Are these books still taught?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Speechy, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 11, 2011

In elementary school (many many moons ago) my teachers read books like Ramona Quimby and Nothing's Fair In Fourth Grade (all the Fudge books). I loved them so much and bought some a while back at Barnes and Noble. Also a huge fan of the "Wayside School" series.

Are these books still taught in elementary? They are a bit older but I think even kids now can still enjoy them.

Silly question but I'm just curious. I've peeked around in nearby classrooms at my school and don't see them.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 11, 2011

I would definitely use them if I had access to them! We have a multiple copies book room so I use what's in there. I use The Littles series a lot with one of my groups and they LOVE them. I read some of those books when I was in elementary, and I don't believe they were new then, haha.

4. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 11, 2011

I know! It seems like they've been around forever.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 11, 2011

I loved those books. Also, the Boxcar Children!

6. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 11, 2011

WOW. I had forgotten about those! Those were never in the school curriculum but I read them on my own.

I thought it would be so cool to live in a box car. Looking back it sounds awful hah.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2011

They are all popular in the school library...there are usually a few kids every year who will look for them and then other kids will want them bc they saw their friends reading it.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 12, 2011

I teach 4th graders and read aloud at least one Beverly Cleary each year. The kids love Fudge, also, but I don't read any in class.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 12, 2011

The Ramona series is popular with a few students (mostly girls), but less than they use to be. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge are still well liked. Wayside School is always a hit with students.

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 12, 2011

Our school does too...especially with the movies coming out. :)

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 12, 2011

Wait a minute!!! Ramona and Fudge have not been around forever. I remember them coming out when my kids where young. Now, Boxcar children have been around forever.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2011

I have used many of those as read-alouds, although I don't have class sets to use as a novel study. The 2nd grade teacher always reads the first Boxcar Children books. I love sharing favorite books from my childhood with my students.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 14, 2011

I read at least one of those every year!

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2011

I've always been a big fan of the Boxcar Children. I thought that was cool, too! I like some of Beverly Cleary's but you have to preview them first--some of them aren't so good for 4th-5th graders. (Content)

15. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 14, 2011

Anyone remember Miss Piggle Wiggle? I LOVED those books when I was in elementary!

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 14, 2011

Oh my gosh...I used to love Wayside School is Falling Down. I remember being in fourth grade and ordering "Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger" from Scholastic. The cover glowed in the dark!!:D

I was so delighted when I realized it was a pun and that the "little stranger" didn't mean "weirder" but the main teacher actually had a baby.

I cannot remember the kids names anymore, well except I think one was named Paddy, but I remember a few of the stories like:

1) A substitute came and she was super evil. She had a third ear that let her listen to other people's thoughts and she used it to embarass the kids. She put her ear against the main teacher's baby's chest to hear it's thoughts and the baby was so full of love, it knocked the evil outta her.

2) There was no 13th floor. The building went 12 then 14. Yet this kid somehow got caught on the 13th floor where time came to a complete halt and the teacher kept kids, now adults, imprisoned there by giving them A's all the time and they used to copy the dictionary or memorize it.

17. DavidGS

DavidGS Rookie

Nov 14, 2011

Greetings from Taiwan. We used the Wayside School series for many years until recently. The stories were enjoyed by teh kids and I used the stoies to develop readers theater scripts.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2011

Boxcar children, Charlie & the Choc Factory & Indian in the cupboard...some of my favs my teachers read!!!

19. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 14, 2011

Mrs. Zarves was on the 13th floor. Yes, you would have to copy out of the dictionary!

Then there was Louis, the yard teacher.

My favorite was Mrs. Jewls. If you acted up, your name got written up on the chalk board. If it was written three times, you got sent home early on the kindergarten bus.
    Anyway, in one story, Mrs. Jewls misbehaved and put her own name on the board three times. She went home early on the bus haha.

I literally get into hysterics while reading the Wayside stories. I started a giggling fit in the lounge the other day on my lunch break and everyone who passed looked at me like I was a complete weirdo. :lol:

20. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 14, 2011

Same here! She could solve the most random of problems, hah. Like the boy who wanted to take apart and fix things all the time.

21. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 15, 2011

Ramona Quimby and Boxcar are still loved by the kids. They aren't in the curriculum, but I read these books to the children. For younger grades I have found the kids really enjoy Berenstein Bears and Amelia Bedilia. The kids really howl at Amelia Bedilia.