Are there any G/T coordinators here?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by michelb366, May 18, 2008.

1. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

May 18, 2008

I am moving to a GT/RTI coordinator position next year and would like to pick your brain about how you run your programs. I have been given lot of latitude to design our K-12 gifted program as well as help teachers with RTI strategies. My biggest questions are: What is your district doing right with GT?
    What is your district doing wrong?
    Thanks!
    Michelle

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 18, 2008

Wow! Gifted AND RTI? Our G/T coordinators (we have 4; one for each building) work only on the gifted end or go into the k-2 classrooms to do critical thinking work with all of the students. Your district is asking you to do the jobs of several full-time people!

4. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

May 18, 2008

True, but we have only about 250 students in our K-12 school. We are starting with this position and will see where it goes from there. We are truly starting from scratch on both positions, so part of my job will be to determine how many staff members we will need to do this.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 18, 2008

Good luck to you! Here's my answer to your original question. In our district, the coordinators at the elementary buildings (k-5) do both pull out programming (in math, beginning at 3rd grade and LA in 5th) and go into the k-2 classrooms to work with both whole classes and small cluster groups of kids on various skills and enrichment activities.
    Kids are recommended for our testing pool by the coordinators, their teachers, and/or their parents. We give a battery of tests (I can't remember which ones), and we have a matrix that we plug test scores and scores of teacher questionnaires into. That matrix generates a score, and based on that a child "gets into" the program or not. Sometimes scores are skewed for one reason or another, and those students are recommended for further review; either a WISC test or a interview, depending on the reason for review.
    At the junior high, there are accelerated classes for math and higher level classes for language arts. The coordinator position at our school is new for the upcoming school year, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out. I teach the gifted 7th grade LA class, so I'm sure I'll have some contact with the person who's hired.
    As for RTI, we meet in grade level teams, and we go through the data-gathering and plan review through that mechanism. We use reading CBMs for our screening tool (it's not the best, but it's what our problem solving committee chose). We have literacy classes in grades 6 and 7 (next year 8, too) for those children who are found to need additional literacy support. Those students take the literacy class in place of a foreign language.

Hope this helps!

6. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

May 19, 2008

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Every little nugget of information helps!
    Michelle