the average annual wages for different levels of educational attainment.

Its graph shows that the average high school dropout earns an average of just over $23,000 annually.

Yet subs need a bachelor's degree, and most of us probably earn in the $20,000/year range.
    The discrepency between ourselves and high school dropouts is probably even greater since I suppose most high school dropouts get benefits.

Are we the lowest paid employees that require a bachelor's degree?

If not, what is lower?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Not all districts require a bachelors degree.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2011

oldstudent, I wouldn't be surprised. To substitute, a BA/BS is certainly mandatory in my state, as in MOST states I assume, so yes, it's a sad state of affairs to know that we may get paid less than many fast food workers (if they work a good amt of hrs a week, that is.) :mad: But, we can't expect much from an on-call job...unless of course you're a dr or surgeon who works on call for example.

If only subbing wasn't just on an on-call basis, I'd be REGULARLY mkg a stable $18-20/hr. (I just wanted to state my calculated pay by the hr this time.) But we still don't get benefits, so the cost of that has to come out of our pay.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2011

My district requires 24 hours of college credit.

We make lists of the subs we think are literate and they get called often. I know that sounds ugly, but we have many subs who either can't or won't read sub plans.

6. The Maestro

The Maestro Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

You know, that might explain why I was always called in when I subbed years ago. I made it a habit to draw a map of the class with the kids names written in them, then wrote somewhat detailed notes on each of them so the teacher could reward or punish as they saw fit when they came back. I guess they knew I could write! :eek:

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 2, 2011

Yes, it sounds bad, but I'd rather focus on the positive than the negative. If you think about it, no, we don't make much as an overall income (I have a master's degree + teaching credential, about to finish my second credential), but if you break it up per hour spent at the school it's about $17 / hour, and if you break it up per hours actually worked (deduct the prep and lunch), it can be as much as $24 / hour. That's not so bad.

At least I have a job. I know plenty of people who have their masters degree, and are still working regular jobs for $10-15 / hour because no one is hiring in their field, or the competition is tough.

Right now I'm subbing for the juvenile community court schools - it's amazing how the resources are different at these schools. I typically have no more than 15 students, and I have a TA, the entire time. I am often working only 4-5 hours, and that includes a 15 min snack time, AND a 20-30 minute lunch break! And the majority of the time is spent with independent study, so i really don't have much to do. This is still considered full day, so I get full pay. One day it was a minimum day, so my "full day" lasted from 8-10:30 am :)) Some places have probation officers outside the door, so the students are well behaved, because they don't want to get sent out. At one place I also had a special ed teacher with me for 2 period, in addition to the TA and in addition to the 3 POs sitting right outside the door.
    So now, I'm usually getting paid $25 / hour, and it's much easier work than traditional schools.

So I'm not complaining, I'm very happy for now :))

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2011

When I first got out of college, I began subbing at a community court school too. While intimidating at first, I learned how contained they are, guards were right outside, the walls were made out of some sort of plexiglass?? so they were see through, there were cameras, so I felt happy subbing in that environment. And the pay was nice too, very nice.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 2, 2011

I'm starting to think that is where the jobs are! It is often said how the jails spend thousands of $$ / inmate / year, and schools only have the budget of hundreds of $ / student / year. These schools definitely have $. Every single classroom has a smart board - up until now, out of 5 months, I have only seen a smart board in 1 classroom, and clickers in 2, at the regular schools. And like I said low student : teacher ratio, TAs, supplies, computers, etc.

The only problem here, (a problem for me right now) is that they only hire from the inside, so if they have a job available, you can't just apply. However, they have long term sub positions, with which you make a lot more money and receive benefits - those are eligible to apply, and only after that regular subs and outsiders.
    Right now there are about 10 openings, so I'm going to wait to see what happens, and hopefully something is left over for me. A few are at minimum security and maximum security facilities, and I was told not too many people want to go there - I do :))