Are teachers allowed to have microwaves and/or fridges in their room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mr. Nobody, Aug 4, 2015.

1. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 21, 2019

I have a mini-fridge (the kind with the separate freezer that just looks like a small kitchen refrigerator), a microwave, and a keurig in my classroom. My classroom has a backroom off of it (some teachers use these spaces for student workspace, but being I don't have another adult to help supervise I don't let students back there) and I have it all back in that room away from students.

2. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 22, 2019

Wow! I am really surprised how it is in other places. I think the majority of teachers in our school have both fridges and microwaves. I can't imagine how they could charge you for that! Microwaves are often useful in elementary science and art.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2019

I think that science teachers sometimes get to have these things because of the content, but they often just end up being where everyone heats their lunch. I think the larger the school, and the higher grades, like HS, are going to have these somewhere, because teachers aren't mandated to be in the lunchroom. Many times there wouldn't be room to seat all of the teacher's in the teacher's room. Smaller schools, however, may simply think that they have plenty of teacher room space, and simply limit the appliances to those rooms. However, you only have to have one or two teachers who have legitimate need for these items to create a "permission" for everyone. I do think that the question of being able to keep students away from the appliances, secured, can be the factor that changes the outcome.

4. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Dec 6, 2019

Thread Revived!
    My school and school district is accepting of small appliances in the classroom. I used to have a mini-fridge in my classroom until I could not find space for it (when I moved to my SDC 2-4 class 9 years ago or so). I would use the staff lounge for the microwave, but I usually buy my lunch from the teacher cafe or forget to eat lunch (happens at least twice a week....). I almost always eat in my room.

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 6, 2019

My principal allowed teachers (one per grade level, though it got a bit out of hand beyond that) to have a microwave and mini-fridge in their classroom. A few people had Keurigs as well.

Then the fire marshal showed up about another issue (someone went over the principal's head to complain about something) and told her that all the fridges and microwaves had to go. So now everyone is cranky because we have two fridges and 3 microwaves in the building for all staff members.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2019

The fire marshal and those safety checks are what keep many appliances out of the school classroom. Many schools have antiquated electrical systems that have been added on to without completely redoing the entire system. It creates areas that can't handle to strain, so fire marshals are tasked with making sure that nothing on the system over-tasks the weakest part of the system. Although we might all like to have the amenities of home at school, it is not going to be possible in a majority of the districts. It is inconvenient, because we are used to having these things at our fingertips, but we can make changes that may not be exactly to our liking, but accommodates our facilities. Lack of a refrigerator is how I learned to drink my Coke lukewarm. I prefer it ice cold, but caffeine and sugar in any form can be acceptable as the day wears on. For the coffee drinkers, I can also drink coffee at the same room temperature. Humans are amazingly adaptable creatures!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 8, 2019

Laughing! I learned the same lesson, a very long time ago! Lots of people I know think it is so gross to drink cool coffee or a lukewarm soda. But ya learn to do what you need to do when it comes to caffeine! ;)

vickilyn likes this.