Are the subs considered a part of the staff for that day?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Subber, May 23, 2010.

1. Subber

Subber Companion

May 23, 2010

I would like the official status whether the subs are considered a part of the staff for that day or not. What do the regular teachers and staff think on this issue?

3. waffles

waffles Companion

May 23, 2010

They've always told me to part in faculty/staff parking and that if there food for the faculty/staff I should get some. Plus being able to use the staff bathrooms and workrooms.

4. Lovely1

Lovely1 Rookie

May 23, 2010

I would say yes. They are taking place of one of the faculty:)

5. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 23, 2010

I would say yes. I've had very welcoming experiences at one school in particular. They have invited me to eat with themduring catered in lunches, take part in their "spa" day (free manicures/eyebrow waxing) during teacher appreciation week! But it also might vary from school to school....or how well you are liked at the school.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 23, 2010

I don't think there is an "official" status on whether subs are considered staff... where are you going with this question?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

My thought as well...

A sub isn't a staff member but should be accorded respect and treated kindly.

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 26, 2010

I guess it's a personal thing. If you're talking in terms of taking part in staff things like treats in the lounge, I've had times when I walk in the door and they're trying to feed me. In general, though, I wait until invited for such things.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

It really depends on what you are talking about. If the staff picture is being taken, should a sub get in it? No.

If we are having a meal should a sub be invited to partake? Yes.

10. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 26, 2010

I feel like the staff at the school where I sub treats me as if I am one of them. I do wait to be invited for a "treat" in the lounge, and I don't assume I get any privelage or gift that is for the regular teacher. I am greated warmly, I am treated as a professional, I am included as much as possible, and the teachers don't pretend that I am invisible. When I think about it, I know I am really lucky to have the coworkers that I have!!! The teachers have enough on their plates, without having to roll out the welcome wagon, as well.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 28, 2010

I think subs should be treated with respect, courtesy, and appreciation by the regular staff. Which means they should be acknowledged for the job they are doing and are there if the sub should need any assistance.

12. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

I was invited to partake in the staff picture at a school i've previously subbed at. They knew me fairly well and I didn't assume that I would be included but when the time came for the photo the other staff were telling me to get on in it. I felt extremely welcomed.
    As for other schools i've generally felt welcomed and if there is a staff luncheon or morning/afternoon tea then I take part - i've never had a problem with that.
    As a sub I don't generally go to staff meetings but sometimes if there is a morning meeting and I arrive in time I may sit in and i've also sat in on stage meetings at a school that i've done plenty of subbing at. I wasn't required but was told that if I was interested then I could stay.