are there any first year teachers that leave their work at work

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by traeh, Feb 24, 2008.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Feb 24, 2008

Hey everyone,

My goal for this week is to carry absolutely NOTHING home with me after work. I mean... to leave lesson plans, grading, etc at school, so that I can have a life outside of this job. I want to see if this has been a feasible goal for any other new teachers out there. I'm crossing my fingers...

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 24, 2008

It works if you go to work early or leave work late. I tend to go early and leave right when the kids leave.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 24, 2008

The only teachers I know that leave their work at work were usually those teachers that planned in groups or were really 'focused' - which is not me. One of the benefits of being a general ed. teacher.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Feb 24, 2008

I'm a 4th year and I still haven't learned to leave work at work.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 24, 2008

Like some of the other posters, I can usually get everything done at work, IF I go in at 7 (an hour before the kids) and stay until 5 (2 1/2 hours after kids). I have also been teaching for 4 years, 3 in the same grade level.

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

I usually can leave most of my work at work. I get there at 7 (50 minutes before the kids) and usually leave between 3:30-4:00 (1 - 1 1/2 hours after the kids leave). In addition, I rarely socialize with other teachers, use every minute of my planning time, and always have a "to do" list going so I don't waste time wondering what I need to get done next.

This is my 2nd year teaching. Last year (my first year) I brought home work the first half of the year, then I started to get into a routine and didn't have to bring work home anymore. I've probably only brought work home once or twice this year, in addition to the week that my husband was gone on business and I wanted to keep busy in the evenings. :)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2008

This is my second year teaching. I never take anything home with me because I know that if I do, it won't get done and I'll have to lug it back to school unfinished. That's my only real incentive to get stuff done at school before I leave for the day. :)

Our contracts stipulate that we go in about 15 minutes before the first class starts and stay about 30 minutes after the last class gets out. This 45 minutes plus my regular prep period, which lasts about 85 minutes, leaves me 2 hours daily of planning time. Certainly a large bit of that is spent running errands around the school, talking to other teachers, taking a bathroom break, and other tasks like that, I do usually have plenty of time to take care of grading and filling out paperwork.

I could definitely use more time to get myself organized at school, but that's not anything I can take care of at home.

I know there are some (lots of?) teachers who do spend hours and hours each day doing school stuff at home, and that just isn't for me. I do have a life...and however boring it may be to some, I really value it. I just don't think I'd be able to enjoy my free time if I didn't have any free time, you know?

9. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 24, 2008

I go in at 7 (an hour and 50 min. before the kids come) and then I teach an after school program right after school (4-5:30). Then I stay and finish some work and take some home with me.
    I wish I didn't have to...but I have sooooooooo much to do. And planning time is close to nonexistent. I get 35 min. but by the time I take my kids to specials and go make a few copies it's nearly time to go pick them up again. Sometimes I wish I taught h.s. b/c I know they get sooooooo much more planning time then we do.
    So it's inevitable, I must take work home with me. Although this is my first year at a new school and I'm still learning the ropes and how to manage everything.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 24, 2008

I spend my Saturday worrying about everything I have to do before the next week and I spend Sunday evening 'swearing' at myself for not spreading out my work during the previous week. Right now it is 5:18 pm and I have only planned my math lesson for the week for 3 math groups and I have to plan for 2 more group, then I have 3 reading groups to plan for, 3 writing groups to plan for....

I tend to chose to wake up 30 minutes early to make sure I know what I have to do that that. I share my room with 2 assistants who will like to be in charge of everything and they usually stay until 4:15/4:30 pm every day 'whispering' to each other (they won't do prep for me), so I don't feel comfortable staying after school.

11. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 24, 2008

I have a friend who is a second year teacher and never brings anything home. In fact, I teased her a lot last year as a first teacher. She is very organized and always comes in at least 1 1/2 hours before the kids come to school She is a a morning person. I am not. She leaves about 15 minutes after the kids get out. I wish I could do the same.

12. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Feb 24, 2008

I come in about 30 min before the kids and leave about 2.5 hours after they leave each day and am still bringing stuff home. I have clearly not found my groove yet! :lol:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2008

Ditto what everyone has said. I always wanted to go home so I took BUNDLES home with me..After 10 years I'm still a bit of a bag lady- bringing things INTO school for activities and papers/etc HOME to work on...it works for me...that way I have a family life and still get my work done. I love my sleep too much to go early and I like to see my kids after school (my own kids) so it's lug the stuff back and forth for me...

I have seen new teachers though who come in on time, leave on time and leave with just their purse...doesn't look good...:2cents:

14. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Feb 24, 2008

Last year was my first year teaching Kinder and I didn't bring much home, but that's because I came in early and stayed late - sometimes I was at school until 9:00 or later! This year it hasn't been as bad, but once in a while I stay really late or bring things home. I figure it's just part of the job and it'll taper off the more years I have under my belt.

15. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 24, 2008

I'm a third year teacher, and the only thing I ever take home with me are essays, because I enjoy reading them to pass the time. I like to read them when I'm half-watching something on television, or sitting outside, or just generally "bored."

But my first year, I was a wreck. I carried crates of work home with me every weekend (and as Cassie said, often lugged these crates back to school untouched on Monday!). The best thing to do is just look at the work, sigh, realize taking it home probably won't get it done, and just wait to handle it until the next day of school.

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 24, 2008

There are a few new ones, including myself, in my building who come in early & stay late. But there is one like stated above, except she often comes in late & leaves 10 min before we are allowed almost every day. :mad: Pretty bold huh.

I don't have papers to grade, but I wind up working on new lesson ideas and creating games in the evening. I have started staying for a couple hours on Friday and doing my plans on Saturday so I am not so stressed Sunday. The only reason I'm up now is b-c I'm working on grad work. (But I'm tired sooo it'll have to get finished tomorrow. ;) )

17. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Feb 24, 2008

I couldn't do this at the beginning of the year, but I do now. I only get to school about a half an hour early because I live half an hour away and just can't get up much earlier than I already do, but I almost always stay until at least 4 (the kids leave at 2:40), sometimes 5 in the evening to work on plans, grading papers, etc. When I leave, though, I'm usually done. I hardly ever bring home papers to grade. Sometimes I work on plans or creating materials at home, but only because I'd rather work on my computer at home than the one I have at school, and the printer in my classroom is possessed.

I have definitely gotten better at leaving work at work, while still managing to be prepared for each day. In fact, I feel more prepared if I can do all my planning at school because then I don't have to worry about forgetting anything when I go home. My principal's biggest praise of me this year has been about my planning and preparation skills, so I don't feel like I'm slacking at all by not taking work home. Somehow, it gets done.

18. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 25, 2008

I find if I get behind I just can't catch up! I actually find I take more home now than at the beginning of my teaching career because I have children. I have got to pick them up and take them to school so my at school hours are very limited. I do miss the good old days when I could go in 1/2 hour early or stay an hour later if I wanted to. Plus that fact that I have a 40 minute commute each way. I wish I could grade papers while I am a driving. Hmmm. . . .

19. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

I'm first year...
    For my new year's resolution, I decided to pick ONE day per week that I didn't bring anything home. It's getting better and I hope to bump it up to two days per week soon!
    It feels SO GOOD to leave school with just my purse!
    :)

20. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 25, 2008

I'm a first year teacher too. I decided about 2 months ago that I wasn't going to bring anything home, except on the weekends to plan for the upcoming week. I go in about 30 minutes before the kids, and stay on average 2hours after they leave. I do get 85 minutes of planning every day, so I get most of my grading done then.

My goal is for this time next year to not bring anything home on the weekends either. :whistle:

21. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 25, 2008

I don't know how you all stay so long! On average, I'm out of there at 3:35, no later than 4:00! Hope I'm not a bad person now. :)

22. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 25, 2008

I'm a first year teacher, and I've pretty much stopped bringing things home with me. I get to school about an hour before the students. I'm even there well before my principals. I stay at least 2 hours after school, sometimes more. It's worth staying the extra time to not have to lug anything home with me. Plus, by the time I get home, clean the house, and fix dinner, I'm not in the mood to anything but veg! I've also found that I like my job a lot more when I get to leave work at work.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2008

The first two years, I lived 30-45 minutes from home, and I had a child that needed to be picked up from daycare by a certain time which limited the amount of work I could do at school. I worked the entire planning period, and took a lot of work home. I'm hoping to get a job in the district we live in for next school year which will allow me to get there earlier/stay later.

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 25, 2008

Some weeks are better than others - I usually get to school 30 minutes before we are required to (1hour before students) and stay 30 minutes longer than required (1 hour after students). Some weeks I have long duties before or after school and those weeks I have to stay longer. One thing that I notice between me and other teachers who stay longer is that I really work during my planning. Some teachers take their breaks during conference periods or just do things at a slower pace. One teacher is there late every night, but I noticed she works after school with the TV on and is often caught up in that. It is my nature to set tasks and get them done rather than debate about it. It also depends on how much I have in my file for what we are studying and how much I make new things for or search for new things.

25. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

At the beg. of the year I brought home a lot. I mean actually did lesson plans and grading at home. But then I worked out a plan for lesson planning and I do ALL of that at school. I do bring home papers to grade, and every now and then some things that I need to prepare for my Math lessons, but that's it. I stay at least an hour later after the kids leave, but I usually spend most of that time getting things ready for the next day, and then planning for next week. I could do a lot more at school, but I kinda get to the point where I'm ready to go home! Even if I have to bring home papers to grade, it usually only takes 30 min or so because I teach 1st, so it's not that bad. I've gotten used to not watching TV so now I'm kinda lost without anything to do at nite!

26. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

Today I brought nothing home, but Sunday I graded and planned for hours. It really depends on what I feel like doing each day. Sometimes, i like to keep the momentum of the school day going by doing my work in the classroom as soon as the kids are gone. Other times, I'd rather bring the work home, have dinner with my hubby, then do my work in PJs with the TV on.

27. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 25, 2008

I'm in my third year, and I usually bring home papers to grade, but that's because at the end of the day, I don't want to stick around in the classroom much longer than needed. I do end up there usually between 30 minutes - 1 hour after the students leave, prepping, making plans, and just generally getting organized. But as for all the grading, I live by myself, and I'm the type who needs to be busy - I don't do well just plopping in front of the tv at night. so, I come home, put on my jammies, and grade papers in front of the tv. It works for me.

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2008

It's my first year and I've tried. The beginning of the year I did really well getting everything graded at school (grading is my biggest thing I do at home). Well, in the middle of the year I was taking a TON of papers home. I started grading a lot more during the day now and I haven't had anything to take home in a while. So it is feasible, but you have to spend every spare second during breaks getting work done. If you don't mind that, it leaves all your time at home free.

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 26, 2008

I still have to bring work home with me and I come in 15 minutes early and leave an hour and 10 minutes after the kids leave.

30. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Feb 26, 2008

I'm a first year teacher but my school is on the 4x4 block schedule, and I am fortunate enough to have the same preps both semesters. The first semester I was doing an awful lot of work at home, planning-wise. However, this second semester has been MUCH easier! All the quizzes, tests, and general lesson ideas I spent so much time planning the first time around, I'm using this semester too. Of course I make minor adjustments as necessary, but it's really not a problem for me to leave work at work this semester. Such a welcome change!

31. juc162

juc162 Companion

Feb 29, 2008

I am a first year teacher and I wouldn't say that I never bring things home. I sometimes do. I would say that only sometimes bringing things home is a more attainable goal for a first year teacher. You could select a few days out of the week that you don't bring anything home at all and still be able to make sure everything is ready.

Also, make lists. Complete everything that MUST be done for that day and maybe even one thing that MUST be done 2 days from now. Save the rest for the next day or couple of days.

32. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 2, 2008

Classes start around 805, we need to be there 5-10 minutes before that. I usually show up between 700-720, depending on how motivated I am in the mornings, I drive 20 minutes one way to work. Usually in the mornings, I run off any papers that I may have forgotten to do, write things on the board and get my gameface on. School lets out at 305, sometimes I stay after to put grades in, run off papers, put work on the board for tomorrow, however there are a few times I'm out the door about 315-320 (it takes that long to get my things together and to wait for the rush of students to get to the bus, (we have about 1000 kids in our hs and two doors to push them through).

I bring things home just about every weekend and many times during the week, it doesn't bother me alot to do it. If I get it done I do..if not I'll do it the next day. I'm a first year as well. Since its winter, I'm apt to bring things home each evening in case of snow days the following day (s) so i can revamp the lesson plans and just get ahead of the game. I figure, if I do all this extra planning and preparing this year, I'll sort of minimize some of the work for the following years. I enjoy my job despite all this and grew up with a mother as a teacher, so I wasn't surprised by the take-home work. I have a life as well beyond school, but in all honesty, my Masters program takes up more of my "life" than grading papers and planning lessons. Once I get that taken care of..I'll be pretty much smooth sailing.

33. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Mar 5, 2008

Amen to that!! This is my 2nd year teaching and I never take stuff home with me. All last year I lugged papers home with me and back to school the next day and rarely had anything been done. I do what I can and I realize that my paperwork is not a life or death situation. Some nights I stay late and some times I leave right when I can. I can do my IEP's online at home and the district almost expects me to. But 1) I can't afford internet at my house with the crappy salary they pay me and 2) I don't want to do my work at home. I want to relax at home, so that's what I do. When my life revolves around work, I am crabby and short with the students. But when work revolves around my life, I am happier and more pleasant to the students.

34. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Mar 6, 2008

I almost always take home something to work on at home - otherwise it stacks up sooo fast! However, I just had a bad experience with this...Over the weekend, I brought home all my students' journals and then left them in a tote bag in my car Sunday night. When I came out Monday morning, my car window was smashed and the bag was stolen! :( I couldn't believe it. I hope the thief feels dumb since there was nothing else in the bag!

35. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 6, 2008

la/fl newbie,
    I had to laugh a little when I saw your post because I just think it's hilarious to think of some thief out there who thought he was being so smooth, and now has a stack of journals to show for it. LOL. That is just so goofy.

Also, I'm in agreement with everyone else that it's best to leave work at work and try to relax at home. I'm a first year teacher and being as stressed as I was when I first wrote the original post, I decided to make some modifications to my current system. I've started staying later every day (2 hours after the last bell) in order to grade, create any quizzes or tests for the following day, organize (and plan.. if time permits). The only thing I've been doing at home lately is planning for the next day (takes about half an hour to an hour). Hopefully, I'll start planning weekly soon and then I'll have no work to take home! What I'm doing right now is much better than before though so I just thought I'd share with everyone : )

36. 1angel

1angel Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I brought a lot home the first couple of months this year (this is my second year but I am in a new grade). I really thought this new group of teachers would work well together, but they don't. I was burning out by October. So I started going home as soon as I could everyday and didn't take anything. I actually spent some time teaching straight out of the book. Which I don't normally do. A huge part of me felt guilty, but another huge part new that I had to do something to save myself or I would not continue to be a teacher (it doesn't help that I have a horrible group this year). So after a few weeks of that I calmed down and was motivated again. I set times for each day that I will not work after. Three days a week I leave 1 hour after the students do, 1 day a week I leave right at contract time (about 20 minutes after the kids), and 1 day I stay late about 2 1/2 hours.

On my short day I go straight home and enjoy the outdoors where I love to be or whatever to have a really fun day.

On the long day I bring in a snack that I will really look forward to and a DVD. I take a short break to eat and watch my DVD and then get to work. Generally this day is cleaning, copying, and planning.

Whatever doesn't get done just has to wait. Only if there is a truly huge reason will I bring it home--even then I'm not doing it at home--I'm finding I enjoy having me home time so much that I just end up dealing with it later on back at school!

I actually stopped going in early. I am not a morning person. So I still get up at the same time and spend a few minutes at home reading, watching TV, or having a nice breakfast instead of eating in the car on my way!

I have already decided next year I am cleaning out what ever room I am in. The teacher across the hallway got rid of almost everything. She doesn't spend any time organizing, putting anything back. I like her plan! She threw out all worksheets and papers. She used the Internet to find what she needs anyway. Threw out all of those 'just in case' books--again the Internet has it! She got rid of all her pre-made bulletin board supplies too. She has her class make things to decorate. They post them and they take them down. She writes all her own charts during mini lessons and then throws them away when the unit is done.

The only thing she really has is a huge library.
    Her room looks great. It's never messy. The kids can keep everything spotless since there's nothing there that they can't keep track of!

So next year I am going to follow her example. I have never once cracked open half the teacher books I thought I had to have, so why are they in my way?

37. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

I'm also lucky in the fact that on Tuesdays I have a classroom aide who helps me with all my copying. She also grades some papers for me, so on Tuesdays I dont usually ever take anything home. Now sometimes I have to do copying, but it's usually if I just find something last minute. This saves me A LOT of time to do other things because we all know that copying can take forever.

I don't usually mind taking papers home to grade. By the end of the day, I'm so tired of being in my classroom that I would actually rather grade them at home. Plus, being a 1st grade teacher, I dont really do a lot of so called "grading".