Are verbal contracts binding in PA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach55, Mar 28, 2015.

1. teach55

teach55 New Member

Mar 28, 2015

Hi...I was recently verbal told my interest in filling an open AP position (I have a witness to this confirmation) staring the next school year was definitely accepted and that I should go ahead and start planning (this includes packing up my current classroom to move to a new location). I took my administrators word and started the planning process (summer work, etc needed to be distributed to the students). Then about a week ago I was told there was a change in plans and I would not be teaching AP (someone else would be, they have been a teacher longer than me) next year after all. To date I have still not been given an understandable reason for the change. Was the verbal confirmation that AP was mine next year contractually binding in PA???
    Let me know what you know, thanks...

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

Unless it's in writing, I don't think you have any real protection. Principals can put teachers wherever they are needed.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

It's not binding - the needs change - and it isn't near the end of the year yet, so maybe the pendulum will swing in your favor once more?

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 28, 2015

It could be binding but only if they also stated specifics such as start date and salary.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 28, 2015

I've seen people switched two days before school started. My contract states subject to assignment. Check your contract.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2015

Well...

First, written contracts ARE "verbal" -- verbal means "using words".

Sorry, pet peeve....

Generally, oral contracts (I.e., ,spoken) are enforceable, but not if they fall into a number of conditions, such as being over $500 or taking more than one year to fulfill. Hopefully your salary would be a little higher :). This means essentially, unless there's a specific law requiring contracts of this type to be upheld in your state (unlikely), the oral contract is not enforceable.

I do notice, however, that you mention you have started the process of preparing. While the contract itself may not be enforceable, you may have a cause of action against them for the preparation they induced you to undertake. I'm unclear if you're asking because you really want to force the school into something or you're just curious, so I can't suggest whether it would be a good idea or not.for that you would need to talk to a contract t or employment lawyer in your state to see what could reasonably be expected.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2015

Most teaching contracts stipulate a location of employment and perhaps a general content area ("English", "Foreign Language", etc.), but they don't usually specify specific sections and courses. What does your contract say?

I don't think you have a case here. If you pursue action against your principal, you may be setting yourself up for a lot of trouble in the future and a reputation as a troublemaker.

It is frustrating to change plans, but it happens; in the world of education, it happens a lot. I once had a class, an entirely different subject area, thrown at me 10 minutes before classes began on the first day of school. I wasn't super psyched about that, but I handled it. You will handle this change, too. Maybe you can use this year to learn more about AP, go to an AP Institute and a few seminars, and beef up your skills and resume so that they can't possibly pass you over next year.