Are there disadvantages of getting a 2nd cert??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RisyFLA, Nov 10, 2019.

1. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Nov 10, 2019

I have a STEM background that qualifies me for 4+ different subjects, but I am only certified in Math 6-12. My school might need me to replace a science vacancy starting next week.

I am interested, I can teach it, I am "certifiable", and I can pass the subject test by April. But I remember when I was just starting out, many teachers bemoaning having multiple certs and the associated headaches (but can't remember why.) I really know nothing about any of this :p

Any warnings or advice before I commit to something?? Just realized my "favor" might also cost me hundreds of $$$! I am in Florida.
    TIA,
    Risy

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 10, 2019

Don't get a certificate in any subject that you would hate to actually have to teach. This is a common problem with people who get certificates in SPED because of increased job availability - sounds good, right? But after a year of so, they realize they hate SPED and all of the extra work, and then, when they try to get back to gen ed, they bemoan the fact that once someone sees that they have the SPED, they are never seriously considered for those gen ed positions.

So my only words wisdom are "don't get a certificate in any subject you would hate to actually have to teach." I have 8 certificates, and am fine teaching any of them, but I have refused to get a certificate in K-12 chemistry or middle school math. I have absolutely no interest in teaching either of them, even though technically I could if I would just get the certificate. I would hate teaching either of those, so when asked why I don't, or won't, get the certificate, I simply smile and walk away.

As far as being in Florida, I don't know anything about it. Here in NJ, since I have the required credits, and my transcripts have been evaluated and approved, I would simply be out for the Praxis exam, and another one time fee of $100 to the state, more or less, for processing and issuance of the certificate. If you lack any of the credits and have to take a course or two, that could certainly cost you more.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    RisyFLA and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 11, 2019

When I 1st started teaching in another state, a seasoned teacher gave me the best advice. Do not take classes or tests to get certified in something you do not want to teach. I got certified in gifted and talented education because I loved it.
    If I had taken the other tests and courses, odds are I'd have gotten stuck in them. I watched it happen to a lot of people.
    How would your favor cost you $? Testing???

RisyFLA likes this.
  5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 11, 2019

Only get certified in something you would LOVE to teach. Also, if they want you to do it badly enough (and it IS something you would love doing) then make them pony-up and pay for it, or at least pay you for the time to do the studying. If they aren't willing, or can't, I wouldn't do it.

RisyFLA and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Nov 11, 2019

Yes Testing is VERY expensive. Adding a certification is also big$ (plus renewing it.) I just learned that I also need additional Professional development hours to have another cert. UGH.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 11, 2019

If you believe that you would like to teach science, then you figure a one time test fee, a one time certificate fee, and PD that probably would serve both STEM courses, so limited extra fees would be needed. Honestly, I get so many free PD opportunities that I post on the Free Links and Resources that other than taking grad classes because I want to, the PD is actually free, other than some time.

I am always quick to point out people who go for the SPED certification even though they really don't have any strong feelings that this would be something they would choose for themselves. If you do a few searches on this forum, or others, with the key words "how to get out of teaching SPED", "how to teach Gen. Ed. even though I have a SPED certification", and other terminology such as that, you can get a feel for how people were desperate to get any kind of teaching job, but now that they see how much more work SPED teachers put in, they really want out of that certification.

If the science would be of interest to you, you should find out if you would get a pay bump to have and use the second certificate...If you have to take more grad classes to acquire the second certificate, or have to have your transcript evaluated, those would be mostly one time fees, but you need to know that in NJ, once we have a certificate in a subject matter, we never pay any more fees on that certificate. We don't have to renew annually or every two years, to keep the certificate, which is different from many states. Once our certificate is issued as a permanent certificate, it is yours with no more fees until you go to another state.

RisyFLA likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 21, 2019 at 5:32 AM

Like everyone here has said, only do it for a subject you'd be comfortable actually teaching because you can be compelled to teach any subject on your license. I took off an endorsement when I upgraded my license because, although I love the subject, it's a testing area, and I want nothing to do with state testing.