Are there any topics that are NOT in your standards that you spend a lot of time on

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

anyway?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

My whole course is an elective, though I tie in to other content as well. History of cinema unit? Not part of the standards. Screenwriting unit? Not part of the standards. My class does greatly enrich the science, social studies, foreign language, and English curricula, but nothing I teach is a specific GLE for a specific course.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

I spend about a month having them learn to label a US map. It is not in our curriculum, but the HISTORY of the US is. I figure that each of our 50 states is part of our history, so therefore I am good :thumb:
    My P knows I teach it. I think it is important to know the geography of your country- call me crazy.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2012

Creativity. We don't have any standards that encourage that so when we do art or do a project of some kind I usually have to use a writing objective to justify it. I also introduce a lot of vocab for geography.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 6, 2012

I'm fortunate in that my administration encourages us to foster students' creativity. While we obviously need to address the standards associated with our courses, we still have a large amount of flexibility in what/how we teach (provided we administer common summative assessments).

7. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

I teach 7th grade Honors English, 8th grade Honors English, and one period of Digital Media Art. It's an elective and it takes an equal amount, or about one third of my planning time.

In California, we do have Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) and Career Technical Education (CTE) state standards. However, since only English and Math are assessed most years in our state-wide standardized testing, those subjects tend to be considered more accountable.

My digital art class has 6, 7, & 8 graders, so I have some flexibilty in standards. Although I keep the coursework rigorous, provide challenging content, and assess regularly, most of the content (computer skills, design principles, Photoshop software, digital photography, art history, history of film, arts as social commentaries and documentaries, gender & cultural implications, cinematography, art evaluation & critique, video production, design careers, etc.), isn't specifically covered in the VAPA standards, except in a very general way. Like CeliaB, I integrate other grade level content areas often, coordinating with colleagues on pacing.

My English coursework includes some content, like public speaking, that is in the standards but generally deemphasized because it is not tested annually.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

Grammar. The current standards assume that students know it cold by 7th grade. All I'm supposed to teach are complex sentences, semicolons, and colons... but of course, if they can't identify a conjunction in a sentence, it becomes a bit more complicated...

Don't get me started on how they think that pronouns and nouns are the same thing.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 7, 2012

Like Chebrutta, I cover basic grammar - not in the standards. I spend much more time on Vocabulary - weekly lesson and work. Not in the standards, at least not as intensively as I do it.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2012

Not really. :( No time. Although last year we did a space related field trip so we let the kids read some space related books and do some research leading up to the trip, but it was only a tiny bit of time.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2012

Yes. Anything related in current events. I squeeze it in the best I can.

Technically I can find standards to justify everything, but it doesn't help "prepare" kids for the state test since that is just focused on knowing unrelated facts.