Are there any sayings that drive you up a wall?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tired Teacher, Oct 12, 2019.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2019

I had a P once who had a favorite saying whenever someone needed to attend to a personal matter..."Remember our priorities...school comes first, family second".

Based upon the behavior of her own children, she followed her advice absolutely.

MrTempest, bella84, otterpop and 2 others like this.
  2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 12, 2019

My new principal upon introducing herself and her family and then inexplicably bursting into tears, said our families absolutely come first and to let her know of any conflicting issues.

3. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 12, 2019

I have a friend who taught special ed in England for 3 years. She said it's a mess across the pond. Wink, wink. Seriously though, she said she couldn't even believe the kinds of things that went on. She said any problems we have are miniscule in comparison.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

Kiddos doesn't bother me. I may have even used it in the 80's....lol I don't hear it anymore.
    I think it may be most common in the lower grades. I think it'd be odd to hear it used w/ 7th graders too.
    1 like that I hate is 1 teacher says: "My people" ( a K teacher). " My people" meant something totally different where I grew up. I am sure it has different meanings in many places. She uses it to mean like she is a great leader for a group that no1 else could possibly understand.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

I have always had P's who said , " Family comes 1st, but only a couple truly meant it.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

I think we follow after England in a lot of ways. ( Not just in education....) I am afraid in 20 yrs, we will be in their shoes w/ the unemployment and exploitation of workers worse than we have now.

ecteach likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2019

Weird because over here we think we follow you. You had Charters and we copied them with our Free schools and Academies.

Tired Teacher and ecteach like this.
  8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019

I say this all the time. lol. Sorry.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 17, 2019

I get my England info from 1 source so I am sure I make WAY too many assumptions by what he has told me over the last maybe 7 years. Sorry! Now I have 2 sources. :) He left England and married someone here. ( He was fed up w/ some policies there.)
    I haven't been there in many yrs so my thoughts kind of go along the lines of some of the things he has shown me having to do with the unpaid internships that lead no where, people who have killed themselves due to what he calls "austerity" programs, unavailability of decent housing for an affordable price, and so on.....
    He moved here and w/in 2 yrs had built a big house. ( He had never been able to afford one there before.) These are all becoming problems in the US too. Housing is outrageous in most of the places I have lived, but attainable if you can work at a decent job, are willing to relocate, and save.
    I asked you earlier because you mentioned free health care. He had issues w/ quality of care there too. At this point in life though, I am ready to go to a national medical program. ( Even if it dropped the quality of it a bit.) The expense of insurance is highest in the state I live in than the other states. I can actually see that changing in the US at some point. Your average person is going to be so sick of the prices of anything medical. That is 1 of the ways I think we are changing or following in England's footsteps.