Are there any sayings that drive you up a wall?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tired Teacher, Oct 12, 2019.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2019

I had a P once who had a favorite saying whenever someone needed to attend to a personal matter..."Remember our priorities...school comes first, family second".

Based upon the behavior of her own children, she followed her advice absolutely.

2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 12, 2019

My new principal upon introducing herself and her family and then inexplicably bursting into tears, said our families absolutely come first and to let her know of any conflicting issues.

3. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Nov 12, 2019

I have a friend who taught special ed in England for 3 years. She said it's a mess across the pond. Wink, wink. Seriously though, she said she couldn't even believe the kinds of things that went on. She said any problems we have are miniscule in comparison.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2019

Kiddos doesn't bother me. I may have even used it in the 80's....lol I don't hear it anymore.
    I think it may be most common in the lower grades. I think it'd be odd to hear it used w/ 7th graders too.
    1 like that I hate is 1 teacher says: "My people" ( a K teacher). " My people" meant something totally different where I grew up. I am sure it has different meanings in many places. She uses it to mean like she is a great leader for a group that no1 else could possibly understand.

5. Tired Teacher

Nov 16, 2019

I have always had P's who said , " Family comes 1st, but only a couple truly meant it.

6. Tired Teacher

Nov 16, 2019

I think we follow after England in a lot of ways. ( Not just in education....) I am afraid in 20 yrs, we will be in their shoes w/ the unemployment and exploitation of workers worse than we have now.

ecteach likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2019

Weird because over here we think we follow you. You had Charters and we copied them with our Free schools and Academies.

Tired Teacher and ecteach like this.
  8. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Nov 17, 2019

I say this all the time. lol. Sorry.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Nov 17, 2019

I get my England info from 1 source so I am sure I make WAY too many assumptions by what he has told me over the last maybe 7 years. Sorry! Now I have 2 sources. :) He left England and married someone here. ( He was fed up w/ some policies there.)
    I haven't been there in many yrs so my thoughts kind of go along the lines of some of the things he has shown me having to do with the unpaid internships that lead no where, people who have killed themselves due to what he calls "austerity" programs, unavailability of decent housing for an affordable price, and so on.....
    He moved here and w/in 2 yrs had built a big house. ( He had never been able to afford one there before.) These are all becoming problems in the US too. Housing is outrageous in most of the places I have lived, but attainable if you can work at a decent job, are willing to relocate, and save.
    I asked you earlier because you mentioned free health care. He had issues w/ quality of care there too. At this point in life though, I am ready to go to a national medical program. ( Even if it dropped the quality of it a bit.) The expense of insurance is highest in the state I live in than the other states. I can actually see that changing in the US at some point. Your average person is going to be so sick of the prices of anything medical. That is 1 of the ways I think we are changing or following in England's footsteps.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2020

I think all these phrases are annoying, because all of a sudden they start being used, then become overused, and everyone is saying them, as if they became more educated or knowledgeable by using them.
    Rigor was overused, and then passed, and now we keep hearing about trauma informed. First it was interesting (we had a PD about it) but then when that's all you hear you wonder how education lasted without that phrase this whole time lol.

We had a principal last year (he's no longer principal lol) who would use the word "delta". Have no idea where it came from, never explained it but it sounded like it meant "problems, concerns" as "we will discuss the successes and the deltas" It just sounded weird, we were wondering what the heck he was talking about. He might have actually invented it and tried to make it stuck, because I never heard it anywhere else, before or after.

The same thin in the corporate world with "opportunity". The sentence "wow, you got some great opportunities here" really meant "you messed up big time and you need to fix all this". I get being positive and not use negative language but when you hear "opportunity" 10 times a day, it's too much. Interestingly I haven't heard it making it to the education world.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 31, 2020

I wonder if he meant change.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 31, 2020

The "delta" thing was in favor in my school/district for many years. IDK where it comes from as they were already saying it when I started working there, but it is a nice way to say "negatives." Instead of saying, "let's discuss positives and negatives," they would say, "let's discuss pluses and deltas" when doing things like looking at data, looking at some new plan/initiative, talking about interview candidates, etc.

As district/school leadership has turned over it's now fallen out of favor and I never hear it anymore. Now usually "negatives" is replaced with "wonderings."

Linguist92021 likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 31, 2020

Why is there a need to sugarcoat things?

Backroads, a2z and Tired Teacher like this.
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 31, 2020

“Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.”

I have 2 colleagues who use that all the time.

For example, when we’re starting a new program, initiative, system, etc.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 1, 2020

I’ve always wondered why some schools change their policy or curriculum so often. I say this because it’s oftentimes not the administrators that have to do all the grunt work, but the teachers. Yes, admin have to do data collection and research about program initiatives and so forth, but the teachers have to execute everything. I think that’s why there is some pushback.

Now, I am not saying I’m not a team player and I actually love trying new things, but sometimes I see how often other schools change things and I just think to myself, “Why not just stick to something that works and when it does, why change anything thereafter?”

Sort of like the age-old adage, “If it isn’t broken, then don’t fix it.”

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  16. Tired Teacher

Jun 1, 2020

Exactly!!!!!

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2020

Because not everything works for everyone. Often they are looking for that magic program that will be the thing that works for all.

Sometimes it is political. Pat doesn't want this program and works to convince the administration that it isn't working as well as expected. And sometimes it is at the district level in larger districts that want all schools doing the same for completely different populations.

I am just shocked how many are swayed by marketing. I'm not sure that the profession is all that savvy regarding marketing influence regarding programs and approaches.

18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 1, 2020

I love a good curriculum as much as anyone (hey, if it works for my students it saves me time) but I can't help but wonder that if a curriculum can't be something of a magic bullet or at least a close approximation thereof, if you can't reach a decent amount of learners, why the pressure to use it, at least to significant devotion?

I wonder if there wasn't such a hunt for the perfect unicorn program so frequently if time, energy, and money could be better allocated.

Offer the program as a resource, don't panic if it doesn't reach every student, and trust your schools and teachers to fill in the gaps with other materials.

And then give it more than two years before beginning the hunt for another program. (No, I'm not saying keep textbooks for decades, of course)

19. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2020

Oh, I agree.

Education doesn't make great decisions. To me that has always been frightening. I hate to bring up this topic, but we see it every year when pushing students who do not have the requisite skills to learn what is being taught information they cannot grasp and not teaching what they need to learn all in the name of getting them ready for the test that they won't pass anyway.

I see these programs as much the same. They rely on one method that may work for most, but won't work for all. Then the switch because it doesn't work for all. Most often the new program won't work for the same small group that it didn't work for before because it is above where the students need to be.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 1, 2020

School policy and curriculum (including instructional strategies and programs) also change as educators gain more knowledge on current research and as standards change.

Backroads likes this.
  21. Tired Teacher

Jun 1, 2020

Many years ago, I was on a text book adoption committee for a huge district. Whoever we chose would make massive $$$. We were wined and dined by HM, HB, and SN at the time. They provided us a vacation on an island. They gave me anything I asked for and like a young teacher....lol I asked for class sets of books, teaching aides, and school stuff. Oh, if I had a do over!! :)
    They insisted we take gourmet food home with us for our families often, so it wouldn't waste. That was the best part of it all.
    I spent more time than most can imagine reading and finding pros/cons of the products. In the end, our little committee was told which 1 we were buying by a higher up. We always wondered how much the "higher up" was bribed.
    I think the second $$$ is made available, there is a mad dash to buy something new. Oh, and after all of the work I did, it was my 3rd pick he chose. :(

22. Tired Teacher

Jun 1, 2020

I don't ever say that, BUT I have thought it many a times.....;)

23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2020

Maybe, but none of us knew what it meant so it wasn't effective. Just say we need to change some things it's not even negative.

Backroads likes this.
  24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2020

I have no idea. I'm a fan of straight forward communication. I am straight forward in my personal life, with the students and coworkers, my principal used to laughed because I never sugarcoated things. I can definitely deal with the straight up attitude. Doesn't need to be mean, just honest. Just say that something is not working, or we need to change it, or there is a problem, I can deal with that. You throw the "delta" at me, I'll be wondering what's going on and miss the whole speech :)

25. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2020

It may be me, but given he would use this word an no one knew what it meant, I am surprised that no one asked, "I have never heard the world delta in that manner. What do you mean when you use that word in this context?"

Don't we expect students to ask when they don't understand what is being explained? What motivated all of the teachers to never ask what he meant?

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 2, 2020

It's because I haven't shared the details about this principal. No one liked him. He was a control freak, and insecure about everything. Didn't even know how our program is ran but never wanted to admit it, and never asked for guidance. We could never ask a question in a meeting, we had to send I t to him in an email beforehand, because he didn't want to look stupid in front of us not knowing. He didn't know that we all think the response "I don't know but I will find out" is acceptable in pretty much any situation.
    So no, we didn't to bother to interrupt him or even ask :)

27. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 2, 2020

The saying that drives me up the wall is "There is nothing we can do." While this is the case sometimes, often it appears to be giving up and not working to find a solution to a problem.

Tired Teacher, bella84 and Backroads like this.
  28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 2, 2020

That's pretty much like saying, "Our hands are tied". That's really annoying. It's mostly like a cop out excuse.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  29. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jun 2, 2020

"Power standards"

30. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2020

I wouldn't last there a hot second. If I don't understand what is being said, I will ask one way or another.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  31. Tired Teacher

Jun 2, 2020

I had to deal with the above for a few years. It was so difficult. I was in debt though and I needed the paycheck. I asked at 1st, but he'd reply snarky to check my email. As teachers, we learned to ask each other. 1 of us ( we usually took turns asking) would get the nerve up to ask. Looking back, we all should have asked at once together.
    At 1st, I thought it was just me. Then 1 day in a gathering of teachers asking what was going on and all of them started complaining how sick they were of his snarky email comment. ( He'd have forgotten to send it or sometimes left names off of it.) That was a good feeling to know it wasn't personal.
    That P was like Linguist's P. He was insecure because he did not know our programs, didn't want to admit it, and very inexperienced. If I had not been in debt, I am pretty sure, I'd have quit and told him why.

32. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 2, 2020

I just looked up Plus/Delta. Wow. Who is raking in the dough training people in this reinvented wheel?

33. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2020

One of the things that drives me up the wall is when people say "Language evolves" as a way to cover ignorance when a word is not used properly.

Language does evolve. New activities are given words, new inventions are given words and new slang evolves into new words. But when a word or phrase is used incorrectly, saying "language evolves" is not different than allowing students to believe that 3 x 4 = 13. We now have words where the two definitions for the word are opposite of one another because "language evolves". While the phrase is true, it doesn't apply to every change in language. Sometimes it is just incorrect usage and we have become to afraid to correct others.

Tired Teacher and Linguist92021 like this.
  34. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 7, 2020

“The best is yet to be” is something that grates on me. I had a P who always used that phrase with students and teachers. When our kids had achieved something fantastic, she acknowledged the achievements but always ended with “but remember, the best is yet to be”. I felt like it totally diminished those accomplishments. I think she meant it as encouragement but I think the kids mostly felt that nothing would ever be good enough for the P.

stargirl likes this.
  35. Tired Teacher

Jun 8, 2020

I had 1 like that who never used those words, but diminished what should have been real celebrations before. He liked: We all have room to grow. That is true, but there are times to relish in the moment. It is very poor management training. ( Lack of)

stargirl likes this.
  36. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2020

One of these days, I will hear my principal say, "It is what it is," and I won't flinch.

Tired Teacher and stargirl like this.
  37. Tired Teacher

Jun 9, 2020

I will always flinch at that. I hate that saying. It is like saying we have no power and should not even try to "fix" the kid or system. That saying just became popular around here recently. I pass the torch on that 1 to the next generation of teachers to squash.

rpan likes this.
  38. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 11, 2020

I actually laughed out loud at the opportunity example. OMG, I have created so many opportunities for myself!

39. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 11, 2020

I can't stand the "ed talk" language. My district uses abbreviations for ALL of it and I get lost trying to remember what each abbreviation stands for and I always ask. ...and then at the next meeting I have forgotten again!

40. Tired Teacher

Jun 11, 2020

Same here..Some of the acronyms I do know, but others I often forget. They are ones I do not really "buy into" and have not studied. In order to not be seen as a total moron, I write notes with a ?, kick my friend gently under the table, and she fills it in for me. :)