Are there other games like Simon Says to keep kids quiet while waiting in line?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thesub, Apr 1, 2018.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 1, 2018

This is for grade 2. We are all a bit tired of Simon Says...

Thank you so much,
    these

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Master Pre-K likes this.
  4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 1, 2018

My old school had flashcards on hooks in the hallway outside the restrooms at teacher-level. Kind of a quick "around the world" while in line.

readingrules12 and otterpop like this.
  5. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 1, 2018

Ok, thank you. The kids actually are ok with Simon Says. We played it for picture day when some kids finished their days and were waiting for the classmates and a few times when the specials teacher dismissed them early and their teacher showed up a bit late to pick them up. The teacher specifically told me to wait for her.

6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 1, 2018

Thank you

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

Brainquest - love these.

readingrules12 likes this.
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

Walking the halls is a skill within itself. Practice the art of the Float Parade Wave, when an old teacher or friend walks by. So many kids run out of line and hug family and other teachers. This is a big pet peeve of mine. Teach them to follow your quiet signals, "walk, stop, turn around", you will amaze everyone. You can be a traffic cop or a 3rd base coach or a choir director, whatever works. Nothing a P likes more than a well-managed, quiet class in the hall.

Let's say you're heading for Gym and somebody forget to tell you there is no Gym, because teacher is out. Grrrr...I digress. You need to quickly and quietly turn your line around, and head back to class.

Send two kids back to check the room, for lights, computers left out, those keys you left on the desk (oops!) That is a privilege that will make everyone stand holding a bubble/zipped lips, arms behind their backs, and look proud. Who doesn't want that responsibility of being called on for the next job?

Teach them to admire the artwork and assignments on bulletin boards, but don't touch. Many kids slide along the walls, destroying work. Some are mean and impatient, and will pull off stuff if they are waiting. A quiet observation of fellow students' work is a good skill to practice.

Long wait for lunch line, library class hasn't finished? How about a quick tornado drill? Stop, stoop, cover your head and turn towards the wall. They must wait for your all clear signal before getting up. They HAVE to be quiet, or the real threat of a tree ramming through a window could take one of them out.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 2, 2018

This idea rocks!

10. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Apr 4, 2018

While waiting as opposed to while walking?
    I do a "mirror" thing where I touch my ears, my nose, raise my hands over my head, etc. They silently follow my lead. It does wonders when you need a quiet room. I saw a principal do it to quiet down the school during an assembly and thought it was absolutely amazing so I adopted it.

11. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 5, 2018

We have a game called quiet mouse. We choose the quietest student and then they walk and pick the quietest person the opposite gender.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 5, 2018

I observed a teacher once who did mental math during transition times. She might say:
    Two plus three, minus one, plus eight.

Then students would raise their hand to answer. She used this while passing out supplies, papers, getting a computer to load, etc. It was a good technique, and one I just remembered upon reading your post, so thanks!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2018

mental math is a lost art. Folks pull out their cell phones to check receipts after they get out the store! You should be able to add in your head and see that you are being overcharged!!1