Are there sub jobs at the beginning of the school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher Gii, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 12, 2014

I've come to the realization that I will probably not get a job for this upcoming school year. Yeah, I know, "Well with that attitude.." yada yada. With not a single interview this summer, you would understand my feelings.

I am in as a sub for two districts..Aside from people putting in for some sort of leave ahead of time, are there usually any sub jobs at the beginning of a school year?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2014

There is usually a 2-3 week delay, but then the work does pick up for subs.

4. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 12, 2014

Yeah..I kind of figured. In my mind, I'm like, "Who is going to call out at the very beginning of the school year?" I'm just going to have to stay on top of the sub site to snag whatever becomes available.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2014

Thing happen, but established subs typically get those jobs. In my experience, anyway.
    By the 3rd week, it is on. Workshops, illnesses, etc... start happening.

6. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I usually didn't start getting called until the last week of September-first week of October. The jobs were slow to come by for me until the holiday season picked up.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

I am! The first full week of school I'm going to miss at least 2 days, maybe 3. My son is going out of state for school & I'm going to help him move in.

When he was in kindergarten his teacher missed the 1st day of school. There had been a death in her family.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

Because we are an extended school year & start earlier then most schools, we have several teachers this year who are going to miss the 1st 2 or 3 days of school for a workshop. Actually, I think it's the entire 1st grade team. Then later that week there's another workshop that will pull out at least 1 teacher.

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 12, 2014

I just had a sub interview the other day. I just asked them at the end (because I plan on quitting my current job to sub) when subs are needed and they said to be available the 2nd week of school. Teachers don't really miss any days that first week...and then trainings might start where they would need to get subs in. Good luck!

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

There are definitely some! One of our teachers was out the second day with jury duty.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

Yes. And in a large district there may even be many unfilled positions.

12. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 13, 2014

I kept track of every day I subbed last year. My first call was Sept. 27.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2014

Sure. Things come up all the time, and they don't hold off just because it's the first bit of school. Deaths in the family, weddings out of state, children going to college, surgeries, etc.

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 13, 2014

Also, teachers sometimes leave positions at the very last minute, like a week before school starts! So there is still hope.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 14, 2014

What you should do between now and then is, go to every school that you would like to be considered, and hand out a resume along with your sub business card. I had about 500 sub cards printed, but never used them. I found this is a great excuse to go around to schools though.

Anyway, I clipped them together and, dressed casually (aloha shirt/khakis) drove around to every school in my two districts too (20-30 schools). At least half were responsive... in that they were pleasant and accepted it. IIRC, I met about 5-10 principals (i.e. ~20%). A small number were either closed or whatever (so I didn't get to meet anyone). And one or two were rude or made you feel dumb for doing it.

Anyway, long story long, this helps you in both ways that you care about: 1) It lets them have your card, and a memory of you, for the rarer sub jobs that come up in the first couple weeks. If all that leg work produces one job a week, that still is one job you wouldn't have gotten.

And (more importantly, 2) it does help in your job search. How do I know? I was in your same position (most certainly, worse off than you though) last year.

16. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 14, 2014

That is a good idea John..I don't know how I would look in an aloha short and khakis though ;) J/k. I get what you're saying.