Are there any teaching jobs out there?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by littleredhen, May 19, 2011.

1. littleredhen

littleredhen New Member

May 19, 2011

Hi everyone! I am a first-year student trying to decide whether to continue to pursue a post-bacc in elementary education. I would specifically like to teach language arts to 5th or 6th graders (probably in a charter school). I know that will probably be a hard job to find. I actually have a bachelor's degree in theater, but I think trying to find a job as a drama teacher would be even harder! I am in Arizona, where the education system isn't so great. We've had budget cuts and lots of teachers were let go. But I am willing to relocate. I'm hearing conflicting information about jobs for teachers. Some say there aren't any, while others say there will always be a need for them. I'm not young, and I have two kids to support. If there aren't any jobs, I can't afford to spend more money on classes. Does anyone know what the outlook is for employment? Thanks so much for any advice!

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 19, 2011

Is 5th grade middle school in AZ? I've only seen one school system (it was a charter) that considered 5th middle school and had a separate Language Arts teacher. 5th grade is usually elementary, meaning the teacher would teach all subjects, and 6th grade is sometimes elementary too, in my area.

I'm in California, which is arguably one of the worst states for finding teaching jobs, especially in my area (southern CA). And yet, there are still jobs opening, there are still interviews occurring, and there are still teachers being hired. I'm sure they are getting hundreds or even thousands of applicants for each job, but the jobs do exist. I've seen many jobs in rural areas, especially. I think if you're flexible about grade level, school, and location, and if you get as much experience in the meantime as you can, you are more likely to find a job.

As far as charters go, I've heard AZ has a lot. CA has a lot, too. So you may have a good chance at finding something in a charter...but just realize they may pay less than public - they do here, although that won't stop me from applying to them!

4. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

May 19, 2011

There are job openings here in AZ, but I find most of the calls/interviews I get (after applying everywhere) are for the very low SES schools and mostly in the West Valley. I am commuting right now from East to West Valley and may have to move out here. D: I'm special ed., so I have a few more options than a language arts teacher. 5th or 6th is usually not departmentalized like that, but I know some schools are. Ours was last year, and I know another in our district is departmentalized even from the primary grades. So yes, I think this may be a difficult job to find right now. Elementary Ed. is pretty competitive.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

To be perfectly honest- in elementary ed. no there really aren't. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you. Yes, there are a few openings (and I mean very few) available. However, there are thousands upon thousands of teachers applying for those openings. We have a regular ed. elementary opening next year. It is the first one in years. In fact many of the probationary teachers here have been let go before due to budget, or let go and hired back at the last second when enrollment went up. We had the position posted for two weeks and got almost 3,000 applicants. This is an area that is "tough to live in" and it takes a certain kind of person typically that would be excited about living here- so the fact that we got 3,000 applicants for any position speaks volumes. We're doing demo lessons and interviewing now, and we have teachers with 10-15 years of experience willing to start at a very low salary in order to get the job. I also work in a low SES school and standardized-test score wise we are the lowest performing in the district (don't get me wrong- my school is amazing and our scores are low due to factors like SES and language barriers that other schools don't have to deal with, but I'm just saying from an outside perspective the school wouldn't look like the best one to work in). No one I graduated with that just had the elementary ed. certification got a job this year. Only three of us that also had the special ed. certification got hired and we all had to move out of state to do it. If you're willing to move anywhere (somewhere like alaska maybe?) and work in a very low ses/inner city school, you might have a chance. Otherwise, you could be the one in a million that gets hired- so I'm not saying it's not possible- but the chances aren't good. It only gets worse every year as colleges crank out more and more grads and people that didn't find jobs the previous year or got laid off are continuing to look for jobs too.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 20, 2011

People who say there is always a need for teachers are definitely NOT teachers! Yes, there is always a need a for teachers, but with all of the crazy budget cuts, jobs are being cut left and right and not replaced.

There are jobs, but they are HIGHLY competitive. Expect 300+ applicants for every job. Just getting an interview is a huge accomplishment. I have friends who have been looking for 3 years now.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 20, 2011

Haha maybe I have an unrealistic perspective because before my mom's layoff notice was rescinded, she applied for maybe 10 jobs and got 4 interviews (in California, no less!) - all in elementary. But then again, she has a master's in TESOL, a reading certificate, and 13 years of experience, so maybe that played into it. Haha.

Waterfall mentioned a job posting open for 2 weeks - in my state, I've seen several jobs (especially in high-demand areas like southern CA) that are only posted for one or two DAYS.

I don't know though, you still have a couple years to go...who knows what the market will be like in a few years. There are still charters opening up in my state - one charter company I know of hired 38 elementary teachers for a couple of brand new schools.

8. Math

Math Cohort

May 20, 2011

Well, my district is hiring a Principal.

9. littleredhen

littleredhen New Member

May 20, 2011

Thank you

It's good to hear the truth from people who know what they're talking about. Colleges will take your money and give you false encouragement. That's why I thought I should come to this forum. Thank you all for your help. :)

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 20, 2011

I've posted this in another thread before, but NW Arkansas is still growing. A district near us is hiring 30 new positions. That doesn't include any positions where teachers are leaving or retiring.
    My school alone is hiring 4 new elementary teachers, and the district has about 10 more.
    I know other school districts around are hiring new positions as well.
    Just across the border in Oklahoma, though, districts are cutting positions. Our neighboring town in OK is cutting 10 positions and they are only a K-8 school (very small district).

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 20, 2011

There are a lot of elementary jobs in Arizona. I don't think the job market is nearly as bad here as it is in other states. Since I've been in education in AZ I've never known anyone who has had that hard of a time finding a position. So even with the budget cuts, which is happening everywhere, it's really not as bad as many areas. Yes, most positions are at low SES schools, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

12. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

May 21, 2011

I went back to graduate school four years ago and received my teaching credential in California. We moved out of state to the South and I have been looking for a teaching job since my move, but only very seriously looking for the last two years. My degree is from one of the top teaching universities and I have an 3.97 GPA. Still can't even get my foot in the door! I took a preschool position at the beginning of this school year, but the pay is horrible! And I mean horrible considering all the prep, lesson planning, buying of materials/supplies and working every holiday, night and weekends! Just wasn't close to being worth it! I live in a major metropolitan area, and even within an hour commute there just are no jobs. Every year the districts are increasing class sizes, while cutting positions and programs. At my sons school this year alone 11 teachers were let go! And that has been happening for the last three years in a row. Dismal! My credential qualifies me to teach preschool through twelfth grade, so I can fit into lots of different jobs. The job market is really bad for teachers and I don't see any sunny forecast for the future. I am actually thinking of going back to school maybe for nursing. The future seems brighter for nurses and the job market is better in my area. However it still is scary thinking of spending three more years in school wondering if a job will be available after graduation.... Especially after spending all the time, money and energy becoming a teacher. I am not so enthusiastic anymore!

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 21, 2011

Yes I live on the Gulf Coast, near the beach & while there are not hundreds of jobs, there are jobs. I don't know how many people are applying though, I don't think it's hundreds. This is a quiet, "Small Town USA" type of area, not a big city life or anything & I think many people prefer the city life. For instance, many of the schools are the only building on a long road in which you will pass by cows & horses & many farms. It's beautiful here & I love it! :D We just moved here a few months ago.

I got an interview last year but turned it down because I was pregnant (and my health & baby comes first). So I know I'm on the right track since I was able to get that call.
    Now that my baby is here, I have applied to 5 positions, I'm desperate and feel like I will just about die if I don't get a job.

14. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

May 22, 2011

It depends where you live. There are several openings in my school, but it is the lowest of low SES and very tough. I just happen to like it that way, personally. ;-) If you really are called to become a teacher then your hard work and luck will find you a job.

15. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 22, 2011

It took me four years to find an elementary teaching job in northern Michigan. People here tend to keep their jobs 30 years and then retire. MI is going to have huge budget cuts if the governor gets his way, it's a very scary time. My school is facing $600,000 in cuts. We've already outsourced janitors and bus drivers. Not much choice now except to cut aides and teachers.

A local teacher was offered a job over the PHONE if she'd move to Phoenix. Obviously it wasn't a great job if they were that desperate! I know a few young teachers who took jobs in urban areas right out of college and had really bad conditions, they didn't stay long.

A local college is not honest with students. They are saying there are so many jobs, and these kids are leaving school with $80-100,000 in loans and no teaching job.

I wish you luck!

16. littleredhen

littleredhen New Member

May 23, 2011

Are school counselors losing their jobs too?

Thank you all again. You've saved me time and money. What about school counselors? Are there any jobs for them?

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2011

:D:D

littleredhen - School counselors are actually worse off than teachers in my state. Keep in mind that even under the best conditions, there was only one counselor per school as opposed to 20 or 30 or more teachers, depending on school size and class size.

The school I student taught in has a counselor...that they share with 4 other schools. They get her one day a week. They used to have their own, full-time counselor, before the budget cuts started chipping away at everything several years ago.

So, I don't think school counseling is a good way to go if you're looking for a career path that has jobs. :(

I say - do what you're passionate about. Maybe you will not get a teaching job RIGHT out of school, maybe you will. Maybe you'll have to work in another job for a couple of years and then teach when things open up again. I personally would rather wait a few years for my dream job than start another career that I don't love and be stuck in that forever. :2cents:

18. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

May 25, 2011

From my personal experience, if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't just because it has been so hard to find a permanent position. I do not regret my degree or my experiences but many of my personal life goals have been put on hold. My husband has a decent job with benefits but doesn't make a whole lot. We have put babies on hold, buying a house on hold....everything we'd hoped we'd be doing 2 years after I graduated.

After graduation, we were willing to move anywhere as he was jobless at the time. I spent tons of money traveling all over to interviews, sending out resumes, visiting schools, job fairs, etc. Nothing came of it and now that he has a job we are stuck. Since than I've continued the search. I found employment in a pre-school. It was okay but getting paid $10.00 an hour to teach, work major overtime at the drop of a hat and having no time off wears on you quickly. I then decided to try to get my foot in the door by substitute teaching. I found a position as a full time tutor this year and my contract is up in 6 days. The principal says there is a possibility there may be some positions but it isn't likely. Next year would make year three without a teaching job. It's heartbreaking. Many grads have been in my position and others you see on facebook posting pictures of their classrooms and already have two years under their belt.

I went to school full time this past semester for a health care related field and I'm awaiting to see if I am accepted into the program or not. It was really hard juggling work and school but I did it so I can have new hope for next year.

I think there will be a time when the job market is better but it's becoming flooded. I was extremely motivated, following every lead, willing to do almost anything and still had no luck. If your willing to look for years after graduation for a job and live of substitute teacher pay and it is your biggest aspiration do it.

If finding employment immediately is your goal. Look for other avenues. Also, I've noticed there is more positions available for special education teachers. Good luck!