Are there sites for free music downloads?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jen12, Sep 8, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 8, 2012

I'm on a long term sub assignment in a state preschool, and there is no music in the classroom. Well, there is some, but the CD's are all songs for an older group of kids than the preschoolers I'm teaching. I went out and bought a CD I thought would be good for circle time, but it wasn't what I thought it was, and Lakeshore wouldn't take it back. I'm not inclined to spend any more of my own money on a sub assignment, but I'd like some songs for circle time...a greeting song, perhaps a calendar song, maybe a goodbye song for the end of the day. This classroom went through a teacher change, so I think the previous teacher took a lot of stuff with her. There seems to be quite a few things missing, but since I'm only there short-term, it's really not in my control...

So...are there any websites where I can download free songs. I googled "free Greg&Steve downloads" and found sites that charge. I'd just like to burn a CD that I can use.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

Free legal downloads?

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 8, 2012

Anything that's public domain would be a free legal download. There are sites for that (just google public domain music download). The problem with that is that most public domain songs are older. Probably not many children's songs.

When I taught foreign language classes and was looking for songs for cultural reference, etc., I would just find a clip on YouTube and use that. I didn't show them the video, but they could still hear the music.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 8, 2012

Can't you just ask other teachers in the school if they have any cds they aren't using?

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 8, 2012

I thought this too but apparently there are no sound recordings in the public domain except things owned by the federal government. The written music is in public domain but not the recordings.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 8, 2012

I thought about that, but I don't really know them. Also, I'm only supposed to be there for the first month. I don't want to get the kids into a routine and then have to return the music, and I don't want to pass on the responsibility for a borrowed item to the regular teacher when she returns.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 8, 2012

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

You could check your local public library. They usually have a lot of good stuff, including CDs. You can just rip the music you want to use.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2012

I typed "kids" into Pandora and there are lots of kid channels. However, you wouldn't have control over what played when.

11. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

Freegal is a free music service that many public libraries subscribe to.