Are we lost without technology?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swansong1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2016

I think chalk-holders are still to be found - I haven't worked a room with a chalkboard in years, but I still own one, somewhere - and of course there's wrapping the chalk in tissue or a bit of paper towel or even a band of paper, like a crayon.

2. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Aug 27, 2016

I really enjoyed going through each and every comment but there is something which haunts me all the time. While we are talking about smart boards, chrome books etc etc.. what about those who do not have the basic facilities like a chalk board? What are we doing about them?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2016

http://www.ideapaint.com/

[​IMG]
    Dry erase paint?! I LEGIT want this SO BAD! If I could just cover the walls in it and turn it into a white board, I wouldn't need anything else.
    Though one first grade teacher I observed just let her kids write on the desk and then handed them a cleaning wipe afterward. The principal was there. She said, "We write on the desks in first grade." Without skipping a beat, K responded, "I love it!" She was a good principal... then she resigned to take a job for more money.

Backroads, ms.irene and yellowdaisies like this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 27, 2016

You can write on windows too for the most part. Just make sure you erase it immediately after otherwise they get stained.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2016

OOPS! That was a permanent marker! ;) :rofl:
    That would totally happen!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 27, 2016

Boy, does this bring back memories of my 11th grade history teacher. He always wrapped the chalk in paper. Did anyone use a mimeograph machine or a reel to reel projector to show movies? Hi Tech for me when I started teaching was the over head projector.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2016

I learned how to use both in teacher's college!

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 27, 2016

We all have a partial wall of this in my new school! We haven't actually gotten to use it yet, though, because we're waiting on the special markers, erasers, and spray we have to use with it. I'm excited, though!

9. Julie_W

Julie_W Guest

Sep 15, 2016

I think technology in the classroom can be seen as something that can enhance the learning experience and add to it rather than replace all traditional methods. I wasn't even fully aware of all the tools and apps that were available to me while I was teaching or how difficult/easy they would be to implement. However, I have recently started working for a company that have created free education apps for the classroom. Really wish I had known about this when I was teaching as they are really great for engaging students and getting them to participate! But again, I would say these kind of apps work better for certain situations e.g. as a warm-up at the beginning of the class or prompting discussions to see what the students already know.

If you're interested in checking out this particular tool, I have included the link here: https://spiral.ac/r/forum

Would be genuinely interested to get some feedback from other teachers on whether they think this could work in their classroom and if they think it would be something they could use?

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 15, 2016

I saw another teacher writing on the desks, and I do it, too! The kids are engaged, we're not bothering with other stuff, and we clean regularly.

11. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Sep 15, 2016

This video explains a lot...NO, technology is probably NOT going to "save" the world. Chalkboards can be just as effective as iPads when students are actively engaging their own minds.