Are teachers allowed to have microwaves and/or fridges in their room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mr. Nobody, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

When I first began teaching, all teachers were allowed to have a microwave and a refrigerator in their classroom as long as it was kept in a discreet place.

A few years later, the county sent out a memo saying classroom teachers can no longer have them.

Is it like that where you all teach? Do you mind it? I have adapted (ie: thermos for hot food, cool pack for my salads and fruit), but have always missed having one.

Multiple microwaves and fridges are an energy drain, but people heating spaghetti without a paper towel so that it splatters everything are a patience drain.

Not to mention a repeat offender who brings in completely frozen dinners, sets the timer to 10 - 13 minutes then walks away, comes back just before the timer is about to go off, stirs their food, takes a taste, then puts it on for another 2 - 3 minutes. :rolleyes:

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

All depends on district policy, but usually, no - at least around here.

I know the high school in the district I live in can't support it - it was built in the 60s, electrical was never really upgraded after the 80s - it can't even support air conditioners in classrpoms.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

In my school, we're allowed to have a mini-fridge, but not a microwave.

5. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 4, 2015

Microwaves are not allowed where students can access them.

6. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

Oh my goodness! That must be rough during the warmer months. Our air conditioners work but they are old and will blow out warm air if you leave them on for more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time. It is uncomfortable for the teachers and students. The children complain, "turn on the air!" but then just as it is starting to cool the room, the cold air cuts out and it's all warmish

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 4, 2015

No scentsy or candle warmers. We can have mini fridges. But microwaves are discouraged. There are a few that have them.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2015

I've only worked at one school that allowed it and you had to pay a yearly fee. A lot of teachers would team up- one would have a microwave and one would have a mini-fridge and they would share.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2015

We are allowed to have both. Most have fridges, only a few of us have microwaves (I use mine more in science than anything.) We have to eat lunch with our kids, and most of us use the microwave in the cafeteria to heat our lunch. Sometimes the line gets a little long for it, but we make it work.

10. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

I have a fridge in my classroom but that's only because I'm in the big kindergarten room far away from the staff room and am required to have a snack time.

Only the staff room is allowed to have a microwave though.

11. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

The school I was in last year as a sub, teachers weren't allowed to have either of them. But there was at least 2 on each floor, hidden of course, but everyone, from the admin down knew who had them and no one seemed to care.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2015

We aren't allowed either.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

Nope although I think one teacher has a microwave and coffee pot. We have a fridge and microwave in the teachers lounge so I could use that but I rarely eat anything at school so it doesn't bother me.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2015

I have never worked at a school where they were banned.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2015

We have a faculty room with two fridges, two microwaves, two Keurigs. :)

16. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 5, 2015

This year I will have a full kitchen in my classroom.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

We are allowed to have mini-fridges, but not microwaves or space heaters.

18. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

That's awesome! Do u need it for instruction or did you just get lucky have it for just you to use?

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 5, 2015

I don't know if you're allowed, but I think it is better to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission.

20. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

Ha! JohnLee, That's a lesson I'v learned! Things get done faster that way! I love permission, but it seems easier to get after you prove your idea.

Two of our four teachers had mini fridges in their rooms. One used it for students to put their home lunches in and for fundraising stuff. She sold waters for class trips. Everyone would go to her room to buy it.

I wanted a coffee pot, but thought it might be dangerous with my 1st & 2nd graders. I know there are safe kinds, but I don't mind a quick run through the office/staff room to say hello and grab coffee before class starts.

Last year the admin said there was a policy against appliances in the classrooms. I didn't pursue it, but another teacher went to the board and asked to see the policy. It turns out we have none, but they may want to create one.

Things may be a bit different and more free in a one-school school district though.

21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

I'm not sure about my current school! We have amazing air conditioning and I'd hate to expect a fridge on top of that. My last school both were commonly seen in classrooms. I think I might be checking with my school, though, as I plan to pump after maternity leave and a mini-fridge would be handy.

22. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

I taught at a school where one teacher on each team could have a microwave and fridge. In my school I doubt I could. No other teachers do. We have one communal fridge and microwave and a staff of about 20 people. I invested in a lunch crock to avoid the communal microwave. I highly recommend it. My principal even got one after me, haha.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2015

We aren't allowed any appliances outside of the office, the staff room and the caretakers office. This is a board-wide policy for health and safety and insurance reasons. There can be some fairly hefty fines levied against the school if we aren't in compliance.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

When I first began teaching, we were allowed to have fridges and microwaves. Then, the district office said we needed to get rid of 'em.

They're slowly showing up in people's classrooms again. Admin mostly turn a blind eye to them. Personally, I couldn't care less if anyone has a mini-fridge or microwave in their room.

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

The thing that truly, truly irks me is when people leave explosions in the microwave and pretend like the person before them did it. I mean, c'mon--we alllll heard your food blow up in the microwave! :rolleyes:

Joyful!, Tired Teacher and RainStorm like this.
  26. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2015

I eat lunch in another teacher's room and she has her own fridge and microwave, so our little "lunch bunch" just uses hers. The funny thing is that I was just talking to another teacher who apparently asked when she first started at the school, and the principal told her no fridges or microwaves. I have no idea why she doesn't say anything to my friend about hers- especially since this friend is definitely not a "favorite!" Our lounge has two fridges, 3 microwaves, and 2 huge coffee pots, but we have a very large staff so it can still get crowded. The only thing I ever go in there for is coffee. My teammate actually brought in a kuerig for our room last year, but I found I actually preferred the taste of the cheap lounge coffee!

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

I have a mini fridge in my classroom, and as soon as I get my new room (I might have to stay in another classroom for a few minutes) I'm bringing in a microwave.
    It really does make life easier.
    In my fridge last year I kept yoghurt, juices and sports drinks as well as I could keep my water bottle, and put my lunch in there.
    This year I will probably make icecubes in the freezer part. I will also have some milk, and cereal kept in the desk, just in case I don't get a chance to bring lunch.

When I get my microwave, I can heat up my lunch or make soup, instead of going to the lunch room, where we have 1 microwave for everyone, which is also used to heat up some of the lunches kids bring in or buy. We only have 30 minutes lunch, and often 10 minutes go by because of this.

28. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 5, 2015

I teach self contained ESE. We'll be cooking this year! There's a dishwasher, washer, and dryer as well. Yay for life skills!

29. Rox

Rox Cohort

Aug 5, 2015

I've had refrigerators and microwaves in my room, but I find that my paraeducators see it as permission to cook, eat, and take their breaks during instructional time, and it's very distracting for students. :(

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

I don't really like using a communal microwave because it always smells like what the last person heated up. I will seriously get sick and upchuck if I smell someone microwaving fish. That should be outlawed because of the stench that lingers forever!

31. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I know the feeling. It does not make me ill but I still do not like smelling other people's food. Burnt popcorn also disgusta me. It smells so bad and lingers so long!.

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2015

I have always had them in my rooms because I can't stand cooking in the filthy teachers lounge microwave. I have never worked at a school where the microwave was clean! Makes me wonder what their homes look like!!

As far as communal fridges, someone is always stealing food.

33. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 5, 2015

I pay $60 per year to have a fridge in my room. I also have a microwave, but we aren't charged for those. The school provides us fridges to use, but the nearest one is upstairs in another wing if the building. The last time I used it, I had students steal my soda.

34. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

We can have a fridge and microwave, you just have to pay for an energy permit at the beginning of the year. I also have a mini keurig in my room.

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2015

We can have them if we pay a fee.

It's totally worth it!

36. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2015

I have both and most of the other teachers do also.

37. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 6, 2015

We're not even allowed to have a fan plugged in in our classroom unless it meets certain industrial qualifications.

So, we have communal. However, since we have 8 teacher's lounges in the school, I really only have to share with the 14 other history teachers.

38. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2015

Neither is allowed. Certain subjects are excepted though - science teachers can have a common one nearby for samples and experiments. Makes more sense for me to use a microwave to heat water than to get out a hot plate, take more time and worry about safety. All of the self-contained sped rooms have large fridges and microwaves, as well as coffee makers. No one says a word to them even though there is seldom an actual student need for the fridge. Never a need for the microwave or coffee maker.

39. pkfridges

pkfridges New Member

Nov 18, 2019

My aunty is teacher in school and she have midea refrigerator in her room.

40. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2019

It occurred to me; to science teachers use Bunsen burners to warm their food?

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 19, 2019

No, we don't. Doesn't mean that someone hasn't EVER tried it, but rather that you can find a microwave "somewhere" that will do a better job without the chances of getting burned.